on October 1, 2013
Seriously.

I'm 55 and I'm losing my hair. My forehead is up to about a four-and-a-half-head.

It's the normal "getting-old" hair loss I guess, but it still freaks me out a little.

Anyway I have been searching on Google every day for products to at least slow it down. Meanwhile, my daughter, who is in cosmetology school, is telling me all of these cancer related horror stories about chemicals in beauty products and hair products, and how the beauty product industry is only "self-regulated." I think we know what that means...

What I got from all of this research is that vitamin A and D are important for healthy hair.

And it turns out that Almond Oil has BOTH of these. Plus it's natural. Plus it's not greasy. Plus it supposedly doesn't smell.

So I decided to give this Kusala stuff a try.

Since my hair tends to get greasy on its own fairly quickly, I decided to apply it to my scalp only, or at least try. So I put a few drops on my fingertips, then I rub it into my scalp. I'm avoiding my hair for now because I'm afraid it will look oily. Chicks don't dig guys with oily hair.

Sure enough, no smell. And I don't feel or look any different, but think it might work. Maybe because I'm actually doing something about it. I will apply this almond oil after each time I wash my hair.

I will also come back in about a month and update this review. I'll let you know about my hair loss rate. If I'm losing more hair, Kusala Life will get a ONE-star review from me.

For now, though, it gets FIVE for giving me hope and making me feel so good for finding something that is natural.

Update 11/7/2013:

I've been using it every day, occasionally every other day for a month now.

It took a little time to get my technique down because I only wanted to apply it to my scalp and not my hair.

Anyway, it SEEMS like I'm losing less hair.

I'll explain:

When I wash my hair, which is 2 to 2 1/2 inches long, I put this little plastic strainer thingie in the drain to catch all of the hair so I don't clog my drain. It's real easy to tell how much hair is falling out because this thing catches everything. So it SEEMS like there is less than usual. A lot less. But it's kinda hard to tell because I wash it so often and the trend so gradual that I can't really HONESTLY say that my balding trend is slowing down. It sure seems that way though.

So here's what I'm doing. I just saved a hair-washings worth of hair. I'm going to do it again in 30 days and then update this review. I'll include pictures or a video if I can figure out how to do that.

My hair DEFINITELY looks better though. I've had two waitresses comment about it. WHO DOES THAT? In fact, my wife gave me "the look" after the last waitress incident. LOL!

Update 2/3/2014

For the last two weeks there has been absolutely no hair loss.

My wife laughs and says that it's because hair doesn't fall out during the winter.

I'm not buying it.

Also, I'd like to add to this review that from time to time, I overdo the almond oil and my hair does look a little oily. But there is a sweet spot amount that, after putting it on, will leave my hair not-oily looking, but a little bit shiny. Can you picture that?

If I use still less, my hair doesn't even look shiny.

Finally, a couple of times I tried putting a lot on my scalp AND hair before bed to let it "soak" in overnight. But I must have used too much because my wife complained about the pillowcase being oily. I stopped that practice for domestic tranquility reasons.

Update 8/30/2014

I just read a comment from "bayridgeguy" below asking if this stuff is still working. The first thing I thought was, "people actually read these things?" But the answer is, "I think so."

Honestly, there are too many variables at work right now to tell for sure.

For example I started a raw food diet (the veggie version, not the meat version). I've read that it helps with hair health. So, it would be hard to say that my hair actually "un-thinning" itself was due to the almond oil.

The fact is that by March it FELT like it was getting thicker. By April, the woman who cuts my hair commented on my thin spot filling in. But here's the thing, at the end of March I started the Raw thing, and perhaps that could be what she noticed.

Another thing I did was go back to the overnight soak method, but only once a week. The reason I did that was because my stepdaughter (not the hairdresser, that's my daughter), who is a model-actress wannabe (waitress) went to a high end hair place and spent about $200 on hair products. She justified this because she's a "professional" model, and it's what they do. Anyway, one of the products is an oil treatment that she puts on before bed once a week.

I guess I figured that since people who use their hair professionally do it, I would do it too. But instead of the chemical laden treatment, I stayed with this almond oil.

My wife? She humors me and makes me wear a shower cap thing, which isn't very sexy, doesn't stay on overnight, and has made me the official "linen laundry" person of the house.

