Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Price:$284.99 - $400.00

on August 8, 2012
I have tried my share of watches with heart rate monitors. I acquired the Suunto AMBIT to get GPS coverage and also heart rate information. In the past I have resorted to use of a cell phone with an ANT+ adapter to get map information combined with heart rate data. The Suunto is a fairly thick watch, but also highly rugged. I have used it as my regular watch for close to two month. I run 3 times per week and I have to charge the watch 1-2 per week. The display is easy to read and the functionality is intuitive. The information provided by the watch is really nice and very helpful to track your progress, your routes, ... I would love the watch even more if they had the functionality to upload running data to sites such as RunKeeper or Endomondo. RIght now you can upload but only to the Suunto site which is covered by a much smaller community. The time to first fix (when it acquires GPS localization) is typically 1-2 minutes and it is quite slow if you run in a metropolitan area due to limited views of the sky. Other than this a fantastic watch.
on December 27, 2013
Have had this watch for about 4 months and used it over 20 times.

Here are the problems I am experiencing:

The watch pauses too easily. If you wear it inside any sort of a jacket it will likely pause while in exercise mode. I had read this before I bought it but figured it couldnt be as bad as some people had suggested. It is. This by itself can be solved by wearing it outside of all clothing which is annoying but solvable even though this shouldnt be an issue in the first place. It would be easy to modify the software to put a delay on pausing when the button is pressed (much like the time it takes to stop exercising where it times holding the button).

I have never been able to get the sunset app to work properly. This was a significant reason for the purchase. Whenever I start exercising the sunset app works for 3-5 minutes and then flips to just showing 2 bars (--). If I stop the exercise and restart then it works again but never for more than a few minutes. I have searched the web and have not found anyone else with this specific problem, but I have reloaded the app and done a number of things to try to correct this.

Today while hiking the watch suddenly went from showing about 6 miles hiked to 146 miles and the average speed suddenly jumped from about 3 mph to over 60 mph. Obviously the watch got a bad fix and the software did nothing to throw it out. The only way to get rid of the bad fix is to stop exercising and restart. I have been using various GPS's for years including tons of Garmin GPS's, Android GPS's and other brands. The only other time I had this happen was on a very old GPS when it started to fail.

Other more minor issues are things like the fact that Suunto tried to drop support for this watch only a year or so after they brought it to market (when they brought out the Ambit 2). Only because of significant complaints did they change their minds to continue support. This watch has a GPS chip in it and therefore it can use the GPS to get elevation. This GPS elevation data can be used to help decouple the altimeter and barometer sensor so that you can get better elevation data while also getting better weather data. I believe this feature is available on the Ambit 2 but not on the Ambit. This is simple software. I just dont think that Suunto is supporting this watch as well as they should. And based on what I have seen, this watch just has too many problems.

When you add up these issues I just cannot see how this watch can justify the price. I am disappointed with this purchase and hope this review helps others to avoid this disappointment.
on December 21, 2013
Tons of options to customize. Customer service was helpful when i had questions. Taken a couple of short hikes with it and nice to see alt gain \ loss and milage. Takes about 20-30 minutes after taking off for temp to read correct. Not sure how this affects barometer accuracy and storm alarm which was a big reason I bought. Will have to research more.
on December 21, 2013
I am in the military and got this watch a couple days before having to go into the field. It met everyone of my expectations. The gps is very user friendly and very accurate. I plugged in Zulu time as the secondary time zone and my comms were never off. I really enjoy this watch and would recommend it to anyone in the military.
on February 1, 2014
I first discovered Suunto watches many years ago while working in a mine in southern Chile, a geologist friend of mine told me he would go into the Atacama desert (Northern Chile) with a map and his Suunto Vector and no problem. So later in life I bought my own Suunto Vector...boy that sucker went to hell and back with me, once diving in the Caribbean (where I am from and live now) I went to deep (100ft) and I heard a pop as salt water went through the back lid and o-ring and "killed" my watch :-( So I started to look for a new watch and found the Suunto Ambit, yet it was my lovely wife who purchased it for me as a birthday gift. It's funny cause the software is similar to the one I had years before, maintaining the the same button logic, for me it was easy to learn how to use this watch. I have had it for almost two years now and I am really happy on how it performs. I have all my dive sites in it and when I go diving sometime 30 Kilometers out to sea that is all I take, that is all I need...my waterproof GPS. I use it with the Heart Rate belt when I go running on the beach and it calculates everything for you and if that isn't enough it draws it out for you too. It's rechargeable. The online account (Moveslink2) you get when you buy this watch and plug it into you computer is great...you can edit everything you want your watch to do and display there....my only complain here is that they modify this page to much making it hard to find your stuff again but I always do, and I guess they are "perfecting" the software based on user feedback.

The only thing I have not yet been able to make the watch tell me is when bad weather is coming...I believe it's an app I have to install...yet if anyone knows how, I am all ears.

If there are any doubts: I love and highly recommend this watch.

Cons:
I do have some moisture inside the sapphire display, yet I will not take a star off for that because my Suunto Ambit I go where no man has gone before :-)
on July 11, 2016
This is my fourth attempt at an altimeter trekking watch for mountain biking, and this one finally delivers. Then delivers some more. Then over-delivers. I can't say enough about it. Suunto finally got it right. I own a Vector, which I really like, but the Ambit is a quantum leap in ease of use. The Ambit just does intuitively what you want. For example, setting the Vector to track ascent and descent was a little like the sequence of programming the flight computer in the "Apollo 13" movie. Not so with the Ambit. With this watch you just select "Exercise" and it takes care of the ascent/decent, etc. Exactly what I need, with extras like heart rate and gps thrown in. Love it.
on July 2, 2014
I was disappointed by it. You can't change the main settings without a computer and the required Movelink does not work most of the time. It is not as functional for running as a Forerunner 620, or even a FR 610. On the positive side, it has a great satellite reception, even on trails covered by a thick canopy and the navigation features are useful when running on trails. I would recommend it if it wasn't for the comuter connectivity issues and the nonresponsiveness Suunto support.
on November 15, 2014
As a device this is one of the best in the market. The problem start with Movescount, the web application where you can actually see your runs, plans your training and analyzes your performance.
In the last years, these kinds of applications become a must for serious runners. Its enable to analyze the run, see the pace in different parts and enable to better plan future training.
Suunto Movescount is in general nice application, but it’s full of bugs and wrong data, and very strange kind of graphs that not give you anything.
The very basic ability to see your pace on different laps is not showing the correct data. Time is including pauses, pace is not related to the speed, and actually the data is wrong to the level that might direct you for wrong conclusions about your training plan.
When I was referring these issues to Suunto support, the response was that these are minor bugs. Assuming this ability is minor is a common case in some companies that define the severity based on the bug and not the customer need
It’s a shame that such a good device have so bad tracking software, where it’s obvious that today such reliable and good software is must for serious device users.
on November 26, 2013
I have been using the watch for about an year now, battery life is really good and data capture is accurate. Charging and exporting data is simple too.

Only issue is that the watch resets all the custom settings after the software upgrade. It takes 5 mins to make the changes again. Please fix this issue with the next software upgrade.
on July 19, 2013
I bought this as a birthday gift for my boyfriend. He was specific - large face, water "proof", low maintenance. Although the watch is capable of more than what he needs right now, it's perfect. Just don't forget to plug in with the USB connector for a night every 2 weeks. Seriously thinking of getting one for myself.