4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Be Beat For the Price
I got this, not for if we lose power, but when we lose power. We were without power five times in 2006, once for 47 hours during what our beloved power company called "a heat occurrence." That's when the temperature reaches 99° inside the house, and it has to be 140 before PG&E will pay for spoiled food. The other four times we were without were for 23, 6, 8, and 3...
Published on January 21, 2007 by Ethan Winning

3.0 out of 5 stars Great when it's working, Possibly salvageable!
Hi all. I bought this lantern and fell in love with it. I used it for one season, packed it away and alas, as many of you have said, it no longer works. As I read the directions and reviews here, I opened the battery cover and took a look. I suspect the battery is dead and herein lies the problem.

Contrary to the directions, I would suggest NOT cutting the...
Published on August 20, 2009 by T. Pastina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great when it's working, Possibly salvageable!, August 20, 2009
This review is from: Swiss Gear Rechargeable Lantern and LED night light (Sports)

Contrary to the directions, I would suggest NOT cutting the wires. The battery can easily be removed by pressing the small tabs on each contact and pulling the wire off the battery. Might be best to use a rubber handled tool to prevent shock. But, the battery IS replaceable and can be purchased online here or at Radio Shack for approx. $12! No need to junk the whole thing.

That doesn't make up for the company's complete lack of regard for it's customers but at least it's not a total waste.

I hope this helps someone.

1.0 out of 5 stars BATTERY WON'T CHARGE, July 9, 2010
At the end of hurricane season Nov.30,09 I put my Coleman 2 bulb rechargeable and my Swiss Gear rechargeable lanterns away.

At the start of hurricane season Jun 1,10 I took them out again. The Colman lit right up. I still charged over night. When I took the Swiss Gear out it would not light except for the night light. When I tried to charge it the full charge LED came on. I still charged over night. It was the same. I noticed a little darkening on end of the tubes. So I bought new ones. Same thing. So I took the bulbs out and trashed the lantern.

My new Coleman Quad from Amazon.com arrived yesterday.

1.0 out of 5 stars I found a replacement battery, January 30, 2013
Like almost everybody, my Swissgear rechargeable lantern stop charging in one season.
I forgot for while but I kept last 4-5 years. Today, I found the battery for this unit.
6 Volt 4AH Rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid SLA Battery 6 volt 4ampBrandUPGOur SKU3300650PartUB645EBALT14
Good luck to everybody share the problem.
****
As on March 7th 2013 It's working just fine now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dumb design, January 16, 2007
JK (Dairyland) - See all my reviews
Seems like a great idea: Fluorescent tube lantern with a high/low setting, LED nightlight, rechargeable battery, and both AC and DC adapters that hide in the lantern's base.

Except that: you can't turn the lantern on while it is charging; it is pretty fragile; and the battery is hard-wired in and can't be replaced without some soldering. Plus the battery takes forever to recharge, almost an entire day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance, October 27, 2006
I've had this lantern for less than a year. The battery will no longer recharge. Since the battery cannot be replaced, the lantern is now junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good as long as it works, May 26, 2009
Used it for a year. Worked well. Charged it up for Memorial Day Camping weekend. Worked for 5 minutes. Died. Tried charging in car. Did the same thing. Battery dead. Warranty is for 1 year and not a fixable part according to the manufacturer. Not a very good GREEN product. Not a product for someone trying to be prepared. I'd pass on this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until it Quits, October 31, 2008
I loved this lantern! It worked great for about 14 months (just out of warranty year) and the battery will no longer hold a charge. I contacted the manufacturer and was advised I can not buy a battery. I would have to buy a new lantern. As much as I like the lantern it just doesn't last. I wouldn' buy another one.

1.0 out of 5 stars JUNK, August 27, 2009
After one year and three camping trips, it no longer holds a charge. New battery for $12, but why waste the money? So it will die in another year after three or four more camping trips? I'm thowing this piece of junk away and buying a coleman.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same Problem, August 27, 2008
Battery will no longer accept a charge, lantern is junk, in the process of contacting company for exchange/refund/repair, I will let you know if we have any luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Recommended, April 6, 2009
The SwissGear Lantern did not last. Ours was used three times over the last 18 months. Now, it will not take a charge.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›