5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag but where is the removable pouch?
First things first: has my removable pouch been stolen? coz i can't find it. ;) Maybe it's just another amazon error in the product description.

If anyone can find the removable pouch, let me know.

Down to the proper review:
Published on September 20, 2008 by Ben David

2.0 out of 5 stars Swiss Gear Quality is suspect
I'm ambivalent about this review.

The pros are that this backpack has a lot of room and carries everything well.

The cons are signficant.

Published on February 14, 2011 by JK "keeping it real&am...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag but where is the removable pouch?, September 20, 2008
Ben David "Vaserlan" (Leicester, England, GB) - See all my reviews

If anyone can find the removable pouch, let me know.

Down to the proper review:
There's no point repeating all the great features mentioned by others. You've read the other reviews: you know all about the fact that it's pretty much the only bag guaranteed to fit the large 17" laptops. In fact Dell sell it on their website as a bag that fits their 17inchers.

Here's a feature no one else has mentioned so far: unlike the Columbia Cyberpack, it has a plastic [fake leather] waterproof base so u can confidently place it on a wet/messy floor.

Someone mentioned the zippers not having zipper flaps to stop rain getting in. But we all know that those flaps over the zips can be awkward. I'm looking at my bag right now and i can see that there are flaps BENEATH the zipper on each side. So for rain to get in, it would have to get thru the zipper then thru the flap/ribbing directly [like 3mm] underneath. It's hard to describe what it is but it is water proof material beneath each side of the zip that closes together like drawn curtains when the zip is zippered shut.

NOT MENTIONED B4:
One nice visual aid is that the zippers for the main compartment are noticeably bigger than the others.

Also there is an apparently flimsy handle at the back behind the main handle. It's to hang the empty/lightly filled bag up on a hook. It took me about a minute to work out what it was for. :O

btw: the main handle is totally over-engineered but gorgeous: it is a very soft plastic and fabric handle surrounding a a steel wire handle which is itself coated in plastic. It's one mean looking handle.

One thing, I've noticed is that one of the shoulder straps is loose around the length adjuster and i have to keep tightening it up or the one for the right shoulder keeps getting longer and longer. I'm thinking of stitching it into the desired position but because i go to the gym and have aspirations of getting an upper body like John Cena's, i fear that if i stitch the shoulder straps into the present desired position that when [not if ;)] i get huge it would no longer fit across my back and I'd have to unstitch the straps and readjust to fit around my hopefully huge back. As you can imagine: i hope i do encounter this problem. It would be a small price to pay for looking like John Cena. ;)

btw: In comparison with the Columbia Cyberpack [a laptop backpack for up to 15-Inchers], that i also own, it doesn't have the Cyberpack's reflective elements useful for when walking at night.

Perhaps the quick pocket [the red-lined pouch near the handle] should have been made of luminous material on it's inside [instead of the red lining] to help find things in the dark when outside. I suggest keeping a small torch inside the small pocket inside the quick pocket.

The organiser/organizer panel in the front compartment elicits mixed feelings:

Pros:
I has two slots for credit cards. Good
A good mesh pocket to hold a battery powered shaver.
A good pen holding pocket.

Cons:
It has three pockets. good. but they are on top of each other so if you use all three it cause a bit of a bulge in the front pocket.

Also, there is a clip for key rings but the thing it so short it's hard to find and a lot more awkward than what it should be.

I suggest buying the "Victorinox 1679500 Army Knife Swiss Champ" to fit in the organiser panel. It has a pocket to fit it.

SUMMARY OF POCKETS/COMPARTMENTS:

TEN EXTERNAL COMPARTMENTS/POCKETS:
U CAN SEE THEM FOR YOURSELVES. :) But you'd have to go on other websites. So here is a summary:

1: front compartment [contains organiser panel]

6: left mesh pocket [un-zippered]

7: right mesh pocket [un-zippered]

8: left diagonal side pocket

9: right diagonal side pocket

10: pocket on the left shoulder strap that is good for holding a small mobile phone, mp3 player etc. I find it very useful to put a bus ticket in.

ORGANISER PANEL [INSIDE FRONT COMPARTMENT][a group of small pockets for stationary etc]:

* LEFT POCKET: holds pens and has two slots for credit card sized cards

* CENTRE TRIPLE DECKER POCKET: three pockets on top of each other

* RIGHT MESH POCKET: large enough to hold a small shaver

* red zippered pocket behind the organiser panel

* hidden key ring clip [A SORT OF BAG EQUIVALENT OF A DVD EASTER EGG ;)]

FIVE INTERNAL POCKETS [THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ORGANISER PANEL] [HIDDEN EXTRAS]:

1: zippered mesh pocket inside book compartment

2: document/magazine pocket inside the main compartment

3: small pocket inside the top 'quick pocket' near the handle. [with an exit for mp3 player head/earphones]

4: document pocket inside the laptop compartment [I SUGGEST NOT PUTTING TOO MUCH IN THERE COZ IT MIGHT PRESS AGAINST THE LAPTOP SCREEN-LID.]

