5.0 out of 5 stars I see the Tech Administration has already reviewed the book!
Published on July 12, 2011 by Michael Bunker

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mediocre Book From an Exciting Coach
Firstly, this is not a review of Mike Leach or his coaching. This is a review of his book, 'Swing Your Sword'. Clearly, this should go without saying, but as a Cougar, I feel it necessary to distinguish the two. In the past two years I have (finally) become excited about my Alma Maters football team, and I have a lot of newly acquired affection for our coach. He is zany,...
Published 3 months ago by Kendal

5.0 out of 5 stars I see the Tech Administration has already reviewed the book!, July 12, 2011
As a Tech fan and former student, I was interested in finally hearing Leach's side of the story. This book turned out to be so much more. I'm so glad that this is more of an autobiography, and that we learned more from Mike Leach's own pen about his life and his history. I agree completely with Donald Trump... Mike Leach was screwed... and the good 'ol boy network in Lubbock will continue to assassinate his character, lie about his actions, etc. in order to legitimize their screwing of Mike Leach. But in the end, Leach has won. He kept his honor, his principles, and his sense of humor about the whole thing. The scumbags in the bell tower have to live with themselves, and that can't be easy. Great book Mike, and I'm glad I actually purchased it and read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coach and now author, July 13, 2011
I had not planned to write this review until I saw the poor one. That person actually didn't review the book but only had criticisms for Mike Leach. His "facts" about Coach Leach were inaccurate which makes me very suspicious of the review and reviewer. For one he was the best coach that Tech ever had, past and present and it is fully documented about his winning record as coach at Tech. Also the graduation rate for football players at Tech jumped during his tenure. Secondly, Leach and Tech had signed an employment agreement that Tech broke and Tech is currently trying to hide behind loopholes in Texas law as they were hiding behind Craig James. Craig James had caused problems for players and coaches at SMU in the 1980s which lasted through the 90s whereas SMU is still trying to rebuild their football program and now he's made it a family business by spreading problems to Tech. ESPN should be ashamed to have James on their payroll. If they actually cared about the sport and their own ethics he would have been gone. Craig James' commentary on ESPN is worthless. I am glad Mike Leach has written this book for everyone to understand what actually took place at Tech. I was not even a Tech or Leach fan but can understand what employers try to do to get out of paying their employees even when they are contractually required to do so. I hope Mike Leach the very best in his future endeavors and I hope things come back around for Craig James and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far from a rambling rant...frank, funny...a great read!, July 13, 2011
Forget how Texas Tech brass handled Leach (laughable, but for serious...and possibly illegal...consequences). This book answers a lot of questions about the man and his methods...which, it turns out, aren't really mad at all. Can't imagine any coach of any sport at any level not benefiting from Leach's book...but it's also a think piece for lawyers, commentators and any underdog who's ever wondered "Why not me?". The lawyer turned coach turned author is most likely to succeed if he ever coaches again. If not, his innate curiosity, honesty and independence ensure he'll make the most of whatever he's doing. Leach won't be bored or bowed, and you can't put a price on that.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly entertaining read, July 15, 2011
A-H (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
From the first chapter, Leach had me cracking up. This book is more of an autobiography, and we get great insight into what made Leach the outgoing personality that he is today. The details about the Texas Tech-Adam James situation are there at the end, and while it is shocking how different the story is from what was put forward by the media at the time, this book is much more than that. Leach's story is a great one to read, his philosophy on coaching and life in general make this book absolutely worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good information, July 15, 2011
You can be sure that the Spaeth PR firm wil be flooding these reviews with negative comments about the book. One of the early tip offs will be references to Leach telling his superiors at TT to f... off. This is the Spaeth signature talking point so far. btw ESPN idefintiely suspended Bruce Feldman for assisting Leach with the book, supposedly after giving him permission to work on it.

This book is Leach's side of the story and is supported by emails and other documentation. If the supporting docs aren't legit TT Craig James and Spaeth need to offer up proof rather than conduct a anti Leach anti Feldman PR campaign.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swings MORE than a Sword!, July 17, 2011
This review is from: Swing Your Sword: Leading the Charge in Football and Life (Kindle Edition)
I admit that I am biased and that my husband and I are '67 graduates of Texas Tech. I also admit that we were at the BIG game between Tech and Texas that we won, and I'm STILL having trouble believing it!!! AND I admit being totally upset over what happened to Coach Leach and that I will not EVER forgive Texas Tech for their lies and defamatory actions towards Coach Leach!

That aside, I couldn't wait to get the book, and I haven't been disappointed in the least. I had trouble putting it down just to fix dinner or basically just going to bed!!! What a read!!! I already knew so much about Mike Leach and I understood the kind of person he was, but the book added so much more for my understanding of just what a GREAT man/coach/father/husband he is!!! Mike is a very principled person, a rare thing that we see around today. He has been a GREAT role model to the boys on his teams at various schools/programs. He has a VERY strong work ethic and expects the same from his kids. I identify with Mike being a retired teacher. The kids learn so much more from someone who holds their standards high!!! Mike proved that with his graduation rate being the best in the country for a public institution. After all, the education is what the boys are there for!!!

Be prepared when reading the book that you will have to have the time to actually sit and read and not be disturbed! When you get halfway through the book, forget about putting it down! It is a smooth easy read, one that you will enjoy! At the end of the book, you will feel honored having gotten to know and understand a great human being!!! Swing your swords, mates!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 16, 2011
Jeff (League City, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Swing Your Sword is more than just an account of Coach Leach getting screwed by the university. It is an interesting read with some funny stories from his childhood, and chronicles his path to being the head football coach at Texas Tech. Coach also gives insight into his methods of running a football program, along with an overview of what is involved for game-week preparation. Swing Your Sword is an overall great book for anyone interested in football, leadership, or just curious about a person's unconventional route to becoming a successful college football coach via law school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, July 15, 2011
BaltoColtNut "BaltoColtNut" (Fort Worth, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Great read! His life story is fantastic and he gave me enough about his firing to make me want to find out more! I love Swing Your Sword!

5.0 out of 5 stars Swinging my Sword, July 15, 2011
This book gives a very good insight into Leach's coaching style. Loved it there was only a brief amount written of the dispute between him and Texas Tech. Very informative book. Any university should be lucky to have such a man to coach their team. They would definitely be a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 20, 2011
I have read so many football books that I am sick to death of them. They always have the same 'I love the game soooo much', 'The game meant alot to me' predictable verbage that you could post any guy's picture on the cover and it wouldn't make a difference.

Not this book.

I learned alot more about offense than I bargained for. He explained in great detail the ins and outs of coaching the offense and the relationships it takes to be successful. Mike gives excellent insight into how they beat No. 1 University of Texas as well. He talks about how important it is for him to graduate players.

This book is a game changer; college football won't the same from now on. It is truly a sin that Mike Leach is not a part of it right now.

ARRAY(0xa38f7b04)