1,635 Reviews
 (1,170)

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspect
This is the story of Maggie, an ex Military Work Dog who is severely injured in the line of duty in Afghanistan.
Scott James is a police officer who is reassigned to the K-9 division when his partner Stephanie is killed and he is severely wounded in the line of duty.

It's a long road back for both of them, as Maggie and Scott each suffer from PTSD...
Published 20 months ago by Cphe

2.0 out of 5 stars No real action and to straightforward to be a mystery
Published 11 months ago by Drew (@drewsant)

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspect, January 18, 2013
Cphe (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suspect (Kindle Edition)

Maggie becomes Scotts partner and they must both work to overcome their handicaps and learn to work together and trust each other. The bond between them strengths and grows as Scott works to uncover the perpetrators involved in his shooting and Stephanie's murder.

Whilst the book is an excellent mystery, involving corrupt cops, murder, greed and larceny it is really the story of two misfits who are no longer regarded as a viable, productive unit.

Maggie is the heroine of this book and a very worthy heroine she is. She will give her all, and put her life on the line to protect her Alpha over and over again.

I really loved the story from Maggie's point of view. How she looked at the world. I knew very little about what Military Working Dogs or their K-9 counterparts actually did. It is interesting reading, the intensive training and commitment that is expected from these wonderful animals. They give so much.

I've never read this author's work prior to this book, but if they are the quality, standard of this one then I've been missing some quality work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crais best, most in depth writing yet. Please more of this series, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Hardcover)
Awesome book! We feel great sadness for the reviewer who failed to appreciate the accuracy and insight of Crais's description of human animal relationships. We don't know he did it but Crais captured the human dog interaction as well as we have ever seen. Dogs were not literally domesticated, as were cattle and horses. They and humans developed a symbolic relationship. There is interdependence, not co-dependence, which exists nowhere else in nature on such a regular basis.

My wife and I have been rescuing severely abused Dobermans since 1995. We have taken dogs that other good people have not been able to help. Fortunately we have had significant success. Crais compressed the time needed for rehabilitation in these cases as he acknowledges, but the overall description is something only truly recognized by those who have experienced it. We have had dogs who were almost beaten to death, or starved past saving, or so injured as to require months of daily care. And they have come back to be the most loving and caring companions imaginable.

My wife and I both are Criminal Justice Professionals and receive threats on a regular basis. My my wife has been disabled for the last 5 years, yet I never have to worry about her at home by herself because four large Dobermans stand guard with their lives and provide constant love and companionship. They also guard and include in their pack our four cats.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUSPECT---A Gripping and Wonderful Story, January 22, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Kindle Edition)
This tale will grip you from the first page. I have not read a book in one sitting for many years--but I did read Robert Crais' latest "Suspect" with only a few interruptions for soda and snack. The two new members of the Crais cast are a wounded military dog named Maggie and a wounded LA Cop named Scott James. Though both are badly damaged they refuse to quit on their chosen careers and join forces to both heal themselves, vanquish their own hidden demons and still pursue the murderous pack who killed Scott's partner and almost killed him. For the older readers this is a "grown up" tale of a man and his dog in the genre of the best episodes of Rin-Tin-Tin or Lassie, which were popular in our youth. It is rewarding to watch as these two seriously wounded individuals bond and become a cohesive "pack" looking out for each other's welfare and aiding each other in their quest for justice and healing. Let us hope this is the first in a long running series of Scott and Maggie adventures. I very highly recommend this book. Robert Crais has excelled with this new offering. Do not miss out--pick it up and read it. Though, fair warning--once you start reading you won't stop till the final page is turned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book EVER, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Kindle Edition)
I was a K9 handler for 7 years. This book captured the partnership better than anything I ever read. I was hooked from the first word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maggie and Scott...I want more., January 24, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Hardcover)
I could not put it down. I read it too fast and now must wait forever for a new book. Mr. Crais, please stop being so cruel and give us more than one book a year. Now I don't know what to wish for...Elvis and Joe or Scott and Maggie. I love them all. I really hope there will be more Scott and Maggie books. Maybe Mr. Crais could give us one Scott and Maggie book and one Elvis and Joe book a year. Sounds like a good idea, huh?

5.0 out of 5 stars "A MASTERPIECE OF CRIME, LOYALTY, AND HEROISM!", January 22, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Hardcover)
Bestselling author, Robert Crais delivers a crime thriller that draws the reader in immediately with a compelling story that mesmerizes from beginning to end. I love dogs from when I was a child, and love crime thrillers, and this author creates a story with unforgettable characters as you crave for more. This is my first read of this author, but it will not be my last. My only regret is not finding his books in the past. Robert Crais does not disappoint, and I rate him as high as I value the books of James Patterson. The story begins with the life history of Maggie, a military dog, injured in the line of duty. Scott James, a police officer, also injured in the line of duty teams up with Maggie to work together on investigations of finding evidence for Scott's shooting, and his partner's killer. Maggie and Scott have a lot in common as they try to combat their disabilities, and learn a great deal from each other. The bond they share could never be broken as their trust continues to build. The author draws a colorful portrait as he portrays the true meaning of dedication and loyalty, while introducing to the reader the training and commitment required to work as such a team. This riveting, emotional story is told through the eyes of Maggie as it tugs at the heart. A mystery of corruption, greed, murder, and much more. The hero is a character we will remember, long after this book is closed. Entertaining, heartfelt, suspenseful, and highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, February 7, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Kindle Edition)
With no Joe or Elvis, I was apprehensive that I would not enjoy this book. I could not have been more wrong. It was a wonderful story. I loved all the characters and I sure hope we see them again in later books. Maggie was, of course, my favorite and I loved the chapters written from her point of view. I hated for it to end! Great book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like crime fiction and love dogs, BUY THIS BOOK., February 4, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Hardcover)
I always look forward to a new Robert Crais book because he is one of the very best writers. I was a bit sad at first that he is introducing new characters in this book but I am not sad any more. I almost never write Amazon reviews because I have to hunt and peck the letters out on my Kindle. This book was worth the effort. I couldn't put it down and sacrificed sleep to keep reading. The story is great, the characters really pulled me in to their plights because of the trauma they suffered and the descriptions of the emotions being felt, and the canine protagonist caused me to immediately fall in love with her! I was extremely impressed with this latest novel. A riveting, exciting and much anxiety-producing read..It would be a shame to not have the story continue in another book!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5SUSPECT NEW HERO, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Kindle Edition)
Happy with this new LAPD K-9 character. Looking forward to more of these loving partners! Hurry with the next mystery.

2.0 out of 5 stars No real action and to straightforward to be a mystery, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Suspect (Hardcover)
This book paints an interesting look at police K-9 teams, has interesting characters, but fails to deliver when it comes to real action and mystery. The book primarily follows Scott the new K-9 officer but offers glimpses from the dog's, Maggie, perspective. The majority of the book focuses on their interaction and is a good lesson on how to evolve characters, but the plot is nearly in the background. There isn't much action for a "thriller" and the mystery is pretty straight forward, but if you like dog (I do) and want to read about dogs (I don't really want to) you'll probably like this book.

Suspect
Suspect by Robert Crais (Hardcover - January 22, 2013)
$27.95 $20.36