After comparing the quality of the straps on both the GoPro and Swann chest straps, I decided to give the Swann chest strap a try, even though I planned to use it on a GoPro 1st Gen. The straps on the GoPro chest strap are elastic, by experience, elastic doesn't hold well on the long run when exposed repeatedly to body heat, sweat, and UV Rays.

The quality of...
Published 13 months ago by Carlos Monzon-Guzman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good harness, but not quite what I hoped for
Published 12 months ago by Nancy E Greenwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Very High Quality Chest Strap - 1/4" Screw Would Not Hold a GoPro As Is, June 8, 2013
This review is from: Swann SWVID-FREE03-GL Freestyle Chest Harness Mount (Black) (Electronics)

The quality of the straps, and buckles on the Swann chest strap doesn't disappoint, as these are similar to the straps and buckles found on very high quality backpacks.

The Swann chest strap I received was perfect for a person with a long torso, even after fully adjusting the straps. There is no indication on the package if the chest strap is for normal, or long torsos.

The 1/4" screw is just to short to be used on a GoPro's tripod adapter; my GoPro 1st Gen doesn't feel securely fastened. As is, the Swann's 1/4" screw doesn't hold the 1/4"-20 threads on the GoPro's tripod adapter securely enough.

I tried to remove the 1/4" screw from the Swann chest strap to see if I could change it for a longer screw, but, I could not. So, I will try to get an adapter with a wide enough base, and longer 1/4" screw, so that I can fit my GoPro's tripod adapter to it. I will update my review to inform on my findings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice harness, but..., October 2, 2013
It is a good sturdy harness that I recommend with one caveat, the 1/4-20 screw that mounts your camera to the harness is very short. I ordered a replacement captive screw for it from eBay and now it works great for me. It appears that the manufacturer intends this harness for a specific camera and it may work well for that camera as is, but for everybody else you'll want a longer screw.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good harness, but not quite what I hoped for, June 18, 2013
I purchased this harness since it had an attachment like a tripod. I hoped to be able to mount my camera to it, but there isn't space for it. The space between the harness and the mount is too narrow. In order to mount the camera, it would have to be pointing toward the ground. I was able to acquire some additional pieces to extend the mount so the camera can be mounted pointing forward. It would be fine if you had a very slim camera or a sports camera with a gopro like mounting system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got a Swann? Get this!, May 29, 2013
I recently started getting back into mountain biking and picked up a Swann Freestyle with the helmet mounts. I went on a few rides and while I was very impressed with the quality of the video from the Freestyle the helmet mount didn't provide much as far as speed, pitch of the trail or anything else. The chest mount provides a great view that is more POV than a helmet mount. With the chest mount you'll see up the trail, your hands working the shifters and brakes as well as the lines you choose. So what do you get for $40?

In the bag - In the package you get the chest mount itself and one attachment with orange vibration damper. The black rubber dampers that came with the camera seem to be softer than the orange one packaged with the chest mount, the orange mount is much stiffer and this is a good thing. The buckles are very high quality and I have no doubt they will be able to stand up to lots of abuse. The straps are a non-stretch nylon webbing which is different than the GoPro brand mount. I personally prefer the material on the Swann because once you get everything adjusted it's very solid. This is what you are looking for if you want good quality video while on the move, a nice stable platform.

Tips - I added one small extension to get the camera a little farther from my chest and angled up slightly so that when I am on the handlebars you can see farther up the trail. If the camera is basically straight up and down you are going to end up with video of your handlebars and not much else. Do yourself a favor and ride around your neighborhood, preview the videos and make any adjustments to get it right before you hit the trail.

All in all, this is a great product. Highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good, December 22, 2013
As others have said the attaching screw is too short. If I want to use this I will have to go to the hardware store and buy a longer screw and modify it.

Not happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Camera screw is not long enough, December 17, 2013
No instructions. No directions. No pictures. I finally figured out how to attach the mount and put the harness on. The camera screw is not long enough to attach to my camera. It doesn't work. It has to go back.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++, September 5, 2013
Great camera, still shot and video. 1080 is great, easy menu, easy transfer of material to media storage. Beats Go-Pro!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with my Canon Elph 320 HS, August 15, 2013
Most of the chest harnesses are made for the GoPro and other specific camera brands, but this harness works with my Canon Elph 320 HS. I'm using it to film videos while I ride my motorcycle. My one complaint is that it faces directly forward, so when I'm leaning forward riding, the camera points down toward the fuel tank. I'm going to fix this though, by adding the Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount so that I can point the camera in any direction that I want. This is a well-made chest harness and I highly recommend for any small camera that has a threaded hole for tripod mount.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good summer harness but too small, August 10, 2013
This harness is a good quality product and works well for me in the summer. However, I am a big guy, 6' 200 and this harness does not adjust out enough to be worn over a thick winter coat for me. I was really hoping to use this for snowshoeing and skiing in the winter and it appears that it won't work for that now. It is great over light clothing however, comfortable and gives good stability to the camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 14, 2013
I am very disappointed with this product. During the second use of Swann SWVID-FREE03-GL, while white water rafting the camera fell off the screw mount and dropped into the water and was unable to be recovered. The loss of a $300 camera that was less then a month old has caused me to rethink whether or not I would purchase from this company again.

Rate and Discover Movies