5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch for military use
Published on March 20, 2010 by Burned Ham

1.0 out of 5 stars I've had problems with build quality
Published on November 12, 2010 by a reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch for military use, March 20, 2010
About 2 months ago my G-Shock was stolen at the gym, and as disappointed as I was to lose it, it finally gave me an excuse to get a Suunto. The Core wasn't originally my first choice, but it has proven to be a good one. My job (Marine M1A1 mechanic) requires that my gear be tough, and after 2 months without leaving my wrist, it looks the same as the day I bought it. It is packed with features, many I probably won't ever use, but it is very easy to navigate through the various menus and features. Set up was a cinch as well, it probably took no more than 5 minutes to set up the whole watch the way I needed it. I would recommend this watch to anyone with an active outdoor lifestyle, in the military, or merely in need of a tough, feature-packed, and attractive watch.

Update:

I have had the watch for a year and a half now and it is still going strong. It has survived a deployment to Afghanistan with only very minor scratches on the bezel ring. I cannot express how impressed I am with this watch. It has survived large explosions from close range, extreme heat (both from the Middle East and from the turbine engines I work on, very fine dust, impacts, etc. This thing has never skipped a beat.

1.0 out of 5 stars I've had problems with build quality, November 12, 2010
I got the Core in Dec. 2009. About 8 months later pixels in the AM/PM area of the display as well as a horizontal line simply no longer functioned. I dropped it off at my local Tourneau dealer for service (I bought it off Amazon). The watch was still under warranty and Tourneau shipped if off for service (I felt customer service at Tourneau was top notch). I got the watch back today. They replaced the entire watch except for the band. Everything looked in order (display was looking good) until I tried out the illumination button. Alas, the pixels work, but now the illumination is not working correctly. It is very dim (I changed the batteries to see if that was the problem) and the illumination is not uniform. You can read it but with difficulty. As the watch before the service had a great illumination I know something is wrong. I'm going to have to take the watch back tomorrow and have them send it back. In essence I've received two watches and both have had serious problems.

This is an update. Today is 8-1-11. My watch's LED died again. As always my local Tourneau was very helpful even though I bought the watch from Amazon. I got a new watch a few days ago. So far it is working. To sum up, this is my 4th watch (initial purchase and three replacements). Hopefully this one will work for the long haul. All the watches they've provided use a lot of battery, batteries on this model need to be replaced every 4 months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Core = Evolutionary Improvements over Vector, May 29, 2011
pablocasal "pablocasal" (Cupertino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I used to use the Vector, which was their previous entry-level ABC (Altimeter-Barometer-Compass) watch. I just got the Core after waiting for Suunto to shake out the kinks, and I like what they have done. The Core is an attractive watch that is easier to read than the Vector, with what appears to be a user-friendlier interface.

Suunto offers five buttons on the watch, and they are used reasonably well. The click-throughs to get to functions have not changed all that much, but they seem a bit more logical and easy to learn. The amount of information that is readily displayed has not changed all that much, but it is easier for me to spot. Moreover, they've added some helpful add-on's that I do not remember from the Vector (sunrise/sunset, e.g.).

Where I am headed with this watch, the ambient temperature is going to be way above whatever my body will put out, so that is not an issue for me. However, like all watches, strap it to your backpack if you want a true reading at all times.

One thing I have noticed is that the Core takes a much different take on how the altimeter should function than the Vector. Therefore, setting the watch to beep every X-feet of gain/loss no longer seems to be an option (at least if it is there, it is so deeply buried that it is practically gone). In its place. the Core takes a more holistic approach to AB functions, and offers what they call the "Storm Alarm." It recognizes that altimeters are affected by barometric conditions, and vice versa. Therefore, while the watch offers a very useful altimeter, the baseline assumption is that it must be set at the beginning of a day, or reset according to known waypoints as weather fluctuates. This appears to be a much more realistic approach. Meanwhile, if you know that you are on a flat plain and the Storm Alarm comes on, then some system is coming your way.

