5.0 out of 5 stars super fun easy read
Published on February 10, 2010 by latzofpink

2.0 out of 5 stars Sour Pathwork of a Novel
Published on February 4, 2010 by Robert Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Sour Pathwork of a Novel, February 4, 2010
The first "L.A. Candy" novel was a surprisingly sweet (no pun intended...well, maybe a little) first novel by reality star-cum-N.Y. Times Bestselling Author Lauren Conrad. Expectations were very low, so when the book hit stands with an engaging mix of wit, humor and surprisingly tight writing, the book became a bonafide hit among teen girls. Alas, the second book in Conrad's purported trilogy of young adult novels strips the characters Conrad created/adapted/mimicked-from-reality of anything appealing and replaces it with idiot-plot contrivances and once-smart characters acting about as smart as their extensions.

First, a note of apology if you've come to this review having never heard of "The Hills" as I will talk openly of the parallels between the book and the "reality" that spawned it. Chances are if you are on this page, you know, but if by some chance you don't, please look it up on Wikipedia and then return later.

"Sweet Little Lies" picks up less than a week after the first book's cliffhanger, with reality superstar Jane Roberts (a thinly-vieled interpretation of Conrad) on a self-imposed exile with Madison (Heidi). Madison had released photographs of Jane cheating on her boyfriend Jesse (Jason) to Gossip Magazine then whisked Jane away before her best friend Scarlet (another side of Conrad's personality) could warn her. Jane had cheated on Jesse in part because of Jesse's erratic behavior and oft-drunkedness and because she was secretly in love with his best friend Braden.

As the book commenced, I was excited to see how Conrad would pay off the explosive turn of events and how it would change the dynamic between the three main female characters in the trilogy. But then, in an inexplicably mind-numbing move, Conrad fails to pay-off any of these developments for at least 240 of the book's 300-and-change pages. Instead she turns Jane, who had been up until this point a smart and sympathetic heroine, into the kind of gullible dumb girl viewers think the girls from "The Hills" really are.

Despite having her best-friend-since-childhood and ex-boyfriend-with-nothing-to-lose tell her in no uncertain terms that Madison was the one who leaked the photos, Jane decides not to believe them and, in another childish move, isolates herself from Scarlet for most of the book while growing closer to Madison, believing every one of her lies and not getting suspicious that every secret she shares with her frienemy just happens to show up in the next week's issue of "Gossip."

In addition to this, Jane re-ignites her romance with Jesse. In the first book it was not-too-subtly hinted that Jesse had drinking problems and a possible drug addiction. Oh well, Jane thinks, and immediately falls back in love with him, even as he becomes an abusive boyfriend. Their relationship sours quickly, but Jane refuses to call it quits even after Jesse takes her on a drunken joyride through Los Angeles, cheats on her repeatedly, continues to drink and do drugs around her and finally becomes emotionally and physically abusive to her.

Look, I'm a big supporter of heroes and heroines of books make mistakes and have three dimensions, but Jane's actions in "Sweet Little Lies" cross the line. This is NOT the kind of book that parents should be recommending that their teenage daughters read, and Jane is no longer a role model. Abusive relationships are a very real thing, and the fact that Conrad lets her main character not only stay in the relationship for such a long period of time but enable him time and again to continue his out-of-control actions is setting the worst possible model for teen girls. The relationship isn't even viewed realistically--it's so obvious from their reconciliation that it is a plot contrivance that will be take hundreds of pages to clear up--which makes the circumstances even sadder. Add in that she alienates her longtime best friend for a woman obviously manipulating every facet of her life and you have made Jane Roberts almost irredeemably unlikable. Since she is supposed to be the anchor of the series, this is a big problem.

There are moments and glimmers where the fun and wit of the first book return, albeit briefly. I'm thinking of a conversation between Jane and her office-mate Hannah (Whitney) in the bathroom while the producers are almost breaking down the door to stop it or when Gaby (Audrina), the dim-bulb of the show, shows surprising insight and depth, but these are fleeting. Conrad also makes attempts to humanize Madison instead of portraying her as a one-dimension villain, which is interesting in theory, but this does not pay off.

Everything about "Sweet Little Lies" screams that the book is merely a placeholder between the fun of the first book and the real pay-offs of the third. Conrad spins her wheels for most of the book's pages and, though the finale sets up an fascinating dynamic between the characters for the final chapter in the trilogy (though I can't imagine HarperCollins will allow such a lucrative franchise to die out so soon), that cannot excuse the fact that, well, nothing of note happens until the last forty pages of this book. In fact, you could slap the last few chapters of this book onto the end of "L.A. Candy" and not miss the first thirty-some chapters at all. Am I interested enough to pick up the third book, especially since it promises to explore the explosive Team Lauren v. Team Heidi seasons of "The Hills"? Probably. But that doesn't excuse that this is a significant let-down with a horrible message for teen girls and excruciating pacing.

