5.0 out of 5 stars Great, as expected.
Published on April 14, 2008 by Rob S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its good and sharp, but not perfect
Its a good mandoline, it does the basic job. I still havent been able to figure out how to get the dicing right. Maybe the directions on that arent very clear or may be missing a step, but it doesnt come out right for me. The other negative is that, even with light pressure, I struggle with slicing sweet potatoes. For those reasons, it didnt meet my expectations, but it...
Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, as expected., April 14, 2008
This review is from: Swissmar Borner V-Prep Mandoline V-5000, 7 Piece Set (Kitchen)
I had the original V-slicer, but the ex-wife took it. I shopped around for a replacement, but could not find anything that really would replace my V-slicer - but this. It is almost Identical to the V, but has a slightly less sturdy frame - unless you put it on the included holder. Then, it works like the original (which gets excellent reviews) but has a place to catch the food and associated juices. The non-slip rubber pads on the holder work great, and eliminated the one problem I had with the original - that it would slide around.

If you get this, just remember that it is the speed, not the force with which you slice, that makes all the difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, November 3, 2012
I've had a couple of mandolines in the past, and my experience was that they were super cheap and didn't work at all. They were complete piles of junk, and dangerous because they didn't cut well, causing it to stick and your hand to slip.

This one slices extremely well, it's almost scary. When I first got it, I did a trial slice of a red potato. I didn't think it was working properly because there was no force needed at all. I looked down and half the potato was sliced already. When I say no force needed, I don't mean a little force, or hardly any force. I mean it felt like nothing was happening.

I got this because I recently purchased a dehydrator, and need thin, even slices of food. This definitely does the trick. It's pretty well made, has enough attachments to do any thickness I want, and has the julienne slicers at two thicknesses.

The thick straight slice is great for just about anything, and the thin slicer is paper thin. Super thin red onions are great for pizzas, sandwiches, or salads. I am pretty decent with a knife, but I can't slice this thin.

Although the manual specifically warns against it, I tried out the 'spin it 90 degrees' trick to see if it would dice, and it definitely works. Pull it back over the julienne prongs, then twist it, then go down, repeat... Perfect little cubes.

Try dicing an onion like that with the smallest julienne attachment... tiny little onion cubes, works GREAT in meatloaf.

The hand guard thing works pretty well, and normally I feel pretty confident with it.. however I was slicing bananas, and they were just too squishy to use the hand guard. I started doing it without the guard, got distracted for a split second, and almost took off the tip of my finger. Two weeks and about 12 fingertip bandages, and it still looks pretty bad.

It's pretty obvious, but this thing is sharp! If you're an easily distracted monkey like me, don't try to do bananas without the guard. I ended up buying Chef'n Bananza Banana Slicer specifically for that purpose. I'm a musician, so would prefer to keep my fingertips.

Anyway, with more solid foods (onions, potatoes, apples, whatever...) it works very well and is very secure.

The fact that it's self contained and has a tray to catch the food, with a lid, is great.

I'm super happy with this slicer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but not perfect, September 29, 2012
I recently moved into my first apartment. Well, it is still run by the University, but at least I have my own kitchen. This seemed like a good addition for when I have to slice or dice a fair amount of food stuffs - at least until my knife skills get better.

First, the pros. The blades are sharp. As long as you move in a fast, consistent motion, you might wonder if there is any resistance at all. That's been my experience with vegetables and potatoes, anyway, which is what this was made to cut. Cheese is a different matter. That is too soft and sticky. The bin catches everything easily, so there are no worries there.

Next, the stuff that takes some getting used to. The washing is generally easy, but there are a couple of support braces on the bottom that are not sell positioned, so cleaning the bottom of the main blade takes some work. Also, using the hand guard takes some practice. It is easy to push the item off the pins before it is necessary, which leads to inadequate support of the food item while cutting. That item can be pulled out of the guard while there is plenty left to cut. It is equally easy not to apply enough pressure and have the remainder of the food item inside the guard while you go through the motion but don't cut anything at all. Once you figure out the right amount of pressure, the guard provides safe operation that barely wastes anything at all.

