Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 5, 2008
This was a well written text book that gives an introduction to a great number of important fields. It does a particularly good job giving a fair treatment to some options that are often overlooked in books on sustainable energy such as geothermal and nuclear energy. It also gives a good background in the economics of electricity and liquid fuels.

It is however already quite dated. The book was published right before the price of oil started to soar, and completely didn't see it coming. Many statements support the idea that oil will be cheap for many decades to come. They certainly were not alone in not seeing this coming, but it is sometimes hard to take them seriously on other subjects when they keep referring back to the low price of oil.
on March 2, 2010
I've been working in the energy field for the past few years, and this is one of the few references I've found that describes all of our energy options with real depth. Information is well organized and systematically laid out. The book is, as others have pointed out, unfortunately already outdated.
on April 11, 2014
This book was one I was required to buy for a class, and it was overall an interesting book, with a large repertoire of information. There are only two problems I want to highlight. One, the book was very wordy and somewhat informal. This might be better for some people but it was not something I liked. I felt I could have been told the information much more succinctly. Two, the questions at the end of the book (which are presumably used for homework, as they were in my case) were horrible. To answer the questions it takes many external resources as the book does not delve deeply enough into its own themes. There were also a few typos in the book, but I have yet to encounter a textbook that does *not* have typos.
on May 11, 2014
As a student with little to no experience in the field, some topics and language can be overwhelming. As an electrical engineer, I have some background into the technologies presented. However, some concepts are either presented lightly or ambiguously. The later chapters cover some technologies in-depth and present their uses and future well. However, the intro chapters present a steep learning curve for the reader.

Would recommend as a reference.
on September 6, 2013
I use this book as the reference for Sustainable Energy Systems course in my program of study. It's a thousand-pages book which covers many aspects of sustainability around various energy sources. I have gone just through two first chapters of the book and cannot provide more comments about the contents. I got the book from "firstclassbooks" which was slightly cheaper that other sellers. Packaging was OK and it was delivered in 7 days which is pretty normal for standard shipping.
on February 14, 2014
I love this book. It is relevant and puts the current energy issue in quantitative terms that are understandable. It is not "Energy resources for Dummies," so I will warn you of that. But if your brain works, you enjoy learning, and you aren't afraid of graphs and tables, you will find that this book is packed with fascinating information.
on May 2, 2011
We are consuming our world, there is no doubt about it... the main problem today are greenhouse gases and the planet overheating... but the truth is that earth passed during the past milleniums trough a serie of climate changes, some of them with the presence of human beings, some other without humans. Our kind already faced one ice age, but... are we ready to face a new climate change?, the earth will survive, but, if we are not ready to face this changes, will we survive this??
This book is a overview of what human activity have done to our planet, and some answers on how to reverse the situation. Maybe we still have some time to react...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2010
If you're a beginner or someone with more experience, this is the "one book" to purchase in the area of energy and sustainability. Useful, practical content at a level that allows you to refresh or build on your knowledge in the area.
on November 3, 2013
This book is good if you want to read through all 1000+ pages, but it's not a good book for actually going through and calculating values for different energy methods.
on March 29, 2014
A book not only cover various energy technologies but also discuss the pro and con among them. A must should be read for sustainable energy.