5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING backpack!
This backpack is so amazing and fits my life so perfectly! I'm a field auditor and need to take my laptop to tons of different locations in the city. Thus, often I am on public transit - buses and trains -- and I also do a lot of walking. Plus, in the summer, at lunchtime, I love to rollerblade around parks. This backpack fits all of this perfectly!

It fits...
Published on February 3, 2009 by Robert J. Kickbush

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good fit for 15.4in widescreen
Published on October 31, 2008 by V. Hoang

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING backpack!, February 3, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)

It fits my 15.4" HP laptop as if they were made for each other and the backpack has two pockets with the laptop compartment that hold extra batteries, power cords, disk drives, etc. Plus, there's still room for my super cool lunchbox (packed with a lunch) in the same compartment!
The next big pocket fits, a novel, two magazines, three case files for work, and my thermos full of coffee - with room to spare. There is a pocket the hangs down that holds full-size IPods and big headphones with no problem. An even more awesome feature is that the bag has a hole in the top (covered by a weather-proof flap) that lets you run your headphones out of your backpack straight to your ears! :)
Next, there is a little pocket that perfectly fits all my bus tokens and schedules.
Then, the front pocket has room for a full-size 10-key calculator, 5 pens, business cards, stationary, paperclips, rubber bands, and a few other things -- all in separate pouches or pockets and with plenty of room to spare. I could probably fit a few more novels in there if I wanted! Plus, there is a cell phone pouch in this pocket that fits my phone perfectly!
The outside of the backpack has pouches for two bottles of water on the sides and another cell phone holder on the strap with a sunglasses holder on the other strap.
If I took my files and books out, the backpack also has plenty of room for an inkjet printer and accessories in the second main pouch.

When fully loaded, the backpack is heavy, but the straps are so comfortable that I had no problem wearing it fully-loaded for an hour today.

This backpack is the most awesome thing for my work life that I could ever imagine! Plus, it is extremely well-made and the price is mind-bogglingly low considering everything. This backpack needs to be bought. Trust me. You will thank yourself.

I added some of my own pictures to show the backpack fully-loaded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots Of Room and good for travel, September 29, 2008
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
This bag is great for the money.
Has the perfect size Organizer to carry my cloths in to workout
Padded Shoulder Strap helps because I walk to work and the extra padding keeps my shoulders from getting sore.
Audio Pocket is perfect for my Ipod
Computer Sleeve is well padded for extra protection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A College Dream, February 17, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
I was in need a new backpack for college, given that I've had the same old one for over 6 years now and it was all but dying. I come on to Amazon and before I know it I come across this one and not only is it made by a well known brand, but the price was rock bottom!

The bag arrive sooner then I thought it would, and instantly it made my life easier. Unlike several backpacks that give you hundreds of pockets you have no idea what you'd do with, this one smartly has just enough for whatever you're carrying.

The padding all but massages my back and the straps adjust easily to how I need them. Also, I can already tell this thing is going to last me a good long while with how durable it's been built.

To top it all of, it as stylish as you can get without going overboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pack for 13" MacBook,, March 18, 2009
G. Koehler (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
I really like this pack. Lots of pockets to keep me organized, including a velcro-closed pocket inside the outside compartment the (just) fits my iPhone, a 'media' pocket in the middle section for my iPod with a well-designed outside access point for ear buds(a flap goes over to keep it dry inside), and the inside compartment (against the back) includes a velcro-closed compartment for my laptop. Padding is between the laptop and my back.

There are now great photos, but to describe there are two full-depth compartments, and two smaller 'outside' compartments, the larger at the bottom (where the cell phone, 2 zipped and one unzipped compartment is located inside the larger space). Just above that is a 'half-moon' shaped small zipped compartment that is OK for glasses and a few other items you might need to get to quickly. There is also a velcro-closed compartment on one of the shoulder straps that fits my iPod nano nicely (rather than being inside, often convenient), and on the other strap a sunglass holder (I never use that).

