Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Swell Season
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on August 12, 2013
To be fair, this album (2006) came before the recordings for the movie Once (2007). What was nearly perfection in the movie Once, is not so well-polished in The Swell Season album. Needless instruments muddy the waters, as do an overage of dual vocals from our two given artists on this album. That's not to say that the songs aren't still amazing, or that this isn't an album worth having if you like this duo, but this is by far the lesser of all their releases that came afterward, whith the notable Once Soundtrack still residing as the most likely contender for the top spot. This just feels like an album put out on a whim, one that they recorded quickly without a good producer, or maybe none at all. It is missing the focus of the albums that came afterward (which to date there are 3 including Hansard's newest solo outing.) If you are going to purchase this album anyway, just don't expect the wonderful melancholic vibe you've come to recall when you think of this band/duo. That way you will hopefully be able to accept it as a precursor to the sound that made them what they are now. Enjoy.
on November 13, 2010
"Once" quickly became one of my favorite movies and soundtracks. I still listen to the CD often (almost every day since it's also my daughters' favorite CD as well), so I was excited to listen to the new effort by Hansard and Irglova. The new music was good, some very good, but there are only a total of ten songs, and three, so 30%, are from "Once" (though they are arranged/interpreted slightly differently). I got the impression that they didn't have enough songs to make a new album, so they beefed it up with old songs to justify charging for a new album. It pains me to say this since I'm huge fans of theirs, but I kind of felt cheated. I'd say I was gypped, but I received this CD as a gift, so I can't say I personally was gypped. Still, kind of a disappointment.

Update: See Ms. Blake's response to my review. She is absolutely right that I was in a state of ignorance when I wrote my review. I wasn't aware that Swell Season had actually been released before Once. Thus, I see the error of my ways, thanks to Ms. Blake, and rescind the negative parts of my first review. My comments about the music, that it was good, even very good, still stand, and it's definitely an album worth listening to. I became aware after watching "Once" that Hansard had been around for a while, but I hadn't heard any of his music before "Once." The total playing time of the album is still on the short side, but I no longer feel justified in feeling disappointed by the fact that three of the songs were from "Once," since that's not accurate. So thanks, Ms. Blake (for the comments and the education, not for the condescension; you can keep that). I swallow my pride and throw myself on the mercy of the court.
on January 2, 2012
Overall, I like this CD but the second track, "Sleeping," is incomplete and ends abruptly in the middle of a sentence.
on December 22, 2008
Based on listening to the mp3 download (not the CD), I thought the mix was very odd with those wonderful harmonies often buried beneath the instruments. Otherwise it's a beautiful set of music. I really like these guys.
on March 14, 2013
the first CD of Glen Hansard I bought was Rhythm and Repose I played it over and over so I bought this one. there are a few song that I like but on a whole it is just okay
on December 18, 2013
Nothing wrong with this music, just wasn't what I was wanting. Not something I live to sit and listen to.
on February 5, 2010
They stil sound fine, a lovely blend of voices. Their harmonies are always pleasing. But alas, if you have the first album, don't bother with the new one. A few (a minority!) of the songs are new, but the new album is largley a rehash of the first album. It's a shame they haven't come up with enough new material. They divorced, since the first album, and that probably killed the "spark" that kindles creativity. If you love them, by the movie on DVD. It's already in the bargain bin.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2007
For the most part I like Glen Hansard's voice, but some cuts I find totally irritating. I really didn't need to buy both the "Once" soundtrack and "The Swell Season" CD. I should have done more research
on January 19, 2008
After seeing the movie "once" I new I had to have all the stuff these two have made together and I highly recommend both CDS and the movie too! I listen to them every day!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse