5.0 out of 5 stars Divinely Delectable
Published on October 19, 2011 by Star Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Confections: Beautiful Candy to Make at Home
THIS WAS AN OK BOOK --- SOME OF THE RECIPIES TURNED OUT OK ANS SOME DIDN'T -- I WOULD NOT BUY IT AGAIN KATE
Published 14 months ago by KateM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Divinely Delectable, October 19, 2011
Star Child (Somewhere Over the Rainbow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Confections: Beautiful Candy to Make at Home (Paperback)
I won this book in a contest and was very excited to see it waiting for me today. I immediately opened my package and devoured (pun intended?) it. I took a confectionery class in college and reading her tips and instructions brought so many things back. It is easy to understand and instructions are clear and precise. The recipes are amazing. Some things I have done before like marshmallows and caramel. Plus the Fudge recipes are the traditional Old Fashioned Fudge which is harder to find. Most people opt for the easier recipes that use white chocolate chips or marshmallows. While Old Fashioned Fudge is more temperamental, when it is done right it achieves a smoothness and flavor profile that is above its more common cousin. Consequently seeing those recipes added, in my opinion, to the validity and taste of the author, Nina Wanat. I honestly think anyone, with a little patience, could pick this book up and be successful. One of the nice things about this book is it is organized with easier recipe categories first. It starts with your hard crack lollipops and progresses into the more difficult fudge or truffle. The illustrations are both beautiful and informative. It really is a must have for the novice and seasoned candy maker.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to my shelf!, October 17, 2011
I was sad to hear that Bonbonbar, Nina Wanat's candy business, was closing its doors, because she made the best caramels I have ever tasted. But, if I can't order the caramels anymore, I at least could get her caramel recipe here in Sweet Confections!

Candies (and chocolate) have their own requirements and rules, and I'd been meaning to get a specialized cookbook for a while. Not only does this book have a good range of recipes, but there is a great section at the front about candymaking in general, with well-illustrated instructions for caramelizing sugar and tempering chocolate.

Having enjoyed Nina's confections before, I had confidence for the caramel and chocolate recipes, but there is quite a lot territory in the book that Bonbonbar did not cover. I was intrigued by the recipe for applesauce jellies, and decided to whip up a batch. I expected something with basic apple flavor, probably similar to Applets&Cotlets, that my young niece and nephews would enjoy... but what I got was tender jellies with lovely caramel-apple aroma. Highly addictive. I can't wait to try some of the other recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous candy!, September 21, 2011
Sweet Confections: Beautiful Candy to Make at Home gives us the opportunity to make our favorite candies (plus new concoctions) right at home! Candy making can be a little trickier than making cookies, but many of the recipes have just a few ingredients and are fairly simple, as long as you own a candy thermometer! Sweet Confections is filled not only with real candy recipes, but tons of eye candy as well!

The author refers to candy as being "the most gem-like of foods" with its jewel-toned colors and the absolutely gorgeous photography by the very talented couple from the White on Rice Couple blog does so well at featuring each glorious piece. In case you are new to creating your own candies, there are step-by-step photos that teach how to temper chocolate, dipping and rolling candies, and how to correctly cook sugar.

There are sections for Crunchy, Chewy or Silky candy. New takes on classics, like the Pumpkin Caramels (so perfect for Fall), the Sour Cream Candied Nuts, or Strawberry Lemonade Marshmallows are excellent additions. Crystallized pansies and rose petals, white and lavender meringues (which would be fun to color to match with different holidays) or the vibrantly colored Jelly Candies are stunning to look at. And, if you are a chocolate lover, then you may enjoy the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge or the Rocky Road Chocolate Bark. Whatever your personal favorites are, Sweet Confections is a beautiful book with excellent recipes for all types of the best candy making.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous book for candies and confections, May 9, 2012
Making candies has always intimidated me a bit. I love to bake and cook, but for some reason candy has seemed scary. Not after reading this book! I love it!

The detailed instructions and pictures make candy-making less scary, and actually EASY! So far, I've tried toffee and fudge, both were a breeze. I cannot wait to try more.

Photography is beautiful as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great step-by-step instructions!, December 12, 2011
Traci D. Haley (Prineville, OR USA) - See all my reviews
I've always wanted to be able to make homemade candy as well as my mom does, but every attempt has ended in failure in the past. I've lost count of the times I've had to scrape hardened, burnt, or crystallized fudge or other confection from my pan, vowing never to try making it again.

