4.0 out of 5 stars Solid backpack
I've had this backpack for almost 6 months now and its a good solid backpack with tons of room. No defects yet and everything still in excellent working order and I do use this daily.

Published on December 31, 2011 by T. Rautio

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Good
I have had this backpack now for about 1 year. It has flown with me for 120,000 miles, 3 continents and multiple countries.
With a 17" laptop which is heavy and all my gear this bag gets to be very heavy.
The right should strap is now coming apart, the stitching didn't hold up to the 25lbs I have in it.
The very front of this bag is not that well designed,...
Published 19 months ago by Gerry

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid backpack, December 31, 2011
This review is from: SwissGear ScanSmart Laptop Backpack - Black (Accessory)

Cons - I do find a few things odd to me. For instance: The rear compartment, where you put the laptop, has a zipper that goes down one side and only up as high as top center. I sometimes have trouoble getting my 15.6" laptop in and out of there. I cant imagine how easy to use it would be with a larger laptop. They should have at least let the zipper go all the way across the top.
The second thing that bothers me is the shoulder straps. I'm a large guy, 6'1" 250lbs and the padded part of the strap just makes it to my chest making it uncomfortable to carry using only 1 strap, like you see school kids do, so I've been wearing it using both straps.

Pros - I would like to state again that I love the room this backpack has. It might not look it but it has volumes of room. I can easily carry my laptop, charger, mouse, phone charger, large bottle of ibuprophen, hairbrush, stain stick, dayplanner, lunch, dinner, two 2 liter bottles of soda, and a couple of books and still have some room to spare.

4.0 out of 5 stars HP Pavillion DV7 Fits just fine.., February 24, 2011
Not too much to say about this bag that hasn't already been said. It is pretty boring as far as swissgear bags go. Lots of black woven vinyl. Very well built but feels a little 'cheap' compared to the SA9360 or the Wired Laptop Backpack for 17-Inch Notebook. It does not have a wired headphone socket on the shoulder strap like those two either. Speaking of shoulder straps, they are thinner than the other two models mentioned both in width and padding so I do not think that this is quite as comfortable. That said, it felt fine lugging around the laptop and overnight clothes etc for a couple of hours. The two models mentioned are a very tight fit for 17" notebooks though - they should be listed as fitting all 16" and the slender Macbook Pro 17" only. Bigger desktop replacements will not fit easily unless you are willing to remove or slit the thick bottom padding.

As my title says, this one does comfortably fit the HP 17" widescreen models just fine, however, do NOT expect the TSA to let the 'SmartScan' feature through with a big laptop in there.. The mesh viewing window for the smartscan is about the size of a netbook so a proper laptop simply looks like a large plastic device in there! My experience was a delay of 5 more minutes while they had me take it out and scrutinize it and myself. They recommended that I take it out in future so they can visually see it as well as x-ray it, the man did say that when they can see laptops properly in the smartscan style bags, they are satisfied. In my opinion, by the time you have unzipped, unfolded and balanced the bag before sliding it on the belt for viewing, you might as well have just taken the damn computer out in the first place!
Final point: I do not think that an 18" Notebook would fit in this bag without stretching the super smooth zippers around it on the top corners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent backpack, November 19, 2010
This product is perfect for the college student. Ample interior space to lug everything around in. Great pocket storage and very sturdy. This is my second Swiss Gear purchase. I will continue to support this company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best laptop bag ever!, December 28, 2011
A breeze when going through security. Just unzip and open like a clam shell.

A real timesaver! I would highly endorse this pack to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful backpack for people who need a workstation on the go, May 13, 2013
This review is from: SwissGear ScanSmart Laptop Backpack - Black (Accessory)
First of let me start in saying i bought this backpack to carry around my 15" Sony Vaio laptop with me. I am a professional audio engineer so i need to have various cables, adapters, professional headphones, and interfaces with me at all times. This particular backpack has ample room for all of that and more to spare. Now, onto the latop

Pros:
-Easily fits 15" laptop into the laptop sleeve
-has many pockets to hold a ton of stuff, but compresses nicely when empty or not full to the brim
-has seven external pockets and several internal pouches for accessories like a laptop charger, phone charger, etc
- has a key hanger thing (not sure of the technical term) in the from pocket which makes it very easy to store your keys away and not lose them in the bottom of the pouch
-HAS A TABLET HOLDER. i capitalize this because i didn't see it anyone in the description. its a perfect size for an ipad to fit in comfortably.
-seems to very durable and rugged like everything Wenger makes

Cons:
only one comes to mind, the zippers sometimes get stuck at a funny angle. they still function just find, but you kind of have to wiggle it or the part of the zipper you actually grab onto gets stuck. not a huge problem as i've had many backpacks with this issue.

Overall this is a wonderful bag. it has ample room for anything you would ever want to put in it as far as technology goes (which is what i got it for). the smartscan feature will come in handy at the airport as well, i just haven't had the joy of using it yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome backpack!, May 28, 2012
This backpack is awesome! I am a graduate student who travels often, so I really enjoy the scan smart feature and the laptop compartment is also easily accesible and nicely padded. It also has a ton of other really useful pockets that even keep me organized (which is quite a feat). Also, Swissgear backpacks last forever (my last one lasted almost 8 years). I would have given the backpack five stars except that the light grey portions of the backpack are much darker than they are pictured here.

5.0 out of 5 stars SwissGear Backpack, February 21, 2012
This review is from: SwissGear ScanSmart Laptop Backpack - Black (Accessory)
This is a Great Backpack!
Beautiful with good quality!
There is a function very interesting, in the checkpoint, unfolds to flat position keeping above and below the laptop sections clear.
I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good One, April 4, 2012
YMMV (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I wanted a bag that would fit my Toshiba 17 (Satellite P775-S7368) without being bulky or overlarge. Price was not an object, but all the more expensive bags I found were just too big for everyday schlepping around. This bag was a good value (you might benefit from looking around - there are better deals out there) and fit perfectly - not more than an inch or so to spare and no wasted space. A couple of little things could have been better: No pull strings for zippers - not a serious flaw, but these really help; interior pockets could be better, for example, it has a pocket for CD's (really) but not for eye-glasses; key fob requires you put your keys on the integrated ring, rather than snap on you own. Like I said, little stuff, but not enough to detract from a good bag at a more than fair price. For me its five stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Good, November 24, 2012
This review is from: SwissGear ScanSmart Laptop Backpack - Black (Accessory)
The very front of this bag is not that well designed, stuff drops to the bottom and can be hard to find.
No really good place for a Passport and Boarding pass that you want to keep hidden when in a not so great part of the world.
The large pocket holds all the electronics needed and a change of clothes for those long flights or the one nighter.
Very fast through security, not taking out the laptop is a help.
Overall I would buy it again, (actually have to go buy another since the strap is coming apart on me)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease in travel for college student or business professional on the go, May 22, 2014
For the college student who wants ease with travel or the business person who wants the same, this is the best source for carrying the larger laptops with a few accessories. Durable, stable, and hands down long lasting. Zippers eventually go out but to be expected.

SwissGear ScanSmart Laptop Backpack - Black