5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!
Published on September 7, 2010 by Green One

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Improved V-Slicer
Published on September 26, 2010 by globetrotter

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, September 7, 2010
Most of the reviews I read before I purchased my first mandoline were positive for ones that I would have to purchase on-line. I wanted a slicer within a day or two, so my first purchase was from Bed Bath and Beyond. All of the attachments were attached to the slicer and at first I thought it was neat. Then, I went to use it and realized that every time I used the slicer, all of the attachments would get dirty. I returned it without even using it. I read a LOT of reviews before I bought my second mandoline. The second slicer I purchased was from Ace Hardware. I usually wouldn't purchase something like this from Ace; however, the slicer they carry had some good reviews. I retured it after one use. The blade was so dull that it wouldn't slice through a tomato. Then I purchased the Swissmar Borner V-7000 and I am very happy with it. It is simple and easy to use. With the push of a button I can change the thickness of a slice. It has a setting where the board is pushed right up to the blade for storage so you don't get cut when shuffling the mandoline around. It is light and easy to use with rubber feet so it doesn't slide when slicing. All I have to do to use it is grab it off the counter, push the button for desired thickness and start slicing. A quick rinse as soon as I am done using it and it is clean. It is so easy to use and clean that I use it even for the smallest jobs like making a quick sandwich just for myself. I highly recommend this slicer

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick work, July 14, 2010
This slicer has been excellent in speeding up prep work. Ive used it to slice jicama, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes and strawberries. I use it to dice onions very quickly and consistently. The blades are very sharp, but thats kinda the point of a blade.

You definitely need to take care when using it, it will cut you if you disrespect it. If you are trying to slice something large and hard like a large potato or jicama, it has a tendency to jam which is a big problem. Reducing the size of the piece being sliced resolved this for me in every case, though it does mean no 6 inch fries will be coming out of it.

I do wish that it had a larger cubing blade and a larger fry blade. The strips are pretty much limited to small shoestring size. It will however slice from about 7/16 to wafer thin.

. . .

It has now been two years and I still use this slicer regularly. I have purchased two others in that same period largely to deal with the shortcomings I mentioned above, but none have done better and ultimately I return to using this slicer. It still cannot do potatoes for fries well and the largest strips are just two thin for fries or vegetable sticks, but it does so very well slicing anything not quite as hard as a potato and will even slice potatoes for au gratin or such, just not quite fries. I wont slice tomatoes, onions, or strawberries without it the results are just too good.

Oct 2013

Another year and it is still serving me well. The blades are not as sharp as the used to be, but still much more than adequate, it still slices everything very well. I have been dieting and eating a lot more vegetables lately. The slicer has been very useful in that regard. I love match-sticking carrots for my salad, so much better than the grocery match sticks, no dry white edges. The other slicers have dulled to the point they are useless, the V Slicer just continues to work. I will replace it with another when it fails or becomes too dull.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice slicer, with a couple shortcomings, September 22, 2010
Ben C.A. Nettle (The Last Frontier) - See all my reviews
Let me start with saying that this is my first mandoline ever, so it's possible that the few complaints I have may exist in other slicers as well. I looked around a lot before buying, and the other Borner slicer had amazing reviews, so I decided to go with this slightly updated version, figuring it too must be great, and for the most part was pleasantly surprised.

The slicer blade itself is VERY sharp. It makes easy work of most vegetables (and fingers if you don't use the safety holder). It has 4 settings for thickness for each insert, allowing for very thin slices, and is easily changed. The inserts allow you to do strips of either very fine or small sizes, but even the largest is a bit smaller than I prefer for fries or veggie sticks (but the ones it does make are very nice). It is quick and easy to clean, change inserts, etc., and overall does its job quite well. The color options are a nice touch, as we like to have colorful kitchen gadgets/appliances to compliment their functionality. Everything washed nicely in the dishwasher (top rack), and is very easy to pop together / apart.

