Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 22, 2013
The SA1592 backpack has been on the market for quite a while, so I'm really surprised that this is the first review. I bought mine at a retail store, where I had an opportunity to directly compare SwissGear backpacks against a number of other brands, like The North Face and Jansport. To me, SwissGear offered the best build quality, along with an attractive style, at a very competitive price.

After deciding to go with SwissGear, my next decision was choosing between the SA1592 and the SwissGear 1900. Both are very well made, and share many common features, and are available in black, and black and red, color schemes. The 1900 has a heavy duty plastic handle on the top, and a separate side accessible compartment dedicated for a laptop. However, to secure the computer, there was only one narrow padded strap with Velcro on both ends. This did not seem to provide adequate security, and the 1900 does not have a waist strap. So after some deliberation, I went with the SA1592, because it seemed to offer a bit more security.

The SA1592 is about 20" high, and 16" wide, and has many of the standard SwissGear features, including bottle holder pockets on each side, large 11" high zippered side pockets with grommet holes, a compartment with organizer pockets, heavily padded an sculptured airflow backing, padded shoulder straps, and a large main compartment with a deep sleeve for a laptop up to 15". The black and red nylon outer material, appears to be pretty durable, but is still very pliable, with a slight sheen. The major zippers are wide, and have large solidly built metal pull handles, with openings that you can insert a small padlock through. If you really had to, a cord could be fed through the grommet holes in the sides of the pack, and used to tie down something, on the top of the pack.

There's a slit on top to feed through your earphone cord, and a couple of dedicated pockets inside, near the top, for your phone, radio, or MP3 player. This larger compartment can accommodate quite a bit, and has a couple of additional zippered compartments inside. The organizer compartment is on the back near the bottom, and has five pen-sized sleeves, other miscellaneous pockets, as well as a detachable key ring. A small detachable holster case, is provided on the shoulder strap.

The strap for the laptop compartment is Velcro, but almost everything else is secured by either zippers, or plastic clips. Things may slide around inside the backpack, but properly zipped up and secured, there is very little chance that anything inside will accidentally fall out, or get lost, except for through the grommet holes.

What's missing? Not too much actually. While the padded handle on top is very serviceable, a hard plastic one like the 1900 model, would have been nice. Plastic bumpers on the bottom of the pack would have provided additional protection, but that would also have made the pack less collapsible.

Empty, the backpack doesn't weigh much, but it is capable of holding a lot of stuff. It is very comfortable to wear, as the shoulder straps provide good support, and distribute the weight nicely. The waist strap is a little narrow, and only extends to fit about a 40" waist, but it does help prevent the pack from sliding off.

I'm very happy with this cool looking, and very functional backpack, which I got on sale for only $40.
on September 9, 2013
I bought this bag in the seventh grade when my old north face backpack broke. I am a junior in college (about 9 YEARS) and this backpack is still holding strong. This backpack has a lot of room for most of your needs. It was able to fit a 16 in laptop, a 5 subject spiral notebook and 2 weeks worth of clothes (it was ridiculously huge afterwards, but it still fit). What I really liked was how durable it was. This thing has been thrown, crushed, scraped, and dragged through mud and rocks and still holds strong. The down side is the straps and zipper handles. Currently, after heavy use, two of the zipper clasps have been broken off. The strap on the front of the backpack has also come off. Overall a great backpack.