Now for the unfortunate. When I was looking into Swissmar Borner, I saw some promotional videos (I think on their website) that showed the ability to adjust the height. This model does not have that. There are a few different inserts with different heights, but that is the extent of the possible adjustments. You can do thin slices, thick slices, thick fries, or thin fries. You can dice by cutting the item while it is still on the guard. It would be nice to be able to choose multiple thicknesses for different prep work. The other con is that you have to create your own angle. If you look at other mandolines, you will see many of them are angled, which seems more natural to me - at least in some circumstances. This item sits horizontal on top of its bin.

In all, the device is fast and easy to use. It is just missing some of the bells and whistles that I would have preferred.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent slicer - but needs a guard, September 28, 2011
I bought this slicer because of all the great reviews it had. And it is an excellent slicer. I bought this model since it had the catch container. This works perfectly with the slicer. The slicer fits into grooves on the container and with the rubber pieces on the bottom, it doesn't move at all. In fact, when I was done with it I tried to push it out of the way. Forget it. It just won't slide; which is a good thing.

I have tried it using fruit and veg's and it works beautifully. Nice uniform pieces. Used the julienne attachments and they were perfect. You do need to keep moving the produce with the holder and do NOT go too slow, especially when using the thick side. If you go to slow the produce will get hung up on the blade. Just keep it moving at a steady pace.

The one thing that does annoy me however is the absence of a blade guard. This whole unit stores in the container with a lid which is great, BUT when it is sitting around or especially after you just washed it, that blade is open and dangerous. If you are not aware, you could easily grab it out of the drain board and do some real damage. Every single model SHOULD have a blade guard to protect you. That is why I took off 1 star.

One other note - Amazon said this was in stock yet they took 3 days to ship it. Why? I have dealt with Amazon for years and have ALWAYS had great service with shipping. Another product I ordered, they did the same thing. Why waiting so long until shipping out?

5.0 out of 5 stars The finest vegetable slicer in my kitchen arsenal., February 18, 2012
I've had my v-slicer more than ten years. Maybe fifteen. Maybe twenty. I bought it from a professional demonstrator many years ago and her parting words to me after purchasing were, "Be careful. It's really sharp. Always use the handle."
I own cutting boards, all manner of great knives, a cuisinart, a bamix, a vitamix, Chef Harvey's swiss peeler/slicer, and the fabulous "eat more vej-a-table NOW" plastic slicer sold at the Orange County Swap meet for years in the 90's for $19.99 ("and one penny for me make TWENTY DOLLA!")

While I love all my kitchen gadgets, I use the V-slicer the most for slicing/dicing veggies. It's the quickest, easiest to clean, most handy to grab, and does the best overall job on veggies like carrots, celery, cucumbers, (some) tomatoes, apples, potatoes...any firm fruit or vegetable. Makes preparing a good salad easy and fun. And I've taught my young teens to use it too, so I understand that it can be awkward if one doesn't understand how it works.

Pros:
* Versatile. Offers thin & thick slicing plates, then thin & thick julienne cuts, for a total of 6 slicing options.
* Effective. The safety handle provided makes slicing the entire vegetable simple (once you understand how to use it) and makes cutting yourself during use impossible.
* Convenient. The wall-mountable, plastic storage unit keeps all cutting blades together and safely covered/protected when not in use.
* Neat. Easy to clean. Few parts to rinse off.
* Compact. Stores in a small space with all the parts in one place.
* Durable. My original Borner V-slicer has lasted for between 10 and 20 years.
* Time-tested. This design has been in use for nearly 60 years.

Cons:
* Potentially dangerous for the uneducated, dull, or smarmy cook (just like any sharp tool).
* The safety handle doesn't store compactly within the container like the rest of the parts.

In conclusion, this is a superb kitchen tool for slicing & julienning vegetables, for those willing to use it correctly. While there are certainly less effective, cheaper, safer tools out there for slicing vegetables, the v-slicer is the optimal design for generating as many controlled cuts as possible with one movement. Buy it, respect it, love it. Or satisfy yourself with something less.