The safety handle grips things quite well, but as the instructions say, make sure to cut the item to be sliced down to fit in the holder, or it is not going to be easy to use, and will catch (especially with harder to slice vegetables like the previously mentioned potatoes). One downside is that there is no rail for the handle to slide along, so it shifts a little bit with use, and if someone (read in-laws) go to use it without being careful, they can scrape up the handle by running it the wrong way (thin direction) along the inserts. If it had a rail that the handle slid along, it would make the slicing easier and alleviate this problem. I did see that the handle is sold separately though, so I could replace that if the scratches really bothered me.

The other downside (maybe) is that there is only one cutting blade which does not seem replaceable. This means that when it dulls, you'll need a new mandoline, instead of only replacing the blade. According to previous reviews of other versions though, these blades last a long time, so unless you're using this daily for extended periods, it should last you a very long time. I haven't gotten there yet, so can't say for sure

Otherwise, the blade is very sharp, cuts beautifully, the inserts have a nice storage caddy, it cleans well, looks nice, and feels like it should last a while. Even with the couple of problems, it's still a pretty good product and I'm overall happy with my purchase. It saves a LOT of prep time, and keeps me from nicking my fingers as much with a knife.

4.0 out of 5 stars ease of use, April 17, 2011
This review is from: Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline, V-7000, White (Kitchen)
The V-7000 takes a bit of getting use to. The button on the side that is suppose to lock the selected plate in, isn't very substantial and doesn't really lock it in completely. It's sort of a gimmick, if you ask me. But the slicer is good. It will slice wonderfully and fast. I had wondered if it would slice cabbage etc very thin. It definitely will do that well. It would be nice if they would make a stand or a bowl that will fit under the mandoline so that you don't have to hold it up in order to slice more than a few times (as it tends to get clogged up and jam if you don't lift it up to give it the space for the cut items). I also wish that the safety food pusher had some prongs that were closer together so that you can cut carrots that are longer narrower. It doesn't quite attach to, and hold secure the narrower carrots. You need at least 2 prongs in the carrot to attach securely. To remedy this: I hold the big end of the carrot and do my slicing (without the safety pusher) until I get down toward the fatter end. Then I attach the pusher to the carrot. Be careful, don't wait too long before you attach the pusher to the carrot. For carrots, I also don't go direct into the "V" part of the blade, as it tends to jam up more there. And I definetly hold the mandoline up so that the cut carrots don't pile up underneath and then begin to jam up while cutting. All and all, I do like it and will use it. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the older models without the "lock" button on the side.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Improved V-Slicer, September 26, 2010
Have owned 2 previous V-Slicers (Mandoline) for probably 10 years. Used one at home and another in my motorhome. They were great particularly in slicing really thin slices of tomato and onion. This newer model is adjustable, but it's difficult to change the types of blades for wide or narrow cut vegetables. Also it doesn't seem to slice as smoothly as the older model. On the plus side the blades and knob used to hold the item being sliced store very compacty. I give it three stars. Still slices better than most of the mandolines on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever, February 22, 2011
I bought my first Borner Mandoline at the county fair 30 years ago. I thought I would upgrade to a better slicer and gave the older one away. Since then I have tried 2 different brands and have been very disappointed with both. I decided to go back to the Borner and find it to be better than ever. I use it every day.

4.0 out of 5 stars good upgraded slicing options, but worse storage, October 2, 2011
My original V-slicer by the same brand served me for over 10 years. I hardly ever used the safety holder, only when I cut the balance of the vegetable, and I never cut myself (don't use me as an example, I just want to give a positive feedback for those who said this was a dangerous tool). After 10 years the plastic dried out and became more fragile. Some small parts broke off (the little ears that held the safety holder), and some razors bent a little from improper storage. I bought this one in orange as an upgrade. The way the blades drop in are fine with me - think of drop-in bobbins in the sewing machine. I like the upgraded slicing options - the fact that you can adjust thickness is awesome and relatively easy to use. What I did not like is the worse storage option. The original one had a wide and falt base that allowed the slicer to stand up on its own. This one has a separate storage case for the blades, and the square flat part is a little over 1 square inch - easy to fall. This storage case does attach to the slicer, but by a very flimsy plastic piece that will soon break, I think. Nevertheless, the pros are bigger than cons, so I'm keeping it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly, My favorite Kitchen Product, October 27, 2011
BCinDC (Sterling VA) - See all my reviews
I bought the orange version of this nearly a year ago, and I am really happy with it.

