Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 21, 2010
If you are used to eating the pink colored (artificial) ginger sushi slices, you will be disappointed with this product, just like I was. The reason I tried it was the fact that they do not add artificial colorants to it. Nor do they add any sugar. But!!! They add tons of salt! It is so salty, I can't eat it at all. I put it into a big bucket of water, to let the salt leak out. So far, after 5 rinses, it is getting milder. But, the salt takes away from the natural gingery taste. Why oh why did they have to do that? If I have to choose between a vinegar-sugar mix or a vinegar-salt mix, I will pick the sugar anytime, when it comes to pickled ginger. By the way, the saltwater-vinegar blend makes up 10 % of the product weight indicated (I drained and measured it). I now replaced it with a sherry vinegar plus some sugar. I'll let it sit for some days in the fridge and see if it becomes edible. In conclusion, this was not a great buy, especially when adding the cost of the bottle of vinegar (5.90) and the sugar, and the time to work it up.
Unless you like it extremely salty, in which case, you'll be really happy!
One more thing: what do you do with all that ginger in a plastic pouch, once you open it? This is terrible packaging! How about a jar with a screwcap? That would definitely help with storage! (I had to find myself a glass jar to put it into.)
review image review image review image
on September 11, 2013
Pickled ginger is a better name for this product. Don't expect the same taste of the Sushi Restaurant ginger. This has less vinegar and more salt. Probably much healthier than the pink, sweet ginger, but definitely different. I put the portion I can eat in fresh water for a couple minutes to get rid of the salt, rinse, sprinkle with a little rice vinegar and it tastes all right. Price is right !
on March 25, 2010
This pickled ginger as good as more expensive, smaller packages. A good example is Eden Ginger, Pickled with Shiso Leaves, 2.1-Ounce Container (Pack of 6), which sells on Amazon for $29.17. Buy this big bag instead and pay about $5 less for 3 times more product!

Have one large or several smaller storage container(s) at hand and transferring the contents out of the bag as soon as it's opened. Keep it all in the fridge. The ginger tends to loose some of it's bright pink color when exposed to air. Keeps well, even if the fades color, is not spoiled.

Makes a great, homemade salad dressing ingredient. Add a tablespoon or two of the pickled ginger, 1 or 2 peeled cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of a nice olive oil to a blender. Puree it until it's emulsified and pour over your fresh greens.
on July 9, 2016
It does not taste like sushi ginger. Not only is the flavor unsatisfactory, it is so salty it is inedible. I will have to find out where my sushi maker gets his or I will try some recipes. Before I throw it away, I will try rinsing and soaking it. It can't come out good because it's not just the salt. The other one Amazon sells in the small jar, I bought in a market. It's bad too.
on January 13, 2016
I'm not a fan of the sicky sweet restaurant stuff. I have been searching forever for a real pickled ginger. Well I will look no further. Wonderfully pungent, rich pickled taste. Great product for those of us avoiding sugary , artificially colored inferior product.
on April 24, 2015
I like it. A little salty, but no sugar, which is what concerned me. I filled some 1/2 pint mason jars and then froze, so don't need ginger for a long while. Ginger can be rinsed if necessary.
on December 11, 2015
To me this taste perfect and I will order more when I need some :)