5: small zippered mesh pocket inside top of laptop compartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of space and good workmanship, November 28, 2007
There are two problems I have had with notebook backpacks in the past. Number one was, that they say to be 17 inch compatible, but they actually do not fit larger than average 17 inch notebooks. Rest assured that this backpack will even fit the largest 17 inch laptops. I can fit the Dell XPS into it with no problems. The zipper line does not lie tensely over the corners of the notebook and does not create scratches.

Number two is the quality of the zippers. The zippers have to run smoothly, easily, and not come apart, split open, get stuck, or display other annoying dysfunctions. The zippers on this pack are of very good quality.

There is tons of auxiliary storage space. If I had a say in it, the shoulder straps could have a little more padding, but since it fits my large notebook, I will not deduct any stars this time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent backpack, but not as good as their 15" backpack, January 3, 2010
This Ibex backpack is the very best backpack on the market for a 17" laptop, but it's slightly disappointing when you compare it side-by-side with the 15" Synergy backpack from this VERY SAME COMPANY! I don't understand why Wengar Swiss Gear doesn't simply make a 17" version of the Synergy backpack?

Right off the bat, I was disappointed to find out that this 17" backpack has FEWER POCKETS AND STORAGE COMPARTMENTS than the 15" backpack. How is that possible for a bag that's supposed to carry a LARGER laptop? My biggest disappointment, however, was that there is NO SMALL ZIPPER POCKET on the very front of the frontmost pocket. This pocket was so handy for quickly throwing in airplane tickets or itineraries or anything else that you need to grab quickly. Next, the zipper pockets on the 2 sides are absolutely tiny and can barely hold a pack of gum. Compare this with the 15" backpack, which has HUGE zipper pockets on the sides which stretch all the way down the side of the backpack... I used to store my digital camera and other big items in those side pockets.

However, after using this backpack for 2 years, I have grown to love it and I have yet to find any other backpacks that are BETTER than this one. So this is absolutely the best backpack on the market, but there's always room for improvement! :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Swiss Gear Quality is suspect, February 14, 2011
I'm ambivalent about this review.

The pros are that this backpack has a lot of room and carries everything well.

The cons are signficant.

1) if you are a semi-muscular person, the shoulder straps could hurt. The one thing that other owners of this knapsack have commented on is that this problem could be solved if Wenger had just put cross strap that crosses in front of one's chest and connects the two shoulder straps.

2) one of the shoulder straps has a place for a cell phone. There are a couple of problems with it. First, it is way too narrow to fit a smartphone (e.g. an iPhone or a BlackBerry). It can only fit an old-fashioned cell phone (i.e. a non-smartphone). Second, the bottom of this cell phone holder is a major weak spot for the knapsack. It broke apart after a month. The worst thing is that I've seen this exact same problem on several different Wenger backpacks.

3) the other shoulder strap has completely fallen apart.

Wenger needs to redesign the shoulder straps for their backpacks. They have a great product otherwise, but since many people are carrying laptops in their backpacks, shoulder straps that break apart endanger laptops. In contrast, I've had an L.L. Bean backpack for 10 years and have put them same amount of stuff in it. The shoulder straps are still intact, however, the Wenger backpack has better aesthetics.

NOTE: I have to write an update. If you want absolutely great customer service, then Wenger is the company. I went to their website and found the email address for the Warranty Department. I sent an email and they responded within 30 minutes. They asked for some readily available information and a few pics of the problem. I sent it to them and they responded within 30 minutes that I needed to pay $10 for shipping and handling by PayPal. I did this and they again sent me a reply email within 30 minutes that a replacement backpack was going to be sent to me. I received it the very next day. I did not have to waste any time or energy sending back the defective backpack, and now I have a perfect knapsack again. Wow! Truly A+ customer service.

I'm still unsure about the quality of this item, but no other company I've ever dealt with has the customer service of Wenger. This company totally deserves its excellent reputation.

If this backpack holds up, then I will revise and give it far more stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars lug it all, May 1, 2008
Randy Lane (Kenmore,wa United States) - See all my reviews
This back pack is very good. Well made, sturdy for carrying all the weight. The two items missing that keep this from being a 5 star review are: no waist strap, With all this wieght in the pack this would help alot. 2nd is no rain flaps on the zippers. I am in Seattle and I am concerned over rain getting into the bag on the long daily commute.

17.5 inch laptop (10lbs) 4lb power brick. plus lunch, note book, paper work, coffee thermos, Oracle manual, Reading book. Yep, alot fits in this while staying compact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Office On My Back!, July 21, 2009
The only unfortunate part of this purchase was I had to pay full price at BB ($110) but I needed something quick and durable...in the end this bag would be worth double.

Let me say this thing holds EVERYTHING, and I mean that literally.