It is literally razor sharp and it slices and juliennes effortlessly; from wafer thin to about 1/4 inch. It is perfect for slicing or dicing onions, its so fast there are no tears. I use it mostly for slicing cucumbers, onions and peppers for salads, but also use it quite a bit to dice onions before sauteing, using one of the julienne cutters. When I am done, it cleans with a quick rinse in the sink (10 seconds maybe) and its done.

I believe this is true of any mandoline, but you can't safely or easily slice (length-wise) or julienne carrots - or any thing really slim - because of the danger of hitting your fingers on the blade (the food gripper doesn't work well on items that slim).

I have no trouble with any of the cutting platforms (not sure if that is the name, but that is how you adjust cutting depth) staying in place or adjusting properly.

Last, I highly recommend getting one of the kevlar cut-proof/resistant gloves. There will be times when it's easiest to hold your food with your hand and without one, any mishap and you will get a serious cut (my wife is an ER nurse and she tells me she sees a lot of folks who cut themselves with mandolines without using a glove or holder).

3.0 out of 5 stars Power? Please. Not a Pro., December 12, 2012
Andrea Koinski (Maynard, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline, V-7000, White (Kitchen)
After much mandoline research and comparison, I had decided on ordering the Borner V-Pro slicer (the model before this one) because the majority of reviewers claimed that the V-Pro was more adept at slicing tougher veggies, despite having fewer thickness settings. Thanks to a seller mix-up, I was shipped the V-Power instead. Loathe to go through the rigamarole involved in fixing the mistake, I just kept the Power, assuming that if I hated it, I'd just get the Pro later. At first, I was simply happy to have a functional mandoline. It goes through soft veggies and fruits like a breeze, the slice-depth selection is a snap, and the 'safe' setting is just plain awesome. However, the larger dice plate is too shallow to make anything but the tiniest 'fries' and, most damningly, it can't slice sweet potatoes to save its life. If you try applying more pressure to force the veggie through, the depth setting skips around (it definitely does NOT lock in) and the plate itself tends to slip out of its tiny notch. Then you get an uneven slice of sweet potato with a weird notch in the middle where apparently the blades got confused and couldn't figure out how to cut cleanly. I have also had this problem slicing beets. So pretty much anytime I want to make sweet potato fries or julienned beets, I end up wanting to throw this product against the wall. I wonder if the V-Pro would be any better. At least the Pro has removable blades that can be resharpened - the Power's are fixed and actually look like they may be serrated - could just be the way the metal's cut, but if they were at least removable I could make SURE of that. So, in a nutshell: IF YOU WANT TO SLICE ANYTHING TOUGHER THAN A CARROT, THIS IS NOT THE SLICER FOR YOU. Be forewarned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sauerkraut made easy!, April 25, 2013
I bought this about nine months ago to see if it would help reduce the time and labor for slicing cabbage to make sauerkraut. This turned out to be a good move. I've been making sauerkraut for about 2 years. The first time I used 6 heads of cabbage and sliced with a knife. I tried to slice it as fine as I could and the end result was good. About six months later, I used 14 heads of cabbage to make a larger supply of sauerkraut. Using a knife again, it took me a few hours to slice them up. Again the end results were good. Now, after using the Borner V Power Mandoline V-7000 slicer, my last batch of sauerkraut consisting of 16 heads of cabbage, turned out a lot better than good, probably great. What I discovered using this slicer is that the thinner you can slice the cabbage the better. It makes it easier to extract the liquid from the cabbage after you have added salt and smashed the cabbage down. This slicer makes it easy to make thin slices and I would estimate that it took about half the time to do the job versus me using a knife.Throw in the fact that the end results are better than with using a knife, this slicer is a slam dunk. Now what I mean by better end results is that, the cabbage fermented faster with the thinner slices and you can easily manage to pile it high on a beer brat on a bun, and that's a beautiful thing!
Why didn't I give it a 5? This mandoline slices beautifully, but I had to turn it over from time to time to unjam slices of cabbage that got stuck in the outer edges below the cutters. Now I only had to do this about one time per head, but if I hadn't had to do it at all, then we would have had the perfect slicing machine.

Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline, V-7000, White