Published on June 8, 2010 by Porfie Medina

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a 2 or 3 star piece of work
I bought this CD even though I had read the 2 star review by "JB", and as it turns out, I should have listened to that reviewer.

This is just another mediocre album by Jewel, and is NOTHING like her wonderful, earlier music. I am already tired of
listening to it and I've only listened twice to most of the songs.

Alas, the cover art should have...
Published on July 13, 2010 by David Marks

5.0 out of 5 stars Jewel Sweet and Wild deluxe edition will please new and old Jewel fans!, June 8, 2010
Porfie Medina "Porfie Jr. Medina" (Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Jewels new album Sweet and Wild is another beautiful album from this one of a kind voice. I have been listening to Jewels music since 1995 when her first album Pieces of You was released. I have followed her on this amazing journey as I watch and listen to her grow as a artist. Now days Jewel is known as a country artist, but to me and many others (who followed her from the start) she is still Jewel with no labels like coutry, folk, or pop associated with her. Her music has always been more than just those labels. Her music crosses so many different styles its not fair to label her music. Sweet and Wild is a more personal album and is about love and happiness as Jewel herself says. The whole album is great, but the stand out tracks are Fading, What You Are, Satisfied, No More Heartaches, Bad As It Gets, and Stay Here Forever. This deluxe edition will please those early Jewel fans because it has a second CD which has the entire album in Acoustic (titled Sweet and Mild) just like old school Pieces of You Jewel. Both versions are beautiful, but the acoustic version gives a whole new life to the music. I highly suggest getting this amazing and beautiful album from this amazing artist known as Jewel.

Track Listing

8. No More Heart Aches
9. One True Thing
10. Ten
11. Satisfied

Disc: 2 (deluxe edition only)

1. No Good In Goodbye (Acoustic)
2. I Love You Forever (Acoustic)
3. Fading (Acoustic)
4. What You Are (Acoustic)
5. As Bad As It Gets (Acoustic)
6. Summer Home In Your Arms (Acoustic)
7. Stay Here Forever (Acoustic)
8. No More Heart Aches (Acoustic)
9. One True Thing (Acoustic)
10. Ten (Acoustic)
11. Satisfied (Acoustic)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album; make sure you get the deluxe version, June 12, 2010
This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
I like Jewel as a singer/songwriter more than whatever genre she decides to focus on, so the country aspect doesn't sway me very much either way. Her material is still strong and the songs are well put together. She has always had a style that is compatible with country, anyway, so it's not a big divergence. Also, while the album is country-themed, not all of the songs sound "country".

So, this is a good album. Not my favourite (which is probably "This Way"), but good.

I have wished for awhile that she'd go back to a more barebones sound and lose some of the band complexity, and while she doesn't do that on the mainstream album, she does fulfill that wish with the deluxe version. I normally avoid deluxe versions, but this one is very much worth picking up -- the 2nd CD contains acoustic versions of the album tracks and, personally, I prefer many of them to the full-band backed ones on the main album. Some of these acoustic versions are outstanding -- "I Love You Forever", in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jewel Returns, June 9, 2010
This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
This is Jewel's second album since she swapped genre's (to an extent) from mainstream to country. An her seventh original studio album all together. As a whole I have to admit that I have enjoyed her evolved country style more so with this record than the previous. Sweet and Wild is a rather enjoyable listen for fans and newcomers alike.

The real gem here however for long time fans is the bonus disc affectionately titled Sweet and Mild. Which is the entire album broken down into an acoustic set. Which is very reminiscent of her very first studio album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jewel continues to grow as a country artist., June 8, 2010
This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Jewel has the perfect voice to sing country music. Jewel mixes it up with up tempo songs with slower comtemplative songs on this two disc set. She sings about love and heart break so well. My favorite song is "I Love You Forever". This is a sweet love song. I also love the hopeful upbeat tone of the song "One True Thing". This is a song about looking for that one true love. I love the beat of the song of the song "No Good In Goodbye". The musical arrangements of this song is very good. I like the violin playing on this song very much. "Fading" is a song about losing grip on reality and committing suicide. Even though this is a serious song, it does not have a sad tone to it. This song is very easy to enjoy and listen to. "What You Are" is a song about how the inner beauty of people in different situations. This song is very moving and thoughtful. I love Jewel's acoustic guitar playing on this song. This is my favorite track on acoustic disc. "Satisfied" is another gem. This is a song is about living life with no regrets when it comes to matters of the heart and love. "As Bad As It Gets" is a song about how it feels to have a broken heart. "Ten" is another song that sounds great acoustically. This song is about how counting to ten can often difuse the level of anger when two people are arguing. "Stay Here Forever" is such a happy song. I enjoy this song too. I love this new music from Jewel. She is really growing as a country singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will move you into a state of awe, March 20, 2011
This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Jewel has such a fresh voice that you can listen to all day and the lyrics are so moving you want to write love letters to your wife. Stay as awesome as you are Jewel!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Acoustic version of songs brings out Jewel's amazing voice, March 10, 2011
This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
The deluxe version of Sweet and Wild has an acoustic disk that highlights Jewel's amazing voice. I enjoy this raw version of the songs over the regular disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jewel at her best, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Have enjoyed Jewel since she was just surviving and living in a van in San Diego and playing with a guitar instructor friend of ours at various places.
She has gotten better and better over the years and this is a super value.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jewel, July 6, 2010
This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Sweet and Wild is by far Jewel's best work yet! I been following her ever since her first album and this one's the best!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Deluxe Edition is the Only Edition, July 4, 2010
If you are a fan of Jewel's voice and the beautiful simplicity of her music, you must buy the deluxe edition that includes the acoustic version of this album. The regular version is good but the production takes away from what many of us like best from Jewel-the quiet, sweet tone of her voice and guitar. I love this album and hope that she continues to offer this type of alternative version in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jewel is still a gem, June 28, 2010
This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
I just saw Jewel live in Portland, OR. She is so amazing! She sang Father's daughter and brought me to tears. Jewel is one of the most well-rounded singer/songwriter/musician's out there and one of the best live performers you'll see. She requires nothing more than her voice and an acoustic guitar to capture an audience, which is not an easy feat, and believe me, she's still doing it. If you haven't seen her live, do so if you have a chance!

Sweet and Wild/Mild is great and I think one of her best. My only complaint is that her last 2 CDS have been shorter than her older CDs (approximately 40 minutes,, I suppose maybe due to record label) I usually like her acoustic performances, but I have to say, the Wild side is pretty darn good as well. I have all of her CDs and her DVDs. There isn't one song I don't like on the CD, so I can't say I have a favorite or least favorite.

Her music has never sounded "pop" to me (with the exception of 0304), it's more on the folksy side, and I think can go either way depending on how she sings them, which she is quite capable of doing depending on her mood.
I love that fact that she is interesting and unique in that every album is different and she is able to pull that off, where some artists would not be able to, always leaves you wondering what she'll do next. I think this is really what Jewel is, not country, pop, rock, just a very talented and versatile artist doing it "Jewel's way." She has a real passion for what she does regardless of what type of music it is.

A lot of critics whine and complain says she's not the old Jewel and they want the "old Jewel" back, but she's also not 19 anymore. She writes music based on her emotions, experiences, and perspectives. Well,this changes as we age, so her music will as well to some extent. If she didn't change, people would be complaining that all of her music sounds the same. Her lyrics are just as thoughtful and soul seaching as they ever were. She is still the same singer/songwriter and just as good, if not better, in my opinion.

Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD]
Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] by Jewel (Audio CD - 2010)
Rate and Discover Movies