1,025
Price:$30.97 + $7.36shipping

Showing 1-10 of 401 reviews (5 star)show all reviews
1,040 of 1,061 people found the following review helpful
Verified Purchase
We have the shark, and first of all, let me say that virtually everybody's first reaction upon seeing it is to yell out a four-letter word! If you want to get a good idea of what it looks like and how it flies, look up Airswimmers on the web and watch the videos. They are also on YouTube. It looks and flies just like the videos.

WARNINGS:
This toy does not work outside, because there are too many air currents, and the slightest breeze will send this large balloon flying out of control. It does not work in small apartments or small rooms, because it is too darn big. You need a decent sized house, or an auditorium, church or basketball court to use this. Our house has normal 8-foot ceilings, and a big family room-kitchen area, which works great. Make sure there are no fans running. And it's a bit too delicate for little kids!

FLYING:
Wow, it really flies! You move forward by flapping the tail back and forth. You steer by flapping more left or more right. You climb and dive with a separate button that tips the shark up or down. With a bit of practice, you can steer wherever you want. Unlike many flying toys, this one really works.

ASSEMBLY:
You need to be somewhat adept at assembling delicate things to build this from the kit. There is a detailed video available that shows every step that is a bit easier to follow than the instructions-the video is highly recommended. The link is given in the instructions, or just search for airswimmers on the web. In any case, take your time, and make sure you have a second person to help.

HELIUM:
Any store that sells helium balloons can fill this for you. It stays inflated for a long time, then the store can top it off. I bought a tank of helium for this, and my guess is I have a lot of refills remaining. It hasn't deflated appreciably since we got it. The good news is, you use putty (included) to adjust for the amount of helium remaining (neutral buoyancy), so you won't have to refill often.

OVERALL:
Like many of you, when we saw this, we had to have it. I assembled it carefully, and it works. We're planning a trip to the community center with a two-story lobby to amaze some of my daughter's friends. It's fun, albeit a bit expensive with the currently inflated prices. Once some more of them make it into the country and the price comes down, expect to see more of them.

It's fun, a bit delicate, it works as advertised. Enjoy!

UPDATE: We've had the shark for a year now. We surprise guests with it every time new folks come over. It still works great, but we've learned a lot over the year. Here's what you need to know:

1. You really want to purchase a helium tank. It gets expensive topping off every 1-2 weeks at the party store, and it is hard to haul around unless you have a large vehicle. Do not top off with air as the manufacturer suggests, as this affects buoyancy. We are still on our first tank, since we are just topping off every few weeks.

2. Be careful not to lose the four rubber bands that hold the tail in place. These are the only small, loose parts and are critical for operation.

3. The shark will fly without needing to attach other helium balloons (as other reviewers have suggested). All you need to do is fill the shark completely, and adjust the trim (forward-back position on the remote control) for level, up or down flight. I have heard that some helium is not pure, but mixed with air, but haven't seen it myself.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
2,647 of 2,715 people found the following review helpful
on August 21, 2013
Brad and I caught Sharknado on ScyFy and had a good laugh. Brad in particular kept going on about how preposterous the whole notion was of a freak hurricane in LA bringing a deluge of airborne sharks.

You can guess the prank I pulled next. I waited until we had planned one of our home camping adventures in our backyard (Note: the AIR SWIMMER flying shark requires a good amount of space to operate, and definitely don't try it in high winds). I was in my Eagle Scout outfit and had just blown a rousing "Taps" on the trumpet to bring an end to our day. Brad had just doused our small fire carefully and plished off his fourth s'more, and true to form had broken out his harmonica to begin a lonesome "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot."

I excused myself, claiming I needed to go "visit nature" before turning in. When I was just out of sight, I ducked behind our tool shed and grabbed the AIR SWIMMER remote controls. To add to the ruse, I used my Bluetooth enabled smartphone to play the theme from Jaws on the jambox I'd hidden inside the tent.

Da-dum.

The harmonica playing stopped. "George?" Brad called out, standing slowly up and wiping some sticky marshmellow from his chin.

Da-dum, Da-dum

It was a low, unmistakable rumbling, as if from the depth of the darkest ocean. Brad's flashlight was out, scanning the tree-tops. Preposterous indeed! At just the right moment, I maneuvered the Air Swimmer into the clearing.

"Da-da-dum!"

Brad's flashlight flew up, illuminating the terrible jaws of this Jaws. I'd painted the mouth and teeth with a bit of red and hung a stuffed sleeve and fake hand from it for added effect. He yelled and fell back into the tent, tangling himself amongst the cords and nylon. The AIR SWIMMER dove down, and he screamed again, then, to his credit, he managed to grab hold of a flare gun and fired. The flare struck and propelled my Jaws up and into the air, then burst its guts across much of lower Hollywood.

Thankfully, by the time the authorities arrived we had packed up the evidence and were sipping chamomile tea in our kitchen.

"Did you happen to see a flying shark in the vicinity?" the officer asked.

"You've been watching too much television," I replied, returning to my tea. Brad rolled his eyes and had another s'more.
5353 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2011
I just purchased the shark today. I bought it at Toys R Us for $49.99 It included batteries and they filled it with helium (for free) It's a little different than the one pictured since it's radio controlled and the controller uses a 9v battery (included) instead of three AAA (the track AAA battery is also included) It also comes with several spare parts (rubber bands, rubber band hooks, clips) I really like this - very fun toy and hopefully it will go over well at work tomorrow (the reason I bought it)

Definitely recommend watching the instructional video on Youtube before assembly:

[...]