Pros
-durable
-lots of space

Cons
-flimsy zipper handles
on February 28, 2013
The bag is of a very good quality, and well worth the money spent. It looks and feels durable. It's a bit heavy though, even when empty.
on December 23, 2014
I've owned this backpack for over 10 years and it still in good shape! I used to take it to school every day when I was a student, I used to take it on the bus all day when I needed to run errands, I would fill it with ITEMS GALORE, it would be filled to the brim with all kinds of heavy items and sometimes I LITERALLY carried at least 40 pounds on my back, INCLUDING the weight of the backpack! This thing is HEAVY with a capital H, and it is sturdy, solidly constructed, stiched perfecty, and is made of ballistic Nylon ( pretty much the most powerful and heavy duty material you can use to make a backpack with )
Granted, I won't buy any other backpack brand other than SwissGear solely because of this backpack! I was thinking about buying a Leather backpack but then I decided against it because the price is prohibitive and thought to myself " why spend $ 500 on a backpact that, yes, will last you the rest of your life but why not just spend $50 dollars on a backpack that will last you FOREVER as well, as long as you take good care of it? " It's a no-brainer, if you want the sturdiest, toughest, most high-quality constructed backpack you can buy then go for a ballistic Nylon Swissgear backpack, and give this one a shot because of it's quality, style, ability to hold tons of items, and all-around good looks! BUY ONE, YOU'LL THANK ME LATER!
on August 10, 2014
It's perfect for air travel. It's my go-to bag for international and domestic travel. Adequate pocket space. Water bottle fits either in mesh or zipped side compartment. Comfortable on back and waist strap for added support. Fits under seat business class and economy seats, I've used in both. As a female it is worth the sacrifice of the fashionable over the shoulder bag in order to have free hands and a centered spine.
on August 1, 2013
This bag has so many pockets and places for all your items. Whether it is for small stuff, clothing or electronics it is a safe a secure way to carry your things for travel. I have not had a backpack since school but this is great to travel by.

Highly recommended
on April 30, 2016
I returned this in favor of a different model Swiss Gear bag but I really liked this bag and it was a very close call. The bag is obviously made well and with quality materials. I am pretty large (XXL or size 52 in a suit) but the shoulder strap harness like assembly is really comfortable. I wish Swiss Gear made more models with this strap assembly. The straps curve outward from a fabric connection piece at the top so there is more separation around your neck. This is very comfortable if you are large, so much so that I almost kept it over another bag that had everything else I needed but that had regular straps. The computer section is pretty well padded and held my Lenovo T520 with room to spare. There is enough extra space that I would probably add some extra cushioning on the bottom of the computer compartment to protect the bottom edge when the bag gets dropped or put down roughly. The main compartment is one large area and does not have dividers. I was looking to use it for work and need the dividers and sections to keep different files so it didn't work for me. But, like the others made by Swiss Gear that I have seen, this is a very nice, well made bag.
on August 18, 2015
I was looking for a bag that would be more accommodating and convenient than a briefcase/laptop bag during airline travel. This bag is affordable and well designed for laptops and other media, with the convenience of not being a messenger bag flopping all over the airport while I run to catch a connection. That being said, it is also versatile enough to use for non-laptop excursions. The primary reason for this flexibility is the laptop 'piece' is not an altogether separate pouch - but instead a division of the main bag. While it is accessible from a dedicated laptop zipper - the padded divider can be pushed in one direction or another (forward/backward) to make additional space. It is not attached at the bottom of the compartment. As such I've also enjoyed using it as an day pack for family outings - stuffing all kinds of things like an SLR camera, changes of clothes for the kids, snacks, phone, wallet, water bottles, etc. to great effect.
on May 13, 2016
I love this backpack! I use it when traveling as my carry on. It fits under the seat, so it isn't counted as a "chargeable" carry on (some airlines like Allegiant charge $18 for a carry on). It has so many pockets that I have no problem finding "space" to put things. And the interior middle compartment holds my 35mm Sony camera AND my hiking shoes! Then I add my ipad, chargers, glasses, snacks, headphones, and some other things that I can't remember now......but the bottom line is that this backpack works for me. Great shoulder harnesses so it is easy to carry. Love it.
on August 22, 2013
I had an Ogio backpack previously but after hard use for eight years it was time for a change. I bought the SwissGear Travel Gear 1592 Backpack after many hours of research for a good backpack and boy was I surprised at the quality and durability of the SwissGear Travel Gear 1592. I use my backpack for all my workout gear and all my other accessories for the work place. By the time it's all said and done I have a lot of gear to lug around and it has enough space for everything with more room to spare. It has a huge back pocket for your laptop and another huge pocket directly behind of the laptop pocket, there is plenty of pockets for every possible thing you can think of there is a place to put your keychain on and plenty of space for pens, pencils etc. If your looking for a backpack to use for hiking and or normal everyday use for work I would one hundred percent recommend this backpack. For the price I paid of $40.00 dollars it's more than worth it.