5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have book on Breast Cancer
Published 22 months ago by Patricia

A good beginning reference for anyone recently diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer (TNBC). An accurate description of the disease and medical research, with footnotes and references. This allows the reader to research topics of personal interest in more detail.

Published 20 months ago by Michigan Mom

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have book on Breast Cancer, November 5, 2012
Patricia (San Diego, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Surviving Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: Hope, Treatment, and Recovery (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a marvelous book. When I ordered it I assumed it was the usual memoir on an encounter with breast cancer (I like those kinds of books) but this is so much more. Actually, she mostly covers the memoir part in the first 20 pages and then she gets down to the facts about this disease. She is primarily writing about "triple-negative" breast cancer (I'll let her explain what that is since she does it so well) but I think it is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in breast cancer. I wish I had had this book when I was diagnosed (same year as her - 2005 - and I am just 5 years older than she is). It would have explained so much and set me up to ask much better questions. She is not a doctor but a professor and a journalist and she has done her research in spades. The factual information is quite incredible. She carefully explains all about breast cancer and then tells you what to ask, how to deal with your doctors and with treatment options and she shares stories of others who have been through it. It is a very positive book, assuring readers that breast cancer is usually a survivable disease and she helps you confront the myriad decisions on treatment that usually overwhelm those newly diagnosed. And she helps you read all those dreadful statistics in a positive light. Throughout all this serious stuff, she is suddenly and unexpectedly funny! Quite a sense of humor. And I loved that she honestly shared her feelings and her fears of reoccurrence. Cancer makes you paranoid and she faces that quite honestly. I think many people will find that aspect very helpful.

Since the subject is breast cancer, I would like to share a few personal thoughts with those who are newly diagnosed. I had Stage IIa with extension to the lymph nodes and have been through the surgeries, chemo and fallout, and radiation but I want to say this: you will get over it. Most newly diagnosed patients will go on to live full lives. The initial diagnosis and treatment options are overwhelming. When I went to "chemo class" to learn what was coming, I walked out deciding to have no treatment at all - but of course I changed my mind when faced with the alternatives! But in the end it is really not that bad - there are definitely some miserable times (chemo blew out my gall bladder - it was full of gangrene!) but you get through them. When you are in the middle of it, it seems that for about a year the doctors take over your life - but then lo and behold you get your life back! It helped me that my 70-year old sister has been through breast cancer twice and (two different cancers) and now is fighting a lymphoma, but she still teaches every day and is deeply involved with her 6 small grandchildren. Her quality of life is good and the docs assure her that this latest cancer won't kill her. So hang in there - you do have a future. The fears will fade and you will go on with your life. Having had cancer just becomes the "new normal" in your life - it somehow just fits in and you get used to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview, but with a caveat, July 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book gives a detailed overview of triple negative breast cancer and its treatment. Prijatel includes real stories of triple negative breast cancer patients to illustrate the information.

A caveat: Some breast cancer patients prefer not to read about the specifics of prognosis, life expectancy, etc. They should not read this book. It might be anxiety-producing for those people. Everyone else will find it well-written and informative.

One quibble: The book has a LOT of statistics, perhaps a bit too much; there are many inset boxes detailing the results of studies, or providing epidemiological data, some of which was already summarized in the text. And not all the statistics were illuminating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to TNBC, but not final word on after treatment lifestyle, January 22, 2013

However, in terms of making treatment decisions and surviving TNBC, I found this book lacking. I guess this is where the footnotes become so important -- Prijatel provides a roadmap for TNBC, but leaves the reader with the responsibility to research topics in more detail. A reasonable approach to an information-rich topic.

The concluding recommendations for surviving TNBC are largely based on the author's personal experience, and I found this part of the book most lacking. She writes much about life style changes (meditation, diet, etc.), but only gives a mention of breast reconstruction, lymphedema, metastatic disease, etc. A comprehensive book, focused on a quality of life after treatment, should address such topics more completely.

Dr. Susan Love's Breast Cancer Book is another recommended reference about breast cancer, its treatment, and life afterward.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful guide for helping me to make sure do all I can to survive TNBC, October 18, 2012
I pre ordered the book, it arrived today, I am halfway through it by evening. I loved her writing style with bits of humor sprinkled through out. I have Triple Negative Breast Cancer and finish radiation in two days. I am thrilled to have found this roadmap to help me make sure I have all the information I need to help me survive TNBC. I am sure many women will benefit from this book. Thank you Patricia for your research!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Information in a great format, November 5, 2012
I am a triple negative breast cancer survivor. There is not a lot of information specifically for triple negative, so I read everything I can find. This book not only gives a large amount of information but weaves in stories of people who have battled it. This keeps you from getting bogged down with just facts -- it gives the human picture too. I am very interested in learning all I can. There are links to many web sites that give additional facts, studies, etc. I have found it to be a great resource and encouragement.

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Hopeful, August 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After surviving triple-negative breast cancer, the author/reporter investigates into negative breast cancer itself, something we don't hear too much about since everything seems aimed at positive breast cancer in the Media's eye. She writes about her experience, different treatment options and discovery as well as remaining hopeful throughout the ordeal. Very informative and optimistic read, a must for anyone going through this type of experience or knowing anyone close to them that is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal Narrative Plus Medical Information about Triple Negative, December 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Patricia Prijatel was diagnosed in 2006 with triple negative breast cancer. Neither I nor anyone close to me have had this diagnosis but I found myself in the position a couple a years ago of having to discuss this diagnosis with a client. It was quite painful because she knew almost nothing about the diagnosis-- her doctors were shockingly unwilling to spend the effort to explain things to her-- and although I searched the internet I couldn't find much digested information about the disease. Then it happened again. Had this book been available I would have at least had some information to offer so they would know the right questions to ask.

Part personal narrative and part scientific exposition Ms Prijatel leads the reader who wants basic information, through the biology of the disease while providing pointers to the research that supports it.

Recommended for those who want to know more about this disease for personal and professional reasons. I would also say that I wish more medical professionals would also read this to give them a greater understanding of what the individual and her family might be going through as they navigate these scary waters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learned A Lot!, September 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to say I don't have cancer, have never had cancer, hope to never have cancer but I wanted to learn more about it because anyone can get it. I was offered this book through the Amazon Vine program and thought it might be something to explore. I also wanted to read more medical/science books. Patricia Prijatel gives an overview of her diagnosis with Tripe Negative Breast Cancer and then goes on to discuss the disease and treatments for it. As a novice, I really don't know much about breast cancer except for the small amount of information that Angelina Jolie and other articles have discussed about her gene predisposition towards breast cancer. This book allowed me better insight into a disease I knew nothing about and was welcoming enough for me to understand most of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A personal trip thru a near-hell; with lots of medical info mainly in the last half..., December 26, 2013
Hans Castorp (Devon, Pa United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The title of this book seemed for me so unusual, I thought I'd read it if only for the learning experience. The fairly short (about 200 pages) described with absolute precision the feeling one gets when told of a cancer diagnosis. The family anguish, and hospital trips (including one terrific surgeon), and eventual recovery are all here. Plus the latter part is a great primer on the whole process of this disease, and will serve as a fine source for anyone in a similar situation. In 3 words.."Hope never ends!"...

5.0 out of 5 stars Survivving Triple Negative Breast Cancer, October 15, 2012
This book is thoroughly researched, informative and a good read, certainly a service to those of us blessed with such a troublesome disease.

Surviving Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: Hope, Treatment, and Recovery
Surviving Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: Hope, Treatment, and Recovery by Patricia Prijatel (Hardcover - November 1, 2012)
$27.95 $19.83