I got the bag home and decided to "load it up" this included the following items:

17" Dell Studio Laptop
Power Cable
Belkin 10 Piece Tool Kit W/Case
3 WD Passport External HDD
3 Case Logic HDD Cases
My Garmin GPS (out of my car)
Calculator
Wireless Mouse
3-5 Usb Flash Drives
Pens/Pencils
Cleaning Kit
Work Files
iPod Touch
USB cables (various lengths)
Headphones
Blank CD's
Blank DVD'S

I pretty much keep my whole office with me at all times, and to top it all off...I take this beast on my GSXR motorcycle to work and back. This is were the comfort and durability come in very handy! The shock absorbing straps and air vented back are perfect for riding, even with heavy cargo.

The stitching and craftsmanship is top notch on this bag, heavy duty zippers inside and out, compliment the high quality thick nylon body of this bag! I would definitely recommend this if your looks for lots of room, great storage for a 17" laptop, and excellent build quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine fell apart, November 2, 2009
This bag has ample capacity for my Dell vostro 1700, a 17" laptop with an extended life battery that makes it a bit wider. But, within a year of owning the bag, the main zipper came undone and the stitching on both shoulder straps has started to pull out. This is not what I expected from a pretty expensive Wenger product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pack, only minor flaw, December 21, 2007
Mikey Cooper (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
After trying out numerous notebook backpacks, this one was the only one that could comfortably hold my 15.4" notebook. It's very rugged, with heavy duty straps and a cable-reinforced top handle. It's absolutely cavernous inside, with enough room to easily hold my laptop, mp3 player, various ac adapters, usb dongles, a book, an umbrella, a poncho, sunglasses, etc. and I've still got lots of empty space.

The only major issue I've had with it so far is with the much touted stand-up base. The bottom of the backpack is definitely sturdy and reinforced, but there is no reinforcement or bracing toward the lower section of the front pockets, causing the entire backpack to fold forward onto the base when set on the floor. This was a pain until I just stuck a hardcover book in one of the front-most pockets to keep it from being able to bend. Otherwise, I'm super-happy with this purchase.

If you don't mind putting something rigid and inflexible in one of the front pocket to keep the backpack upright, it's a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, April 18, 2009
I've had this backpack for almost 2 years now and I couldn't be happier. I'm a college student and even with 2 years of use, the backpack shows little to no wear, even on the "leather" (plastic) bottom to keep it from getting wet. I've had to walk to and from classes in the rain before and have had zero problems with any water getting in and ruining any of the contents.

Lots of the items on the backpack seem very durable and heavy duty. The zippers feel very rugged and have never faltered for me. The main handle on top is way stronger than it needs to be, but I'm not complaining since I would rather have it over built than under built.

I only have a 15.4" HP laptop right now but it fits easily with plenty of room. Here shortly I will be getting a 16.4" Sony Vaio and I'm positive it will fit, so it would easily be able to handle a 17" like it says.

There are more than enough pockets and compartments to hold anything you need. I've carried a laptop, 2 books, 2 notebooks, camera, iPod, cards, power cable, misc cables, stapler, markers, pens/pencils, 2 calculators, water bottle (room for 2), snacks, and there was still a little room left in the small pouch between the laptop and the main compartment. So it had plenty of space for me at least.

Overall, I couldn't of been happier with this backpack. Large enough to handle anything I can throw at it, and sturdy enough for it to last as long as I need it to. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks Nice, Quality not so much....., March 8, 2012
I ordered this bag for an HP 17" laptop. The first thing I noticed was that the side pocket zipper was sewn wrong and opening slightly at the start when closed. Sure enough, with weight in the bag, the zipper would just pop right open. After loading my laptop in I noticed I had to zip the main compartment specifically from one side, or the zipper would come apart the instant I picked up the bag with the shoulder strap or handle. With two broken zippers out of the box, I have to seriously question the build quality from Swiss Gear.

On another note, My laptop measures 16.5" at its largest point, and the zippers for the laptop compartment barely zipped over the corners. The padding for the laptop itself stops several inches shy of covering the entire laptop. This left an entire side of my laptop exposed to damage from any accidental bumps or bangs. The tag on the bag says "Fits up to 17" laptops" but honestly- I wouldn't put anything bigger than a 15.6" screen laptop in this bag.

The bag itself held far less gear than I'm used to as well. I'll go back to Targus and my CityGear 17" backpack, which dwarfs this backpack and has been carrying all my gear (laptop, hard drives, lots of tech toys, large programming/technology books, my lunch, and everything else I've thrown at it) for the past 4+ years with only a couple broken zipper pulls (thus the shopping for a replacement). If the Targus had metal zipper pulls, and the special shoulder straps of the Ibex, it would be perfect.

This bag gets one star for be advertised for laptops too large to fit, and poor build quality.

If the quality was up to par, this might make a nice backpack for a 15.6" laptop and some other small items. But if you carry a large amount of stuff- this likely won't hold it.