Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Sheet music|Change

on February 23, 2009
I like this new version of Suzuki violin book 1. It's more cluttered looking with the extra text which makes it a little harder to read the notes than the old version, but it does give the new student useful info. Of course, there is nothing like having a teacher help you refine the skills explained in the book.

I also like the ABCs of Violin books and DVDs. Many of my Suzuki colleagues and I think the ABCs of Violin and Viola books are excellent as reading supplements, but we begin adult students in the ABCs of Violin and Viola books which are more appropriate for that age group than the suzuki books.
on October 25, 2011
I'm working through volume 6 right now, and finding great music to learn. I've followed the Suzuki program since I started at age seven (I'm fourteen)and had GREAT results. After only seven years, I'm close to the "master" level!!

I HIGHLY recommend this program to anyone who wants to learn the violin. It starts with the easiest folk songs possible, and goes to master pieces, teaching you by giving you songs to learn that involve slightly new techniques, and it helps you to build your experience level up too. It's an easy, step-by-step program. I actually got half way through the first book without an instructor, and when I started lessons, my teacher said I had learned the songs well on my own.

Most of the kids in my orchestra (a very advanced symphony) use Suzuki.

Another note: Suzuki is a "play by ear" method, so if you don't want to learn to play by ear, and you just want to learn to read music, don't get this book!
It does not focus on sight reading, but rather teaches the student the basic idea of playing the violin, and expects you to follow along with the music until you get the idea of how to read music. So if you're going to buy this book, get the CD also, or you won't have very good luck learning with the Suzuki Program.
on October 29, 2008
This edition has a plastic spiral spine that lets the book be folded to show one page or lie flat without clips, clothes pins etc. That alone makes this a great edition. A CD that only comes in a paper envelope (instead of a case that takes up space and resources) is also a nice feature.

This is our first Suzuki book and we are enrolled in a Suzuki group. The idea is that the cd should be listened to as much as possible (even passively) so it is always either in the cd-player or next to it. We don't really ever put it away.

I don't have experience with the previous editions of the book, but this one is good I think.
on March 20, 2008
I bought this to help me learn to play the violin (I am in my 30's). I played the cello as a kid so I was already familiar with stringed instruments and note reading. This a progressive program that builds on itself. The book comes with a CD to help you hear how the songs should be played and that you can play along to.

I'd also recommend the "I Can Read Music" book for Violin.
on December 14, 2015
Well I think the name Suzuki speaks for itself. I am a private violin teacher and I love teaching from this book. I love that the method just builds on each song and you learn line upon line and precept upon precept. I do think that the Suzuki method does teach kids to memorize though rather learn to read notes, so I incorporate my own method in with it. The songs are great and fun to play and start off pretty easy for beginners. From there you learn songs on the A and E string, about half way through you learn the notes D and G and then start learning songs on the D and G string. I always tell my kids oh this is my favorite song, this is my favorite song. I can't ever decide which is my favorite in the book because they are all so much fun and each song you learn something new.

I love that there is a CD to play along with I would highly suggest getting that version if are buying this book, It is definitely worth the extra money spent. I think it helps you to be able to hear the notes and make sure you playing the notes and rhythms correctly. Definitely a good thing to have for any beginner.
on July 19, 2014
I recently decided to teach myself the violin and went ahead with the Suzuki method. The simple review is, yes, this book develops beginner techniques well and you can be playing pieces within two-weeks. I was excited to not only be able to play the familiar piece, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in the beginning, but a multitude of simple variations that make you feel proud about what you've learned and how you've progressed.

But like any skill being developed, the user needs to uphold and facilitate correct practice procedure and be patient with the development. I've been using solely this book for about a little over a month now and am approaching the more difficult final pieces. It's very easy to get ahead of yourself and think just because you can play through a piece, that you've learned it (a mistake I found myself making).

After adjusting my mentality about when a piece is truly learned and how to practice it well (slow slow slow!), I can honestly and confidently say I'm very happy with this book and plan to finish it and continue the series.

The only con I have is wishing it went into more detail about certain bowing/fingering techniques and what it expects us to get out of an exercise. The less detailed approach this book carries makes me think it's designed more for students with a teacher present to expand upon the quick concepts, so be prepared to ask a violinist or YouTube for more details on specific techniques.
on November 18, 2008
My daughter has been playing the violin in school for 3 1/2 years now. I was just recently able to get her into private lessons. Although the music is easy for her knowledge and level of playing, her private tutor wanted to strengthen her basic skills and techniques. The Suzukio book 1 contains all those basic techniques her tutor is trying to strenghten. She is thouroughly enjoying the book, and she is actually learning quite a bit from book 1. She is looking forward to moving on to the higher level books from Susukio. I recommend this book for beginner violin players, or for a child who may have some experience playing but needs to improve their basic techniques.
on February 5, 2013
We use this book in conjunction with our violin instructor. Without you would have to be an adult or determined and intelligent young individual to read it and teach yourself. As an aid it works perfectly.
on March 13, 2016
As a violin teacher I strongly recommend starting with Suzuki. Came in the mail fast and it is less expensive then some music stores. For a beginning violinist this is the book for you. I also strongly recommend the essential elements book one (the orange book) to go with it. The two books together work wonderfully for new students.
review image
on July 28, 2012
Haven't even been 40 pages into this thing and am already frustrated that this ebook was not set up for localization. I don't know if this is a feature of the Kindle ebook format, but it should be. There are so many pages of non-English I must skim through to get to the next meaningful topic its absurd. Secondly, I can't see the images clearly for the pieces of the violin even when zooming in.