Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Cole Swindell Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Price:$29.99+ Free shipping

on September 16, 2009
I had this item previously for 25 years until it finally wore itself out. I searched the web and found the Swing Away Wall Can Opener on Amazon. I was delighted that I could purchase the same product, except, it is nowhere near the quality of the original and wobbles and its cutting is hit and miss. I then discovered by old opener was MADE IN THE USA, and this new one is MADE IN CHINA. Be wary folks, the title of your purchase may be the same, but the production poor.
So disappointed in my purchase.
22 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2010
I too grew up in the fifties with one of these on the kitchen wall and have owned one since then, for about ten years in the 90's. Stupidly I got rid of it and just recently decided I'd buy another. Well this one does not work on eight out of ten cans. It just won't grab on and cut, it'll cut an inch or so then let go, or maybe it will grab and cut for most of the way around the can and then refuse to cut the last quarter inch. Maybe mine is a lemon I don't know but I wish I had kept the one I owned in the 90's because this one is a piece of junk. It looks the same and mounts on the wall the same but it does not work well at all.
review image
on July 13, 2011
Mom had a Swing Away that worked well for decades. This is not the same quality at all. Since Swing Away started manufacturing them in China, the quality has gone downhill rapidly. Wish I had known that before I bought it.

Got it about 9 months ago. After about a month I was opening a can and the thing just fell apart as I was cranking it. When I put it back together it no longer worked.

Don't waste your money.
on February 27, 2012
THIS CAN OPENER IS A PIECE OF JUNK! Let me start by saying we have used these can openers for over 35 years and loved them. They were wonderful, reliable and so convenient! Nothing could beat their top-notch performance. About every 8 to 10 years they would finally get a little rusty or tacky looking and we'd buy a new one. So a couple of years ago I ordered this NEW MODEL and like an idiot I threw out my old one before I used the new one. I was shocked to find that the new one probably couldn't cut hot butter! The blades are dull and misaligned and they just don't open the can without a LOT of effort and repeated cutting. The magnetic lid holder is a joke too! At first I thought I had probably just gotten a bad one, so I promptly ordered another one. When it came I started having the same problems immediately. THEN I noticed that the can opener was NOT made in the USA as all the previous ones were. With no other options available, I fought with this can opener every single day for a year. Every night, with every meal, I cursed and cursed at that stupid can opener and I begged and pleaded and then THREATENED it- trying to get it to open even the smallest can. Nothing worked and this can opener is A PIECE OF JUNK!!!! (Against my better sense I even ordered a THIRD one thinking that MAYBE I would get a good one this time. BUT I did not.) They are all terrible. Perhaps if someone has never owned one of the GOOD ones they will think this one is OK, and it is normal to have to cut and re-cut to get the lid removed. I did own the real deal that was made in the USA for all those years and THAT was a GREAT product. This new one is not!! I finally took it down and hurled in angrily into the trash can. Then I went and bought an old fashioned hand held can opener. I miss my old wall mounted swing-away so much!
on January 2, 2003
If you open a lot of cans, and have a place to install it, this is the easiest and fastest consumer-grade opener there is. No more fumbling and mis-fires.
A joy to use and much less effort than any hand-held model.
Does require a solid mounting surface - ideally a (wood) wall cabinet, or a base cabinet. You'll need to be able to swing it out of the away lest it become a safety hazard.
If you don't have a place to mount it, get the hand-held Swing Away as the cutter/gear mechanism for the wall mount and hand-held are identical.
I've gone through half a dozen can openers in just a few years, and then just as I was despairing that I would never find a decent one that didn't take up a ridiculous amount of space I remembered the wall-mounted Swing-Away that hung for decades on my great-grandmother's wall. I was thrilled to find that they're not only still available, but still inexpensive. I love that it "swings away" (thus the name!) to lie flat against the wall when it's not needed. The pull-down lever secures the can and the crank handle operates very easily, so the whole opening process feels secure and can contents don't slop. I can make "ten can soup" without feeling like my hands are going to break off or like the can opener's going to fall apart! I give these as housewarming gifts now. As others have pointed out, they do need a sturdy mounting point, like a solid wood cabinet or a wall stud (you may need to substitute longer screws than are provided). I'm confident that mine will last for decades just like Great-Grandma's.
on August 29, 2001
Having used every popular type of can opener, electric, manuel, counter, undershelf and attachment, I consistently regard the Swing Away Wall can opener as a superior product.
A positive locking handle, easy crank and convienent dismount for cleaning make this a clear choice for the kitchen.
on September 14, 2004
I agree that this is the best can opener in the world. My family had one when we were growing up in the 1950s. When I bought my first house I bought one in the store. For my second house I had to have a relative buy one locally and mail it to me since I couldn't find it in any store. Now I'm moving into a third house and... you guessed it... no store seems to carry ANY wall-mounted manual can opener. And this is southern California, a huge market where supposedly you can find anything for sale... somewhere.

Yet when I Googled Swing A Way can opener it gave me the Amazon.com page where -- obviously -- it is still available. Sold! What could be better than buying a proven product from a proven store??

PS: I'm guessing that stores don't stock this item because it never wears out. So sales seem to be slow... and they drop it.
on January 15, 2007
The can opener does not swing tight and once installed, kept swinging out instead of staying stowed. I bought it because it was so highly rated, but I am very disappointed. There is no magnet to hold the can lid either. Although it was intended to save space, it is kind of a clunky eyesore.
on October 21, 2003
FORGET ABOUT SPENDING MONEY ON AN ELECTRIC CAN OPENER! This is the best can opener any one can own. We inherited ours when we bought our house in 1991. It was attached to a kitchen cabinet. I had never seen anything like it. Twelve years later it's the one appliance we haven't had to replace! Since our house was built in 1960, I am assuming that this can opener could possibly be forty years old!
It folds flat against the wall/cabinet when not in use. It swings out for easy access. A series and grooves and teeth lock it into several positions. It is sturdy and easily opens even dented cans. My kids love using it also. It comes apart for easy cleaning. Forget five stars, this opener deserves 20 stars!