5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average story
Wow, this is a story that sucks you in from word one. A haunting tale of betrayal, love, and loss. The writer pulled me right into this strange world and didn't let me go. You won't be sorry to read this one. Very reminiscent of early Isabel Allende. Great story! Great unkown find!
Published on March 14, 2010 by Readaholic

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't bother to read it.
It didn't hold my attention enough to even finish it. This sometimes happens when you try a new author. Sorry.
Published 20 months ago by gizzy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average story, March 14, 2010
Readaholic (washinton, dc) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put this book down, September 4, 2011
This review is from: Sweetwater American (Kindle Edition)
A beautifully written story about immigrants and their families that will touch all your emotions. The story centers on Sandy, a would be filmmaker and her life in Washington, DC and her life in El Salvador after the death of her parents. It also covers her family and friends and their stories. Complex but very readable and I honestly could not put this book down. It will leave you thinking...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, September 7, 2011
This review is from: Sweetwater American (Kindle Edition)
An excellent book ---- as other reviewers have said, the story is poignant, haunting and lingers long after the final page is turned. I'll look forward to other works by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspires the full range of emotions; a heart breaker and heart maker all in one., September 25, 2011
This review is from: Sweetwater American (Kindle Edition)
I rate this book 4 1/2 out of 5 stars only because I found it a little difficult to keep up with who was talking at times throughout the story. Other than that, this book elicited an emotional response which took me from heartbreak to elation in seemingly endless cycles. Sweetwater American is a book you will cherish and one which, once read, will likely remain in your memory for a lifetime. Joyously recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, but time jumps detract., November 20, 2011
This review is from: Sweetwater American (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the story very much, and though I don't object to timeline jumps, the very erractic timeline detracts from the story to the point of confusing the reader. The author herself seems to become confused and loses continuity: The preteen and early teen years are covered in detail. But when the story later returns to the same time period, there is suddenly a best girlfriend who, we are told, the main character is with constantly. Yet this friend was not even hinted at earlier, and the prior revelations of this time in her life were very detailed and lengthy. Some events are so very predictable and, dare I say, uninspired. But overall, if you can get past the ragged timeline, it is a wonderful and touching story and well told in many ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, author, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Sweetwater American (Kindle Edition)
In reading Sweetwater American I felt transported to two very different worlds that shared a common bond of poverty and hardship: one of immigrants making their way in Washington D.C; the other of locals struggling to survive in their country of El Salvador. Author Eileen Cruz Coleman does a terrific job of weaving the story of novice film maker Sandy and her prime subject Elena, their lives seemingly different until they gradually become more and intertwined. Add to that a number of sub-stories within the main story, all of which make an overall plot so riveting I couldn't stop reading until I finished this remarkable novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful story about a young woman and the immigrant experience, June 26, 2012
This review is from: Sweetwater American (Kindle Edition)
As someone who lives in the D.C. area and went to George Washington University, where many of the characters work or go to school, I was fascinated by Sweetwater American and the way that it so beautifully described the lives and surroundings of recent Latino immigrants to the United States. Sandy, the main character, and I occupied the same space and I loved getting inside of her head and seeing how she experienced the world in such a different way than I did.

I'm a fan of Isabel Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez and very much enjoy magical realism and saw lots of strands of it throughout the book- mainly in the sections where the main character, Sandy, describes the time she spent in El Salvador during her childhood.

At it's heart, I think this is a book about the joys and struggles that immigrants face in the U.S. and the wonderful ways in which our American culture is truly a melting pot. It's a quick read so download and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and moving, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Sweetwater American (Kindle Edition)
My expectations for free Kindle books are rather low, but this was an excellent read regardless of expectations! The story is complex, jumping between current-day moments and prior memories of Sandy, and the characters are subtle; if you skim too quickly you can miss interesting twists and turns. I ended up reading the book in just a few days - the writing and character development were enough to keep me very interested, even though the book itself is more of a documentary than action story. My usual litmus test for a free book is whether I would have paid for the book - and in this case, a definite yes! My only reason for giving four stars is that some readers expecting an action-based thriller novel may find the pace (especially initially) to be a bit slow.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't rate books but felt the need to rate this one!, September 24, 2011
This review is from: Sweetwater American (Kindle Edition)
This book is brilliant. It's one of those that caught me by surprise. I started reading it and wanted to put it down because I though it wasn't a book I could relate to as a white, 30-something woman from a lower-middle class cityish-suburbanish background. I couldn't put it down. The _writing_ isn't brilliant but it's quite decent. The thing that will snare you is the story the author tells. Her characters make you think about your own story--how you synthesize the experiences you have, what continuity is in your consciousness, and how you relate to the world from your own perspective as a multitude of experiences. This book is brilliant. It explores who we are as people, no matter where we are from. Please, please read it and share. It's one of those rare ones that are worthy of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy!, September 12, 2011
This review is from: Sweetwater American (Kindle Edition)
Settle back and enjoy the ride! This book is extremely well written and thought-provoking. It carries the reader along seamlessly. Once started, I was eager for more (and anxious to try a chocolate covered mango). I can't believe the book was free!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›