5.0 out of 5 stars very good
I like this new version of Suzuki violin book 1. It's more cluttered looking with the extra text which makes it a little harder to read the notes than the old version, but it does give the new student useful info. Of course, there is nothing like having a teacher help you refine the skills explained in the book.

I also like the ABCs of Violin books and DVDs...
Published on February 23, 2009 by violinmike

3.0 out of 5 stars Teaching violin
Published 23 months ago by Sheryl Nielsen

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, February 23, 2009
This review is from: Suzuki Violin School Volume 1 - Revised Edition (Book & CD) (Suzuki Violin School, Violin Part) (Sheet music)

I also like the ABCs of Violin books and DVDs. Many of my Suzuki colleagues and I think the ABCs of Violin and Viola books are excellent as reading supplements, but we begin adult students in the ABCs of Violin and Viola books which are more appropriate for that age group than the suzuki books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiral edition and cd without case - just what I need, October 29, 2008
This edition has a plastic spiral spine that lets the book be folded to show one page or lie flat without clips, clothes pins etc. That alone makes this a great edition. A CD that only comes in a paper envelope (instead of a case that takes up space and resources) is also a nice feature.

This is our first Suzuki book and we are enrolled in a Suzuki group. The idea is that the cd should be listened to as much as possible (even passively) so it is always either in the cd-player or next to it. We don't really ever put it away.

I don't have experience with the previous editions of the book, but this one is good I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Revised edition worth it, but recycle the CD, October 13, 2008
Janet L. (Birmingham, AL USA) - See all my reviews
Five stars for the revised edition book, two stars for the (too fast, too cheesy, and is that a synthesizer?) CD... I'll give the set four stars (rounding up). The revised edition appears to have the same pieces as the original, but in a larger print size that is a relief. In my opinion, it's worth getting the new book, but you should recycle the CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a beginner, March 20, 2008
I bought this to help me learn to play the violin (I am in my 30's). I played the cello as a kid so I was already familiar with stringed instruments and note reading. This a progressive program that builds on itself. The book comes with a CD to help you hear how the songs should be played and that you can play along to.

I'd also recommend the "I Can Read Music" book for Violin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Violin Lessons, November 18, 2008
My daughter has been playing the violin in school for 3 1/2 years now. I was just recently able to get her into private lessons. Although the music is easy for her knowledge and level of playing, her private tutor wanted to strengthen her basic skills and techniques. The Suzukio book 1 contains all those basic techniques her tutor is trying to strenghten. She is thouroughly enjoying the book, and she is actually learning quite a bit from book 1. She is looking forward to moving on to the higher level books from Susukio. I recommend this book for beginner violin players, or for a child who may have some experience playing but needs to improve their basic techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!, October 25, 2011
I'm working through volume 6 right now, and finding great music to learn. I've followed the Suzuki program since I started at age seven (I'm fourteen)and had GREAT results. After only seven years, I'm close to the "master" level!!

I HIGHLY recommend this program to anyone who wants to learn the violin. It starts with the easiest folk songs possible, and goes to master pieces, teaching you by giving you songs to learn that involve slightly new techniques, and it helps you to build your experience level up too. It's an easy, step-by-step program. I actually got half way through the first book without an instructor, and when I started lessons, my teacher said I had learned the songs well on my own.

Most of the kids in my orchestra (a very advanced symphony) use Suzuki.

Another note: Suzuki is a "play by ear" method, so if you don't want to learn to play by ear, and you just want to learn to read music, don't get this book!
It does not focus on sight reading, but rather teaches the student the basic idea of playing the violin, and expects you to follow along with the music until you get the idea of how to read music. So if you're going to buy this book, get the CD also, or you won't have very good luck learning with the Suzuki Program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Start, March 11, 2010
JXdelaCruz "J" (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I've been playing the piano for a number of years now and decided I wanted to try my hand at the violin. It came more naturally to me than I think most because I played piano beforehand, but the Suzuki vol. 1 book is a great start. It starts you off with simple songs that progress to the other strings of the violin in a very natural way. The only thing I have to say otherwise is that if you have no musical background then you should have someone with musical experience at least guide you on how to use the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Teaching violin, January 10, 2013
this has some great information in it. But the first 18 pages or so only 1-2 pages are english. So this very small book of 48 pages has 16 pages or so in a different language. Every page has 4-5 languages listed for the correct word, etc to use. Not exactly what I was thinking. Using this book to teach violin and I am already half way through with only the first lesson. The rest of the book has some songs, scales, etc in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good supplement, not for absolute beginner, November 9, 2010
I purchased this book and Rhoda's ABC for the absolute beginner book and am glad I got both. The ABC book is truly for a beginner and I will use it first to teach my kids, then move on to this Suzuki book. In my opinion a true beginner who has never before touched the violin, will be quite frustrated by this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied Customer, March 27, 2008
My daughter has been thrilled with the Suzuki violin book and cd. Her playing skills and confidence have improved tremendously.
Michelle