The compass is fine--just set the declination when you get there.

The backlight is more than serviceable for use in darkness.

Two notes on appearance.

1. The watch is not ostentatious to my eyes. Rather, it appears very functional and much "cleaner" in look than the Vector. However, know that it has a very large surface, so it will be noticed. I am using it for everyday use, as well as for my adventures. However, if you are looking for whimsy, this might not fit the bill.

2. My elderly mother loved my Vector because the numbers where large. I suspect she would like the Core even more.

Primary uses: everyday use (i do a lot of public speaking, so legibility is a plus); travel; cycling; skiing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great For looks, June 7, 2014
I bought the watch two months before a military deployment to Kenya and for those two months i loved it but never used any of its features. About three months into the deployment we decided we were going to summit one of Kenya's highest peaks( a Great chance to show off my new watch) the watch had not acted up before but once we got to about 13,000ft and the temperature dropped below freezing the watch stopped working and gave the low battery symbol.(After 5 months?) I was upset but had a back up GPS with altitude thank goodness. Once we arrived back at base camp i took the battery out and replaced it and it works again for now, still low battery warning though. (no batteries here in Kenya). The twisting Compass top piece also fell off along with the ring underneath it after about 6 months of use, and all the paint from the metal ring has scrapped off and looks like garbage. For an active outdoor person, just go buy a nice Oregon GPS. No need to have this.

Cons:
** Over Priced
** Not Accurate
** Have to adjust altitude off of the ALT signs on the mountain every time ( off by hundreds)
** Automatic Depth/Alto profile doest not work
** Not very durable
** Battery Freezes at cold temps

Pros:

** Tells time like a champ

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 2, 2014
After six months of use, this watch is on the same set of (standard, easy-to-find) batteries.

It survived a NOLS semester course, and its many functions were incredibly useful while in the backcountry.

The compass is accurate, the timers useful and easy-to-use, sun rise and set times handy, backlight bright and legible, and face not too easy to scratch.

It is comfortable enough to wear 24/7, although you'll need to take it off your wrist if you want to have it read the temperature.

For me, this watch is too ugly to wear in the frontcounty.

Verdict: Completely beat my expectations, and is excellent overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Watch But Not the Best Choice for Law Enforcement Use, January 27, 2014
D. Mullane (Pico Rivera, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I've had my Suunto Core Regular Black for over six months, having purchased it used from an eBay auction in June 2013. I am a watch fanatic, and I was impressed by the Core's large digital display, so, when I found a good deal, I snatched it up. Although the Core is a fantastic watch for all its functions, as I work in law enforcement, on patrol, I need a watch that does some things that the Core does not. Here is my critique of the Suunto Core, positive and otherwise, with respect to its use as a duty watch, after my having worn it exclusively for the last six months.

The Suunto Core is a large watch, with a 50mm diameter, and it has a very uncluttered display, with a lot of empty space. It is appealing to look at and definitely exudes a tough, cool character. After six months of wearing it, I have yet to scratch the crystal or rub off more than a few tiny dots on the outside edges of the bezel. This is a rugged watch. It looks like a cop watch and probably draws the same kind of attention that my cargo pants do when I wear either off-duty.

All watch bands should be as nice as the Suunto Core's. The silicone band blends with the watch nicely, and the five serrations on both sides of the band have a gentle curve that compliments the curvature of the bezel. The buckle is excellent, with rounded edges and a tongue that is 1 cm wide and snuggles into the frame effortlessly. The holes in the band are perfectly spaced, and the retention band for the strap has a small tooth that snaps into place, securely preventing the strap from coming loose, something that I have yet to see on any other watch band. The band is quite soft, especially in comparison to Casio bands, and it hugs my wrist snugly without being uncomfortable, restraining the watch from twisting out of position on my wrist.

