5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic build and feel
After owning 3 messenger bags for my laptop and books, and having each one wear out in some (major) way after about a year/year-and-a-half, I decided to finally bite the bullet and get a laptop backpack. This one seemed to be at a good price ($35), and the reviews were nearly glowing with enthusiasm and praise, so I went for it.

The first thing I noticed when...
Published on March 12, 2009 by Christopher Carignan

3.0 out of 5 stars Less spacious than expected
The bag is not very spacious as compared to my previous swissgear bag. The laptop storage section features a velcro flap to secure the laptop (often gets entangled with other items). About 1/4th of the laptop (15'' macbook pro) stays out of the laptop storage "pouch". The shoulder straps are very comfortable compared to older swissgear bags and distribute weight of...
Published 24 months ago by DevD

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic build and feel, March 12, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)

The first thing I noticed when it came was that the picture online is a bit deceptive in that it makes it seem very small; this was not really the case on my smallish 5'8" frame. So it is a bit larger than I had expected, but because of that it holds a lot... and I mean... A LOT. After using it for a week now, I can say that the two strongest pluses are that it's built like a veritable tank (I've never seen such quality nylon before!), and it is designed in such a way that, even fully loaded, it disperses the weight well, and puts minimal pressure on your shoulders. Very good for the back.

All in all, I'm very happy so far. This bag lives up to the reviews, and I hope that it will last a long, long time for me.

**Edit: 3/30/09**
I just returned yesterday from my first trip with this backpack. Over one week, I took this bag on 6 plane trips, 2 bus rides, 1 taxi ride, 1 shuttle ride, and multiple car rides. I can say that it is definitely worth its price... and then some. It's ridiculously durable (and comfortable!), and with a 3-year warranty, I don't think you could go wrong with this bag. A definite must-have for those on the go! Highly recommended.

**Edit: 5/02/09**
Still loving this backpack, but I thought it would be good if I mentioned one downside that I hadn't expected. I had it out the other day in a heavy rain for the first time. I wasn't really out in the rain that long, but it was evident that this bag isn't very water proof. A book and some papers got fairly wet, and I'm glad that my laptop wasn't in there at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Laptop Backpack Thus Far..., January 9, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
For the price, this laptop cannot be beat. Sure, I wouldn't purchase this laptop backpack if it were being sold for what it was originally listed at ($170 USD), but that was BEFORE I had a chance to use it.

Today, I would purchase this backpack whether it is around the 30 dollar mark or the past 100 dollar mark. Why? If fits very snugly with a conventional laptop or ultraportable (I have not yet tested it on a 17 inch widescreen yet, however), all the while being able to put in a number of items including bulky items such as document folders and even multiple textbooks. It does this all without putting too much strain on the laptop, and is easily adjustable to be set correctly on the user's back without harming alignment due to pressure at the wrong point.

The easily accessible cell phone holder located on the backpack right strap is just gravy on top of all of the exquisite features offered by this fine product.

Buy this product. You will NOT be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sent it World Wide, July 22, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
I bought this bag for my laptop prior to leaving for a four month trip to Texas. I liked the design and the brand, so at the price I paid, it was well worth it. I received it and was able to shove a whole lot of stuff in there with my laptop. I took it everywhere with me, tucked my wallet and brush in it and avoided having to haul a purse with me while I was out in the field. My laptop was safe, as was my camera, cables, batteries, and such.

Recently, my husband was sent overseas and I begrudgingly handed over my backpack to him for carry on (his laptop is larger, but it still fit, just wouldn't secure with the velcro strap). It made it all the way to South Korea without incidence.

One thing that he noticed, and I would like to point out. Light sprinkling, it can hold up to, but rain (real rain) it does not. Granted, it rains a LOT in monsoon season in S. Korea, but still for Swiss Gear, we were under the impression that it would be a little more protective from the rain. Now that we know, we can take appropriate precaution.

I know it says it'll hold a 17" laptop, but that must be without the strap. Mines' a 15.4 and it fits snug with the strap. I'd still recommend this bag, and if you plan to take it out in the rain, buy some of that water proofing spray at any outdoor's store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag, April 27, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
This is a quality product, it was bought for my Toshiba 15.4, it offers good protection, and has lots of storage space, that would be tons of storage space, i carry an extra key board, wireless mouse, external hard drive (Toshiba of course), all the documentation for the laptop, my PDA, camera... as i said lots of space. Quality product, offers space, protection and its comfortable to walk around with. the reason i bought this type of bag is because it is less conspicious than the generic type bag, it can be left in a car and is less likely that your car will be broken into because of the bag. good product i strongly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Size & Great Quality, March 24, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
This backpack is a quality product. It has lots of specialized pockets for all your computing gear and is large enough to hold the laptop and its peripherals. Best of all, when you travel, a lady can have her rolling bag and fit her handbag in this backpack so she has two carry-on items and isn't required to check luggage.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm small framed..., December 21, 2008
Pepper (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
so, this backpack is very big for me. I'm 5'2", and my son couldn't use it because it's too bulky for his school locker. He also is very lanky, so it's huge on his thin 5'8" frame. I think it's very well made, but I may have to return it because of the size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best backpack I have ever owned, January 9, 2013
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
I have had this bag for 3 years and it is still in perfect shape. Awesome quality! I use it everyday to bring my books and laptop everywhere I go. The back part has a padded shell that keeps my laptop protected, even when I toss my backpack and forget my laptop is in it, it is always ok. The design is simple, but when you open up all the pockets this thing can fit a ton of stuff in it too. I use it as my carry-on bag every time i fly. I don't think Wenger makes this bag anymore so get it before they are all gone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, quality, and looks!, August 19, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
This bag is VERY spacious. It might be a little too big for someone with a small frame. My wife is 5'3 and this bag is as big as her torso. My wife uses the bag to carry her 15.4" laptop around and the laptop compartment is very well padded. Straps are also well padded so it rests easy on your shoulders. The bag seems water-resistant (not water-proof) so that's a plus. We took this bag to Alaska and many roadtrips and it's very durable and COMFORTABLE!
This bag is very good for the price however, it's not perfect for these two reasons.
1. The bag is heavy. You are sacrificing weight for durability.
2. Laptop compartment has a little velcro strap that prevents your laptop from falling out. It's a good feature if you have a laptop that's smaller than 15.4". My wife's laptop is 15.4" and we can't close it because the velcro strap is too short and it won't go around the laptop.
Make sure you shop around but this is the one that I chose and my wife is quite pleased with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out backpack, January 31, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
Lots of storage and pockets. The folder compartment is great to have and the zip away water bottle holder is a well thought out touch. Lots of sholder support. Protection for laptop is very thick. Highly recomend this well made backpack.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great notebook backpack, January 21, 2009
This review is from: SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black) (Personal Computers)
A great backpack for notebook and office stuff, but it's not recommended like a unique bag for travel because your clothes can't be well stored.

SwissGear Laptop Backpack (Black)
$169.00 $49.99