I have a 13 inch MacBook, that I also put in a neoprene sleeve when carrying it around. It fits snugly, which is great. However, if you have a larger laptop, I would suggest looking at a larger model. I have a friend who really likes his Maxxum Swiss Gear by Wenger Notebook Backpack Blue that easily fits a 15 inch laptop. The pack is bigger and heavier, has a lot more compartments, so it really depends on your needs. The Swissgear Computer Backpack is a simpler design, which really suits my needs, including taking a load of stuff, along with my laptop, to classes and the library. It has nice, padded shoulder straps.

The pack is the best one I've ever had, is well constructed, and I anticipate that I will be using it for years to come. The material it is made out of also does a great job of repelling dampness - winter drizzle and rain. And the price here on Amazon couldn't be beat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good fit for 15.4in widescreen, October 31, 2008
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
It would not fit my HP dv5t 15.4" widescreen properly. The top 2 corners extend all the way to the zipper. The top 2-3 inches are not padded so there are no protection for the top part of the laptop. The corners of my laptop hugs the zipper hence no protection what so ever. My last laptop had a dinged corner that caused the LCD screen to go bad. I can't afford to have the potential for the same problem again. I'll be buying the 17inch Swissgear backpack instead. Base on the reviewers for that 17" packpack, it's a perfect fit for the 15.4" widescreen.

On the plus side, this laptop is really nice. It has nice feel and the build quality is great. I wish it would fit my laptop. If you have a 14" or smaller laptop this is a good buy. Amazon or Swissgear should specify the dimensions for the laptop compartment. That would eliminate a lot of returns or unhappy customers.

3.0 out of 5 stars has been good so far but material has been a bit flimsy, February 11, 2011
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
So far the bag has been excellent for school but there is already a small tear. I usually don't carry many heavy books or anything so i am shocked that this has happened after no less than a month. I have heard so much about swissgear and their quality so i am bit disappointed. But i can't complain given I purchased this bag while it was on sale (originally 100 got for 35.99).

4.0 out of 5 stars I didn't end up keeping this bag..., February 25, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
I didn't end up keeping the bag because they sent me the wrong print. The bag I received had little grey crosses on the pattern instead of a cross-hatch pattern and to me it looked like a bunch of flowers. The bag seemed great though, with plenty of pockets and very sturdy. Let's just say that it will BARELY fit my Dell D820 (14.2" x 10.3"). The corners were VERY TIGHT. I searched around on Amazon.com and found that the bag dimensions really don't have anything to do with the laptop pocket dimensions. For instance, I purchased another bag that was listed as being shorter than this reviewed bag and it fits my laptop fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, comfortable... lacks durability., December 12, 2011
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
I purchased this pack for college as the messenger bags couldn't carry all of my books comfortably. I have not been disappointed as neither has my back or shoulders. The pack fits my chemistry, trig, trig solutions, 3 subject note book, TI-83, pens, pencils, index cards, 2.5" 3-ring binder, 1" 3-ring binder, 15.9" laptop, cell charger, computer cable, liter of water, sunglasses, bag of pretzels and 3 subject spiral notebook fairly comfortably. My only complaint would be regarding rain protection. I have to wear a rain coat just for the bulky bag as the zippers aren't protected from the weather. It's a wonderful bag and time will tell if it lasts the next 3 years. If it does, I will update. So far, worthy purchase for someone that is critical of everything.

02/24/12 Update:
I purchased this pack on November 10th and began using it soon after its arrival a few days later. The stitching is coming out of the shoulder straps already. That is a huge problem! Three months of use (really two, as I didn't touch it during winter break) and it is already falling apart! I wouldn't purchase this bag for $20 for 2 months of use. I have a JanSport pack from 13 years ago that I spent $25 on in high school and it is still holding up. Very disappointed. Good design, but it isn't worth the price for such poor quality/durability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and attractive backpack, August 5, 2011
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
I sifted through dozens of backpacks to replace my very old and busted one, before settling on this one. I chose it because it was not humongous (I wasn't planning on carrying 20lbs of books and computers), but was large enough to fit some groceries in when I walk to the store, or a couple of textbooks and a couple of notebooks for class. It's main function be my "man purse" since I hate carrying things in my pockets, and usually have enough stuff I want to take with me that I need to put it in something (e.g., sunglasses, prescription glasses, wallet, keys, pens, iPod, iPad, phone).