In daylight and indoors, the Core's digital display is the easiest to read of any digital watch I own, and that includes Casio G-Shocks and Pathfinders. The time display numerals at 1 cm are nearly twice as big as those on my Casio Pathfinder (6mm). Even at an extreme angle, where the LCD turns from its light grey background to the purple-green haze, it's very easy to read the time. At night, as long as there is just a little bit of ambient light, such as vehicle headlights, overhead street light, or a full moon, the display can be read a lot more easily than my Casio's.

That being said, it makes me wonder why Suunto could not develop a decent electroluminescent (EL) display, as it is a pale, dim green, which makes it difficult to read quickly. Casio backlights are far superior to Suunto's in terms of brightness and color. Even in a well-lit indoor room, I can see the Casio's green glow and read the display still; on the Suunto, I will not see the EL at all, and the digital numerals will be washed out, which is odd. The Suunto Core also lacks an automated electroluminescent function, so I have to push a button in order to light up the face, rather than have it automatically activate as I roll my wrist over in the natural motion of viewing a wristwatch.

Although I have yet to replace the battery, I know the Core is energy hungry, which may be why the time needs to be corrected regularly, once a month. I don't think a digital watch should be off by an entire minute after sixty days, but my Suunto is. I was spoiled by my Casios that received an atomic clock signal from Fort Collins, Colorado, but even my Casio Pathfinder that does not have this function is only off by mere seconds every year. Luckily, replacing a CR2032 on the Suunto is an easy task.

The Suunto will display time in hours and minutes, but does not allow for a 24-hour time readout. Also, if I want seconds displayed as numerals, then the date will not be displayed, as these functions use the same line on the LCD. There is a digital second hand, but it turns off after a few minutes and needs to be reactivated by pushing the light button, which is irritating. Since I often need to get time in hours, minutes, and seconds at a moment's glance on duty, this is a dealbreaker for me.

I like the myriad functions Suunto has programmed into the Core, such as the sunrise-sunset predictor, the superbly accurate altimeter and barometer, and the large compass display, but I rarely use them. Suunto wasn't trying to make a military or law enforcement watch with the Core. While I can recommend the Suunto Core in general as an excellent, rugged digital watch, I would not use it on-duty because of the shortcomings I've listed.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, April 28, 2013
I have used this watch through two deployments to Afghanistan and it is amazing. Still use it to this day, every day. My dog got a hold of it and chewed the wristband so I had to get a new one but everything is great now. Plus it looks great. I love this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice looking watch, September 5, 2013
If you want a watch with compass and baro/alti features that also looks good, this watch accomplishes that in my opinion. There are some comments on the visibility of the display. Again, if the looks is in your list, and the black background is appealing to you, then the visibility won't bother you much. It is true that visibility is not the best. It is hard to see in some angles or low light environments (without backlight). So if visibility is top on your list, this might not be the right watch for you.
I hope this helps, good luck!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good watch with some shortcomings., August 9, 2013
I was hoping to love this, but a few things bother me. The good: comfortable to wear, accurate instruments for a watch, sleek look, intuitive menus (subjective) The bad: battery life, prone to scratches/damage if used for its' intended outdoor purpose, fairly dim display even when backlit. At added cost, I would love to see a fortified solar version with a reserve and a backup battery. Water resistance is decent, but no where near my Casio Mudman 9300, which was half the price and put up with a LOT more abuse. Granted, the Mudman does not have an alti/baro function, but for me those are more of a want vs. need. I am fine with world time, compass, alarm, timer etc. Battery is user serviceable, but expect about 6 months period between changes with normal usage. Great concept, great styling, but the execution is lacking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great looks...poor performance, July 9, 2014
Did not purchase through amazon, but have had two core watches over the past three years. Unfortunately, the watch does not perform as well as it looks. Both previous watches I have had have run into some sort of issue. Whether it was the battery malfunctioning, the bevel falling off, or the watch just not operating correctly, something has gone wrong with every watch I have had. Suunto has been great taking care of any issue that is covered under warranty, but overall a disappointing watch.

Suunto Core Altimeter Watch Sahara Yellow, One Size