So, I believe this stuff does work, and I won't stop using it.

On a side note, and you won't believe me, my grey hair is almost gone now. It has little to do with the almond oil and more to do with raw foods, I'm sure. That's what I've read anyway. But there you have it.

I look younger now (in my mind). And my wife finds this whole thing hilarious. So as an added benefit, I make my wife laugh.
on March 26, 2014
Just received my second bottle and really like this product. 5-star rating with no oily residue and really helps my old sun dried skin.
on September 20, 2014
Lovely light oil; very little fragrance. I apply after a shower when my skin is still slightly damp; seems to take a while for it to soak in -- that is: it is not immediate. I have noticed that my dry calves (they had that cracked skin mosaic look) are noticeable better looking. Not bad for 66+ yrs.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Was really glad to find a wonderful moisturizer that does not contain coconut, as I have a severe allergy to this. What was a wonderful surprise is this product is like a spa in a bottle. I have used the oil as a hot oil treatment for my hair and scalp, a wonderful warm water foot soak, and to use as a bath soak for my skin. My only problem with this is now I don't know which way I thought the product was the best, as I loved them all. Oh well, guess I will have to just keep experimenting. This product is wonderful, have been recommending to all my friends.
on June 23, 2013
I have used the sweet almond oil for my hair and face. I used it at night on my hair as recommended and was very pleased with the result. I also use it as a makeup remover and moisturizer and love the smooth powdery feeling it leaves. It has replaced several skin and hair products that have chemicals with names I cannot pronounce.
on January 22, 2015
I waited several months of using this to post a review. First of all, I'm 44 years old and had extremely oily skin in my teens/20's/30's. Maybe now I'm grateful for it because I'm told I look 15+ years younger than I am but growing up it was brutal because my face was always shiny. I didn't do the right things to combat it: I used astringents and other things that dry the skin and that likely made my skin produce more oil. When I would get facials done, estheticians were always amazed how much oil I had. Anyway, I had been using another brand of oil in the shower to run over the areas I shaved to keep my skin soft. It was very expensive (from aromatherapy experts). I looked at the ingredients: almond oil, lavender and rosemary. So I made my own with this almond oil, adding about 30 drops of lavender and 15 drops of rosemary and put it in my container that has a pump on it. Now I use this stuff all over my body as I'm finishing my shower and because some said it can be used to wash your face, I gave that a whirl. It absorbs quickly and doesn't really wash off but it does dry and leaves your skin so soft. I find my makeup if I use any goes on much smoother. I even put a few drops of this oil on my finger and use it to smooth and shape my eyebrows. You can find so many uses for this oil but I like my concoction and I will keep using it. I do wash my face first with my proactive face wash which helps exfoliate, then use this as sort of a first step moisturizer. I do not find it has made my skin more oily at all, in fact on the contrary. And I have found that if I put makeup on in the morning I still feel clean and fresh by dinner with no need to touch anything up. So a great product that I plan to use for a very long time.
on December 16, 2013
Doesn't have any bad odor and doesn't leave a greasy feel. Great for the winter dry spots on your skin.
on March 1, 2015
We received our order of Kusala life the day amazon promised. our whole family enjoys using kusala oil. We like the fact that it's all natural. I applied it on my psoriasis and I have noticed a difference. My 14 year old son uses it for his acne and my wife uses it to make her face soft and radiant. with the way the top is designed, the oil is not wasted and should last a while. when we do run out we will definitely be ordering more and we also like the fact that it is not greasy and it is odorless.
on November 19, 2014
I like this brand of sweet almond oil for my hair. I also tried it on my eyelashes and eyebrows, just be careful and use the appropriate applicators. It is very mild and nourishing. I had no skin reactions. I will buy it again.
on May 27, 2013
When I started using Almond Oi, I thought it would be helpful for my skin, living in a dry climate. What I discovered is not only is this oil a great moisturizer, but it also does something to the skin that makes it feel smooth and silky. After a few days of use, my dry patches are gone and my skin isn't always feeling itchy. Kusala Life has hit a home run in finding something useful for everyone. I reccomend this Almond oil to anyone looking for a great moisturizer !