My major requirements were that it had a side pouch to hold water bottles, etc, an adequate number of pen/pencil holders, less than the thousand compartments that many backpacks come with, and ZIPPERS THAT DON'T GET CAUGHT ON THE FABRIC. The zippers were the most important part -- when it comes to backpacks, nothing is more infuriating than zippers that constantly snag or break.

PROS:
- The zippers are heavy duty and durable. I've had few issues with zipping/unzipping easily (although once or twice, the larger compartment can be slightly troublesome when the backpack is empty and the fabric is bunching up).
- Compartments. There are not too many compartments. Many similar backpacks have 4 major compartments, and then seemingly another dozen within those compartments. I am going to lose/forget stuff this way.
- Small, front compartment for carrying sunglasses. I've found this extremely convenient.
- I did not see this in the product description, but it comes with a plastic piece that is meant to be put on your keychain, and it snaps into another plastic piece in the front compartment. As someone who is always forgetting something, especially keys, I have found this to be extremely useful, and it keeps loose keys from scratching up any other items you have in there.
- Cell-phone holder inside the front compartment. This was very useful until I got a larger phone recently (HTC Thunderbolt, if you are interested). With my previous phone the compartment would close, but this larger phone, while it fits in the compartment, is too large and the pouch cannot velcro close.
- While not waterproof, I've been caught in the rain/sweated all over it and it has kept the contents dry.
- While I did not need a computer pouch, this comes with one for the rare occasion I take a computer with me.
- Good build quality - I've noticed no problems with the fabric and no "pilling" of the fabric that often occurs with fabric that rubs up against the cotton on your shirt.
- Two water bottle holders, which was a plus, because I often use both. They are also fairly easily accessible without taking the backpack off.

CONS:
- I have not noticed anything helpful with the "airflow back system." It can get pretty sweaty back there on hot summer days, and it doesn't seem any better with this backpack compared to others I've used.
- I've never found audio pockets useful, and the one for this backpack is no exception. The headphone wires inevitably get caught on some part of the backpack and tug/pull out of my ears.
- The red sticker on the cross emblem at the top of the backpack fell off within a few days of light-moderate use. Not a huge deal but surprised me that it came off so quickly.
- I've never been a fan of the cell phone pouch on the shoulder strap. The one on this backpack is very small and would not fit my smaller phone (Samsung Rogue). I'd rather do without.
- When I'm walking it can be somewhat noisy with the zippers tossing around, but this is not a significant issue.

Otherwise I've been very happy with the purchase -- I use it almost every day. Although I don't understand the function of the loops on the front of the backpack (is it just for aesthetics?), I don't have any problems with them. It's just the right size and fits just the right amount of stuff. As other reviewers have noted, it is not great for large laptops with screens larger than 15.4", but it works great for my little netbook laptop plus other books and notebooks. It is also not ideal if you are lugging around more than 3 books and 3 notebooks, for example. If given the chance I'd buy it again over other backpacks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a very functional bag..., February 10, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
Lots of space to pack everything you need. I have had this bag for nearly a month now and am very happy about it. Only unpleasant surprise with this backpack - the numerous logos printed [like watermarks] on the front pouch.[ Its not in the image that is uploaded - I zoomed into check after I got the bag :)]

The benefits outweighed this minor detail and life goes on. In a more organized way for me, thanks to the bag.

ARRAY(0xa96f3714)

SwissGear Computer Backpack (Black)
$100.00 $40.25