Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

50%
50%
Swing Is The Thing!
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$10.45+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 5, 2007
Flip Phillips (1915-2001) was just about 85 years old when he recorded this album on March 26, 2000. Flip had a very long career in jazz music prior to this recording and once went at it with Illinois Jacquet at Carnegie Hall in a saxophone dueling contest. Born in Brooklyn, New York in 1915, Phillips first enjoyed the spotlight in 1940 as an alto saxophonist for the Frankie Newton Sextet. In 1942 he briefly played tenor saxophone with Benny Goodman and also did small group gathering with the legendary Red Norvo.

This album does not really highlight Flip in his prime. While it is still worth the purchase, it does showcase an elderly Phillips who's blowing is no longer what it once was. I own another album, titled "Mayhem in Manhattan: Illinois Jacquet vs. Flip Phillips", which features a younger and much more enthusiastic Flip. I would certainly recommend purchasing that along with this title in order to see what a difference the years can make. Flip was a staple jazz musician who can stand proudly on his lifetime achievements.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on December 11, 2003
I love the sensationally sensious sounds of Flips sexy sax! He doesn't sound like a man in his late eighties, his tones are full and swinging as ever! This cd was released when swing music was popular in the late 90's with youngers like me who took up Lindy hopping! This cd while dancable at times, is more of a cool blowing session, and a great set of swinging jazz! Hey I'm only 14 years old, and I love this cd, so I'm sure you will too!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again