Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on July 8, 2014
This excellent book was a worthwhile read and I am glad that wfoever first read it reccommended it to me.
on December 23, 2014
I would describe The Suspect as OK, not great - particularly when compared with Say You're Sorry, which is the first Joe O'Loughlin book I read (very out of order). While there is some interesting plotting and some decent characters, I feel the book was way too reliant on tired tropes about marriage and women, but perhaps part of this was down to rookie mistakes. (I was particularly surprised by how stereotypical some of the female characters were given the much more dimensional views in Say You're Sorry.) Overall, it's a decent enough way to pass the time although you may get irritated a bit along the way; and it's helpful as an introduction to what I suspect are some much better books later in the series.
on July 18, 2014
I've never read anything by Michael Robotham. This was among over 50 mystery novels - and thrillers, police procedurals, etc - that I won in a raffle. Lucky me. This is a well-crafted story, set in London, with a sympathetic protagonist - Joseph O'Laughlin, a psychologist with a loving family -- but struggling with a recent diagnosis of Parkinson's disease. O'Laughlin tries to unravel a complex tale of murder and torture that goes back some number of years. While it may be a little too convoluted - the book moves well as the author is an excellent writer. He has some fabulous choices of phrasing and gives his protagonist a good sense of humor. I'll read another book by Robotham.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2009
I've accidentally read Shatter, Lost and Suspect in reverse order. No matter! Each stands alone as an action-packed, high-octane thriller. Suspect is equal to Lost and Shatter in plot tightness, and fine balance of action and inner monologue. The characters are real and compelling. Michael Robotham is emerging, for me, as a plot-master, with a unique voice and ability to build suspense.

I listened to Suspect unabridged on audio CD, narrated by Simon Prebble. Prebble does a fine job capturing the mood, pace and voices of the story.
on January 15, 2009
This was my first read of a Robotham novel. I liked it. A British thriller, it has the dry tongue in cheek humor. The story unfolds nicely & the book just keeps moving along. It doesn't bog down with unnecessary details or wasted verb-age.
It leads you to pick suspects who have to be the killer; both in the reader's & hero's thinking. When you figure the suspect is a sure bet, there's a change in direction. There's a nice little twist at the end. Not the most prolific thriller out there, but very enjoyable & well worth your time
on October 12, 2010
Long flights and layovers....this book was a lifesaver! It is my first book by Michael Robotham and I can hardly wait to read the rest of his stories. This one had an unforgettable lead character, good character development of the secondary characters, and excellent attention to plot points and detail. As a lover of well written and well plotted murder mysteries I am delighted to find this author and know he has more books waiting for me!!! I would recommend this to anyone who wants an intelligent bit of escapism!
on July 17, 2010
A London psychiatrist finds himself suspected of multi murders after the police ask him identify a body in the morgue and he knows the woman. Robothem keeps the reader twisting and turning throughout the story.
Stricken with Parkinson disease, suspected of murder, caught in the act of infidelity, internally combating issues with his father and his expectations: how much more can the main character endure... an intriguing approach to a psychological thriller. A very fast moving read.
on November 12, 2014
Loved Book One of this series! Pleasantly surprised to discover that the protagonist is a psychologist with a background in medicine and not a detective or a lawyer ! The characters are well-defined and the narrative is detailed, intricate with fascinating and surprising twists throughout. Since the series is set in England, it's interesting to discover the many differences between American English and British English. I intend to go on to the next book. Bravo Michael Robotham!
on February 23, 2005
I am a huge fan of the thriller genre and in particular of James Patterson and of Tess Gerritsen, but I've got to tell you that Michael Robotham's "Suspect" is one of the best thrillers I've ever read! I love the characters! I love the local color! Reading the book was like listening to a friend tell a very engrossing, very frightening story! I couldn't put it down...I read the whole thing in one sitting! I can't wait for "LOST"! Mr. Robotham has a fan!
on April 13, 2011
Well, I ruined some of the suspense in this book because I read Shatter first not realizing it was a series so, I was going to give it 4.5 stars but then realized it was unfair bc I was the one who read them out of order. This book - wow - what can I say about? I loved it. More twists than a crazy straw. And I just adore Joe. Basically, it was a who done it but with so much intensity I couldn't put it down.

I will recommend Michael Robotham over and over and over again.