5.0 out of 5 stars Everything about sushi, from A to Z!
Published on April 1, 2004 by Peter Economy

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of info but lacks ilustrations
If you expect to find lots of pictures showing how to make sushi, look for a different book. I was quite frustated about this because it does not show how to cut the fish in a way that you can do it yourself. The book has a few bad illustrations and some pictures of already made sushi. That's it. Lots of good theories and good tips but I would look for a more complete...
Published on August 31, 2012 by Rafaela Norbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything about sushi, from A to Z!, April 1, 2004
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
Wow. I just finished reading Sushi For Dummies, and was amazed at just how much I learned. The authors have created what must be THE most complete and detailed guide to sushi available anywhere at any price -- and they have done so in a highly readable way, with just the right amount of humor. If you've ever been curious about sushi -- all the different ingredients and styles of sushi, how to make proper sushi rice (an important step in the process, which merits an entire chapter in this book), safe handling techniques, cutting and storing, history and traditions, proper sushi bar etiquette, and much, much more, then you will do no better than buying this book. Five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Look out! Here comes the Sushi expert..., April 14, 2004
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
After purchasing the book and reading a few of the recipes, I decided to give some of them a try for dinner. The instructions were so easy that I pulled off a sushi dinner for my family that they thought I had practiced making for days. I have taken a sushi making course before, but having the book with me while making dinner proved to be a much needed aid and I am glad I made the small investment. I have also been enjoying the other areas of the book that talk about Sushi Bar manners/etiquette, terms and definitions, and sushi party planning. Most cookbooks I have purchased are just used for recipies and not for reading or cultural education. This dummies book is actually interesting to read from cover to cover and gives the reader more depth than other cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sushi making instructions, June 9, 2005
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
After getting tired of spending $8 for two pieces of sushi at the local sushi bar, I decided to learn to make sushi at home.

I was not interested in spending the next 20 years learning to become a master sushi chef (or "itamae" in Japanese). I just wanted to have some good sushi without paying a fortune for what was basically nothing more than a couple tablespoons of rice and salmon roe.

I ordered and read several sushi books, including Sushi for Dummies. As a basic primer for learning how make sushi, this book can't be beat. Sushi is all about the rice, and hands down, the author has the clearest and easiest description of how to accomplish this task. It is like she is right there in your kitchen telling you exactly how to cook the rice (including soaking it beforehand, something other books neglected to mention) and what proportion of vinegar/sake to use.

The other instructions are equally superb. How to roll both traditional nori covered, and "inside out" sushi, and how to form cone sushi are all easy to understand and follow along.

Because I just wanted to learn how to make sushi, I skipped all the intro and history stuff. However, this information is included in case anyone else is interested.

Once you learn how make and roll sushi, it's time to look at some recipes. Admittedly, I have not yet tried any of the sushi recipes in this book, but intend to do so in the future. In the meantime, I did try some of the exotic recipes in D.K.'s Sansei Sushi from Hawaii, a book which I highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, May 16, 2004
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
As a sushi fan and amateur chef, I've struggled with this simple but challenging fare for years. This is the handbook I've always wanted. Concise, user friendly, smart and entertaining - here is the book that we've been waiting for.
I'm giving copies to friends and keeping mine right by my chopping block and rice cooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sushi demystified, April 9, 2004
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
This book actually gives you enough information to go to a sushi bar and NOT be a barbarian. It's easy to read and understand, and well organized. If you want to go the extra mile and prepare your own sushi, the directions are clear and easy to follow, with tons of side information (like how to know if the fish is REALLY fresh) and fun ideas. I found the part on correctly making the vinegared rice especially helpful, and the diagrams on how to cut things are great! There is also a section on manners which I found fascinating. This book is interesting as well as useful!

4.0 out of 5 stars "For Dummies" marches on!, May 30, 2007
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
This is the first "For Dummies" book I've seen with pictures. It's a nice try, but I wouldn't make this my only sushi cookbook. The explanations are pretty good and well in keeping with the "for dummies" tradition. I think sometimes they waffle a little bit on principles (saying one thing, but then admitting that they do it another way).

After reading reviews for this rather unlikely book and for another book with reputedly superb photography, I elected to purchase both and I wasn't disappointed: the other book with the amazing illustrations wasn't expensive and the two really complement each other: The Complete Book Of Sushi! The price is right: buy both.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't feel so dumb any more!, April 27, 2004
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is terrific. Sushi is all about technique and the authors have managed to convey those techniques clearly and simply. It demystifies the process and explains all those Japanese terms that I can never remember. I only wish it were bigger (next edition, Wiley???)

5.0 out of 5 stars No Longer A Dummy!, April 10, 2004
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
I have been a sushi lover for some time now and have just recently realized that I have been a dummy when it came to how vast and versatile sushi really is. (I never thought about having fruit, cheese, or guacamole as ingredients). This book has so many great recipes, I can't try them fast enough. And who would have thought that it is this easy? Beyond the recipes I love all the history and information on Japanese culture. This book was truely enjoyable to read and will be of permanent use in my kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like having a teacher right with you, November 9, 2006
C. McNamee (Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
I loved this book. I have bought other sushi books that SAY they can teach you sushi, but end up just being picture books of one style. This book has all of the favourites from the restaurants and an outstanding set of directions for how to CUT the sashimi! This is the only book you will ever need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written and informative, April 3, 2007
Melanie (King George, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sushi For Dummies (Paperback)
I used this book to make sushi over the weekend and found it to be very instructive and simple to use (as well as humorous and pleasant to read). I followed the directions for making the rice on the stove top and it turned out perfect! The detailed maki-rolling instructions/diagrams were easy to follow, and my rolls ended up looking (and tasting) great! My friends were all impressed. I also learned a ton about the cultural aspects of sushi that I didn't know before, and I considered myself fairly knowledgable.

The only reason I give four stars instead of five is that I didn't feel there were enough recipes for different types of rolls, or nearly enough pictures. But the focus of this book is on technique and the process of making sushi (not necessarily recipes) and for that it was invaluable. I plan to purchase another book to use solely for recipes.

Side Note: The only other special equipment I purchased was the Joyce Chen Sushi Mat and Rice Paddle Set. You can make great sushi using the techniques in this book without buying a lot of extra kitchen gadgets. I turned my rice out onto a large plastic bowl and it worked great.

Sushi For Dummies
Sushi For Dummies by Judi Strada (Paperback - April 2, 2004)
$16.99 $13.13