5.0 out of 5 stars super fun easy read, February 10, 2010
I read the 1st book, and purchased this one yesterday, due to being snowed in in NYC I was given a full day of relaxing at home. This book is a fun, light hearted read that makes the time fly by. I am in my mid-twenties, and enjoyed this book. The writing isn't complex, but you have to take the book for what it is. If you enjoy fiction, somewhat chick-lit, you will enjoy this book. It keeps you going, and I read the entire book in about 3 hours. Cute interesting story, touching on some subjects that most girls deal with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Round Two Even Better, February 11, 2010
I really liked reading this book. It was hard for me to put down this book. Lauren is a great writer for her age, I can't wait until the next book comes out. There is drama, loses of friends and boyfriends, and new love. I could understand the characters in this book more than I could the first. You will remember this book like you remember your favorite episodes of The Hills. I just found out in the March issue of Seventeen with Lauren Conrad on the cover, that L.A. Candy is going to be made into a movie, isn't that great. Overall this is one of the best books I have read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars You know, why not?, May 17, 2010
I thought it was a good sequel to the first. Obviously people are you expecting Shakespeare? No. This is fun read loosely based on the aftermath of "L.A. Candy" and if you are expecting a fun, easy, beach read then you won't be disappointed. If you have a sweet tooth for chick flicks then this is a good one! I'm pumped LC wrote a story on it all. Ficton or Nonfiction -Good for her!

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know why the bad reviews!, May 5, 2012
The book starts a little slow... The novel touches a number of themes such as alcoholism,being with someone who abuses you, betrayal, and hipocrisy being the main theme of the novel. I loved it, it was well written, which actually came as a surprise, really. I couldn't stop reading it, I finished it in two days, and I thought that the themes that covered the novel were smart. I lot of these things actually happen in everyone's life...

Brief Summary

Jane goes to vacation with Madison and she spends some days with her, when she returns to L.A. and to her apartment, the drama starts again...*** SPOILERS******Jane decides she makes a wrong move, and that she's guilty,asks for his forgiveness, and returns with him. Madison keeps using Jane, while she feels guilty for using her. She decides it's best to use her, because she wants to be famous instead of making friends. We also see a side of Gaby that we haven't seen before, and Scarlett gets romantic with a guy. **** END OF SPOILERS****

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!, January 10, 2012
I just started reading Lauren Conrad's series, beginning with LA Candy!!! The series has been so entertaining and I can't seem to put my Kindle down!!! I have read all 3 in the last week!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Contination Story of LA Candy, March 25, 2010
I have never watched The Hills so I cannot relate the characters in this novel to the actual author or characters in The Hills. I saw Lauren Conrad on a television talk show and I was much impressed with her interview and how she has moved forward from the television spotlight to fashion designer and now author. I saw the many/positive reviews on her first book (which I read) so I was excited to get book #2 to continue the storyline of LA Candy.

The continuation of the LA Candy storyline was entertaining, kept my interest and I got sucked into the second book just as much as I was with the first book that I could not put it down (very easy/enjoyable reading). You sympathizes with Jane, and how she is getting pulled in a lot of directions, Scarlett and what is happening in her life with her best friend Jane, and a new love interest that she cannot deny, Gaby getting pushed to being with Scarlett and Jane and Madison still the controlling vixen. Great poolside reading; finished the book over the weekend. Can't wait until book #3, Sugar and Spice (continuation of the story Sweet Little Lies) comes out this fall.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So bad it is good..., March 25, 2010
J. Wetherall (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
You won't be able to put it down. It is a mindless read that pulls you in and you wish it wouldn't end. Can't wait for the third book. Keep them coming Lauren!

2.0 out of 5 stars Its ok, September 20, 2010
This book is a great book for an adolescent however, lauren conrad doesnt have much of her own ideas she seems to be using her plots from The HILLS

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good as the first., February 10, 2010
Lauren Conrad did it again, she wrote an awesome book. I loved reading Sweet Little Lies. I bought this book on Monday and finished it today. It took me 2 days to read the book and I hated having to put it down. I feel that LC knows how to write a book full of suspense, mystery, and entertainment. It's so much fun to read a chpter of this book, finish that chapter and have the urge to continue to read more to find out what happens next. The characters in this book are relatable and realistic. I felt a bond with the characters, I felt happy when good things happened to them and I felt sad when the bad things happened. The way LC writes her books make the reader feel like Jane and Scarlet are our "real" friends. Great Book LC, Keep them coming!

Sweet Little Lies: An L.A. Candy Novel
Sweet Little Lies: An L.A. Candy Novel by Lauren Conrad (Paperback - August 31, 2010)
$9.99 $4.00