Then I found this book and, thanks to a Kindle special offer and a gift card balance, decided to buy it since it was only going to end up costing me a couple of dollars.

After receiving the book, I immediately fell in love with the delicious photos of all the recipes. Which one to try first? I also loved the step-by-step instructions on basic candy making, including the chart for how to recognize the different stages of candy. So I pulled out my candy thermometer and thought, "What the heck, I'll try making candy one more time...."

I'm happy to report that, thus far, I've made:

- Maple Peanut Pralines
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge
- Honeycomb Candy

All were amazingly successful and downright FUN to make! The pralines didn't turn out *quite* like the author's, but I think that may have been an error on my part in what temperature to bring the sugar. They still were quite delicious, just a little less crystallized and a little more sticky than the picture.

The other two recipes turned out picture perfect and absolutely delectable... I immediately had to make another batch of each so that I could give Christmas gifts to all my friends!

My one complaint is that the recipes are pretty small yielding. I made double batches of everything and then, in the case of the fudge and honeycomb candy, made two double batches. Just using the single recipe wouldn't have given me nearly enough for the Christmas platters I was making. That's just a small nitpick, though, and easily remedied, so I'd still say this book deserves the five star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Recipes!, October 3, 2011
Sweet confections. Doesn't that title just make you want to dive right in and see what lurks in the pages? As soon as it arrived in the mail, I was exploring the sweetness and bookmarking several pages. My all-time favorite chocolate is dark chocolate with sea salt and almonds. If you haven't tried it, you're missing out. When I spotted the Mixed Nut Dark Chocolate Truffle recipe, I knew I had to make them. With a fancy sounding word like "truffle" in the title, I thought the recipe would be extensive and hard. So not the case!

These truffles were seriously the perfect blend of dark chocolate, sea salt, and nuts. I served them at a birthday party, and I'm pretty sure they were a hit! With recipes for fudge, caramel pinwheels, taffy, salted chocolate caramel lollipops, toffee, and more, I can see how this is going to be the perfect resource for parties and food gifting.

I definitely recommend this book. It is full of amazing recipes!

Disclosure : I received a copy of Sweet Confections from Lark Crafts in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice beginner book!, December 30, 2012
I make caramels and fudge regularly, but not much else. This book is easy to follow, with enough basic and intermediate recipes to build skills without overwhelming a newbie like me. It isn't a comprehensive guide, but is perfect for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the line candy book, January 6, 2015
Top of the line candy book. I have over 2,500 cook books, yes you read that right-not really proud of it just using it as a point of reference. This is my second copy, daughter "borrowed" my first copy and needed it back so i bought another.

The recipes and techniques described are great. Includes recipes for quite a few types of candy that you would want to make. Even a recipe for "dots" you know those candies that you used to get that was on a long strip of paper and you ended up eating as much paper as candy? Well there is a paper free version. AND a recipe for those mints that used to sit in a bowl up by the register of a restaurant that melt in your mouth. ( totally unsanitary by the way but what the heck we were kids) Pictures for most if not all items are nice too. The toffee, peanut brittle and caramel corn recipes alone are worth the price of the book. Especially the caramel corn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and fun!, August 13, 2012
I have been looking for a decent candy-at-home book for years. This book delves slightly deeper into the reason why a recipe describes the methods it does (i.e. when to stir and when not to stir cooking sugar). I found this very interesting and informative to help the reader understand the recipe better. The author also gives a new way of preparing caramel candies which I found interesting (the dry sugar method instead of the wet). The variety of recipes is refreshing and I enjoy the complexity of some and the simplicity of others. A great book for new ideas if you're tired of the same old basics. The reason for one-less star is I am still on the hunt for the science of how to edit or create new recipes (i.e. why is the corn syrup necessary? Is it substitutable? What happens if you added fruit puree to your recipe? Does it need to be cooked to a higher temperature?) I will still be on the hunt for a book with those answers, however, in the meantime, this book is a great read and I definitely recommend it to the beginner.

4.0 out of 5 stars cAnDy, March 3, 2012
I give this four stars only because the lack of confectionery recipes wish this book was much bigger.
Content is amazing for getting beginner/intermediate person interested in candy making with some basics and inspiration

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sweet Confections: Beautiful Candy to Make at Home
Sweet Confections: Beautiful Candy to Make at Home by Nina Wanat (Paperback - September 6, 2011)
$17.95 $12.74