Make sure you tie a tether on it before filling with helium.

It does fit in the back of a sedan.

Install the control track before the fins and it makes it easier especially if you are putting it together yourself.

Make sure your ceiling fan is off and you practice away from the oven / open flame / etc.

What I did not like is the noise of the motor / track although that is not a huge issue.

Remember: Indoor only!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
I purchased my Shark Air Swimmer at an inflated price after seeing an online video. Wow was it worth it! Forget the kids, adults are mesmerized by the magical, swimming-in-air action.

For RC novices, it is also easy to fly, and not prone to damage from normal collisions with objects. Everything is constructed very lightly of course (It DOES have to float after all) so care in handling is essential. It is also quite large, but remarkably maneuverable in flight in confined spaces.

The biggest notes I have are: (1) Watch the online instructional video before buying or assembling (airswimmers.com) and (2) Have an assistant for assembly. The written instructions make more sense if you have seen the video first. The inflated shark is so large it is difficult to handle while attaching the components without help.

After that, just have a ball with this toy! Most everyone to whom I have shown this declared they had to get one too.

After having played with my shark now for a couple of weeks, I thought I would add a couple more observations. It has held helium remarkably well, and I have not yet had to "top it off" at all. The only issue has been that the little sticky tape items which hold the receiver track to the belly of the shark have a tendency to come loose. Fortunately, extra tape pieces were included in the kit, so I have reattached the offenders.

Take this to your local pub if you want to have some fun!
on September 27, 2011
When I first bought this thing, I was a bit skeptical, how could a $40 Balloon be any fun. After getting my Air Swimmer, it took about 30 mins to assemble. I went to the local party store to have it filled with Helium. They only charged me $0.69 Cents! Anyways, after assembly this thing was awesome! It was hard to tell if it was flying or swimming. My son learned a few things about ballast and air displacement. Overall a great toy, pretty durable. I've had it for 2 weeks and it still works.

A+
on October 3, 2011
I think this is absolutely the coolest thing this year. You do have to be careful and follow the instructions carefully as it is a very delicate toy but has to be to acheieve desired effect. It does work perfectly though if directoins are followed. The top fin on the ceiling is not a big deal. It does not control how it swims and may get a little squished after a few days of hitting the ceiling, no big deal.
It is easily drivable by all ages but adult supervision is useful for little ones so that it will last. One thing do not fly outdoors. we had the back door open (first nice fall day) and it got sucked out and immeadiately flew over the trees. Our fault what do you expect of a huge helium ballon that goes out on a windy day.

Overall one of the best rc toys I have seen that actually works. oh yeah some others say cheaply made it kind of has to be as if it had really heavy durable materials it could not fly, it would drop to the ground after a day. The materials arnt cheap the bands seem to be silicone and a very light weight plastic for the the motor housing
on December 7, 2011
I bought an airswimmer this past summer. I have enjoyed many hours with it. I am now passing it along to a friend because my house is too small to house it. Here are a few tips:
1. get a friend to help you put it together. It's slippery, and has a strange attraction to the ceiling, which causes my brain to not react properly (ymmv).
2. buy 100% helium. Many party stores offer both 100% and 50/50. Insist on the real stuff. Costs about $2-2.50 to fill. I filled it 3 times and each time, it held helium to swim around for over a week before getting squishy.
3. the balloon replacement is only $5. Consider getting it if you have kids. We took it to daycare, and many kids wanted to touch and pull it. Never had a problem but thought about the replacement cost.
4. Someone else suggested using superglue instead of the stickers. I would like to have tried that. The stickers were the most frustrating thing about it because they did not always come away cleanly from the sheet. But then again, I have trouble with perforated checks and simple mechanic tools, so again, ymmv.
5. Even with a 3 year old, and taking it to daycare, and dismantiling it to fit back in the box, I did not have any trouble with the durability of the wings, plastic, or mylar balloon. Only with the sticky tape, so I gave that 4 stars.

I bought mine for around $50 when they were first on the market. I feel that I got my money's worth from it, even with only a few months of use. If not for the small house, I would keep it.

Hope that helps!
on October 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
We bought this toy for my 61 year old father. It was a hit. It's super fun and it's very easy to play with.
on November 9, 2011
I cannot begin to describe how awesome this is. Just watch the videos. Then buy it (and probably a disposable tank of helium, too).

Some drawbacks to be aware of:
- Pretty fragile. Some of the pieces fall off occasionally, since they're only taped on.
- Doesn't work outside, too much wind. Even indoors, air currents that you weren't aware of will cause the shark to drift around.
- Each day's use will require adjusting the buoyancy of the shark by adding/removing putty from a little chamber, and you'll have to top it off with helium every few days.
on December 2, 2012
On October 1st, 2012, during a particularly dull evening of homework and paper-writing, three college roommates made a decision to change their lives for the better. They ordered an Airswimmer. Harvey Squidward, great white shark, was brought into this world via helium inflation on November 28th, almost two months after his conception. Since then he has brought nothing but joy, laughs, and bloodbaths of happiness into their lives. Harvey Squidward is a trusted confidante, a true talent, and a reliable wingman at any party or establishment serving alcohol. His graceful airswimming continues to inspire all those who are in his presence. Harvey Squidward is a real American hero and the boo of everyone's dreams.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations