4.0 out of 5 stars about as good as GPS on your wrist can be

Published on June 13, 2012 by BIGMike1289

4.0 out of 5 stars about as good as GPS on your wrist can be, November 30, 2009
doctorit (Western MA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suunto X10 Military GPS Watch SS014006010 (Sports)
GPS: Obviously it can't do what a handheld unit can, but it holds it own for all the GPS functionality. The X10 can take a minute or two to lock on to a signal when you first activate the GPS, but once it has a lock, I've never lost signal on all hikes/bikes (outside, obviously concrete buildings are a dead zone). The on-screen activity data gives all the essentials: current/average speeds, min/max speed, time/distance traveled, and elevation traveled as well as min/max elevation. Adding the compass and "nav" feature means you can at least point yourself in the right direction to get back to where your activity started - very handy when exploring new trails. I have not used the routes feature, but I imagine it could be very useful for more critical uses like mountaineering.

GPS software: not the most elegant, but it does the trick. Easy to export a text file which can be converted to kml and used with google earth or a host of other online applications for viewing on a nice map. Two big issues here: 1) PC-only, no Mac. 2) no basemap in the software - as in, you just see a red line of your track, there is no map underneath it. You can import map images from google earth, or wherever, but you have to calibrate them. Not worth it, just export and use elsewhere.

ABC (altimeter/barometer/compass): excellent, Suunto really has this part down.

Temperature: yes, it reads temp, but unless you wear the watch on a string around your neck, the reading is going to be about 5 degrees less than your body temp. You can take the watch off, but the sensor is slow and you'll have to wait about 10 minutes to get an accurate reading of ambient temp.

Battery life: fantastic! After the first full-charge, I was able to use the watch for almost a month before I actually drained it. This included at least 5 trips longer than 1-hour recorded at the highest GPS setting (1 second intervals), and only plugged in via USB to download the trips for a few minutes at a time.

Screen visibility: another less than great rating here. The backlight is fine, but you need a fair bit of light to read the numbers easily, it's a low contrast screen. I'd recommend against the military version here, if I had to redo, I'd go for the standard.

Durability/wearability: Very tough. My X10 has taken a few good whacks on mountain bike rides, no problems but a small scuff. It's a big watch, yes, but actually quite light, so if you can deal with the visual size, it's not an issue. Strap is comfy with good adjustability (although probably won't get small enough for very small wrists, ladies).

Overall, 4 out of 5. A product with excellent core functionality that could be top-notch with some peripheral improvements.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage Suunto X10M, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Suunto X10 Military GPS Watch SS014006010 (Sports)
PLEASE DO NOT BUY!!!... I bought mine about four months before a deployment to afghanistan and it broke before the deployment the face plate comes up and rubber around the face place cracks, as well as the buttons peel off small amounts of water leaks in and the watch shuts off. I sent it in and they had it back to me within a month pretty cool. It worked for a little while and the face plate started to come up again so I sent it in again. I had my wife send it to me while deployed in a matter of a few months it was doing the same thing. Ive had three of these watches in the span of a year, IT IS GARBAGE!!! it should be indestructable for $500.00 plus dollars.

The features are pretty accurate if you are outside away from everything but you have to wait forever for it to load. The wrist top Garmin worked anywhere in Afghanistan and was fast to load even inside the MRAP where the Suunto did not

Seriously save yourself the money and buy a Garmin they work so much quicker and are a lot more durable, dependable and cheaper... the only thing this watch has going for it is it looks cool.

3.0 out of 5 stars Military model may be difficult to read., October 26, 2009
This review is from: Suunto X10 Military GPS Watch SS014006010 (Sports)
I bought the X10 military model. The display is very dark and nearly always difficult to read (if you get it just right in the light, it can be read clearly). I am not sure if this is by design (for stealth), or is a problem with this model, or if it is a problem is with this particular watch. We have changed the settings to optimize the display without reasonable improvement. It never looks like the picture shown. It is dark and uneven (parts of the screen are more difficult to read than others).

In any event, it is being exchanged for the "regular" model.

I own a Suunto X6HR and have loved the watch. Suunto makes great products. I am sure the "regular" X10 will be "the ticket."

Suunto X10 Military GPS Watch SS014006010