4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but impressive desserts!
This is an excellent dessert cookbook, just in time for the holidays!

Chef Richard intersperses his recipes with endearing anecdotes, cute drawings, and full-blown essays on his history with food and what he has learned from his unceasing experimentation. I particularly enjoyed his homage to microwaves!

I appreciate the chef's inventiveness and his...
Published on December 22, 2010 by Melody & Words

1.0 out of 5 stars Recipes Do Not Produce Stated Result
Published on July 27, 2012 by Justin M. Stevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but impressive desserts!, December 22, 2010
This review is from: Sweet Magic: Easy Recipes for Delectable Desserts (Hardcover)
This is an excellent dessert cookbook, just in time for the holidays!

I appreciate the chef's inventiveness and his willingness to incorporate nontraditional elements and techniques in his quest for efficiency and ease. I was particularly impressed by the value he places on flavor over sugar and fat. He constantly tries to improve flavor by limiting competing (and unhealthy) tastes.

Richard's classical French training, combined with his decades of experience as a chef in the United States, gives him a unique perspective on food. His contagious curiosity and good humor encourage any would-be cook to get in the kitchen and whip up something fantastic.

When I bake, I tend to find one recipe that I know works, and stick with it. Baking can be very complex, and, as Richard notes, a pastry chef can't taste his dish and add seasoning midway through like a savory chef can. But Richard doesn't rest on his laurels once he has found a good recipe; he constantly attempts to make that dessert better, tastier, and not quite so bad for you.

Michel Richard exhibits playfulness and a true passion for taste, flavor, and texture; I found myself laughing at his anecdotes and making notes of his efficient shortcuts. What's more, he has inspired me to stop playing it safe in the kitchen--the sign of a truly good cookbook!

For a full review, please visit my site, Melody & Words!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple sweetness...sort of..., January 14, 2011
Michael Richard is a well respected chef, who has written this cookbook of desserts with some much needed common sense. For an experienced cook these will not be difficult recipes, for a beginner, they will need to concentrate on both the content, ingredients and preparation. However, Michael believes in using a microwave when possible instead of a double boiler, trying to simplify the creation process in that way and with some other techniques.

This are more than the 50 recipes. He writes of how he became a chef, about the making of desserts and of the ingredients. He also includes a bit about each recipe. He even did the illustrations; there are no photographs in the book.
The recipes usually take up more than one page, which is sometimes a pain when you are trying to follow directions; and the ingredients are printed in a light brown print which for some might be hard to read, hopefully it will not fade.
Our family loves his Haute-meal cookies - for those that think bacon improves anything, even a cookie, and then there is his pineapple coconut upside down cake; both fun to make and even better to serve. So if desserts are your goal, this might be a good book to add to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delectable and Easy, November 16, 2010
Delectable and easy are the key words. So often a dessert book will have easy but not unique recipes, or unique recipes that require two dozen items and four hours of your time. This book combines the best of both.

1.0 out of 5 stars Recipes Do Not Produce Stated Result, July 27, 2012
As a full time homemaker (I am using my husband's profile), I cook nearly all of our family's meals from scratch. I have successfully made desserts from the "Inn at Little Washington" cookbook several times which have received rave reviews from guests. I have taken a cooking course in Tuscany, Italy. By hand, I make pasta without a machine. My family eats homemade tomato sauce, fresh fish, Chinese dumplings, spring rolls, made from scratch pancakes, osso bucco, East African food. I am comfortable in the kitchen and enjoy a challenge.

My friend gave me this book as an engagement present, and after attempting three recipes over the course of two years, I am getting rid of this book.

I have cooked three recipes from Michel Richard's Sweet Magic, and all three were under-whelming:

1- Choco-Mocha Layer Cake with Marshmellow Buttercream on pg 58- This was soggy and dense, a poor end to a meal.

2- Macadamia Chocolate Chip Cookies on pg 140- These were dry and unmemorable.

3- Chocolate Cups on pg 310- Mr. Richard claims that these are "easy recipes." I followed this step by step. The goal is to produce chocolate cups, with melted chocolate shaped around ice, which should then solidify and easily slide off the ice. The chocolate never solidified around the ice.

Michel Richard claims that "Sweet Magic" contains "Easy Recipes for Delectable Desserts." Don't be fooled by the misleading cover or by the name of "Michel Richard." These may look simple enough, but the results are anything but delectable. You can find a more satisfying and impressive cookbook elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delectible indeed!, November 21, 2010
The essays Richard writes that are included in this dessert cookbook are interesting but the best part of course are the number of dessert recipes he includes. As I begin thinking about my menus for friendly holiday gatherings (Mulled Cider and Rum Risotto...sounds yummy), Christmas Eve (Flan with Strawberry Cassis...mmm) and Christmas morning brunch (cinnabun...oh my), my mouth begins to water of the possibilities I've found going through the book. The only complaint that I have is that there are no photographic pictures of the finished dessert to go with the recipes.

Sweet Magic: Easy Recipes for Delectable Desserts
Sweet Magic: Easy Recipes for Delectable Desserts by Michel Richard (Hardcover - November 2, 2010)
$27.50 $19.41