5.0 out of 5 stars So darn handy!, July 30, 2012
For years I thought I wanted a salad shooter, because while I like a good salad, I hate spending the time to cut stuff up. After numerous bouts of investigating, I stumbled upon the concept of the mandoline slicer. Wow.

What a fantastic kitchen toy!!! And extremely easy to use. And very easy to clean.

I chose this one in particular because I wanted a good quality slicer that had a catch bin / storage bin. Honestly, I can't imagine why they don't all come with a bin like this. Trying to balance the cutter on the edge of a bowl does not appeal to me, nor does attempting to safely store the very sharp attachments that come with the slicer.

Forget salad...now I am making my own spring rolls and broccoli slaw. And slicing things to put on pizza. And, well, yeah, making fancy salads.

The slicer comes with a little gadget that supposedly holds the food safely while you slice it. I highly recommend getting a pair of cutting gloves to supplement the food holder because a) It doesn't always behave b) It is absolutely useless with odd shaped things like broccoli stems. The few times I've tried to use the safety holder have quickly gone downhill, and I usually end up pulling out my cutting gloves anyway.

This slicer is definitely worth the cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice features, nice price, April 2, 2013
I did a lot of search on mandolins and settled on this one because it seemed to have a lot of safety features ...and it does! The inserts give you a variety of options....I can get much thinner slices than my more expensive sZyliss "Easy Slice.". It is also more compact and easy to store and wash/

It comes with a storage box which catches your veggies after you slice them and stores the inserts when you are done. You put a piece of fruit or veggie in the the little box and go to town. You have to be very careful washing it and it takes a bit of active to figure out the optimal sizes and positioning of different things but it is well worth the time. I have been making such goorgeous salads lately. I shredded a bag of Brussels sprouts in five minutes - and there was no mess.

I use it with a cut proof glove to be extra careful. I also like how it sits over its own box so you can use it on the counter and don't have to hold it over a bowl or anything. It is nicely priced on amazon ....not the cheapest but not the most expensive. I am happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Generation User: It's As Good As Mom Says!, July 23, 2013
I grew up with the Borner. My mom picked hers up at a yard sale for a buck or two some twenty-odd years ago, and she still has it. Still loves it. Still uses it all the time.

When I finally grew up enough to need my own mandoline, my mom again sang the praises of Borner, but hers looked a little dowdy and old-fashioned. (The really old ones were kind-of almond colored with a brown case.) Plus, what did she know, right? So I scoured the market, with a spending limit up to $100. Many were prettier, almost all of them were more expensive, but few could match the positive reviews of Swissmar. Plus I knew they held up to regular use over decades. So, just like my mom, I bought a Borner. And now I see what all her fuss was about: they really are easy to clean, easy to use, easy to love.

That said, I'm glad I bought the V-5000. The box underneath does take up a little more counter space, but I can keep going without needing to reposition the mandoline like my mom always does when she slices onto a plate. Plus, I didn't want it sliding around on top of a random bowl, the way I remember hers doing when I was a girl. (This could have been more due to my inexperience than a flaw in the Borner, I really don't know.) At any rate, I'm sold on mine. But one cut when I was twelve was enough to teach me: I'll never get sloppy and forego using the vegetable-holder-thingy. So not worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arthritis in my hands!!, July 20, 2012
V. Dunn "Old movie buff" (Kansas City, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I bought my first Borner V Slicer years ago when I first starting having lot of trouble chopping and slicing because of my arthritis... I make lots of salads and salsa... slice lots of fruit for my grandkids and such... and my gosh it made my life sooo much easier and my work much faster. I used to have to stop and rest my hands to make a big bowl of salad (I like everything but the kitchen sink in my salad) and now I can zip right through it... I have gone through 3 in the last 20 years or so... and mine were really fine when I past them onto my kids, and bought myself and new one... I have tried other brands and once my husband bought me a very expensive stainless steel professional one and I didn't think it did half the job of my very favorite Borner!! I am buying a new one now because I want one in color!! You of course have to be careful because they are surgically sharp... but I have only nicked myself once... just use the guard and you simply can't beat it...My hands get worse and worse in strength but I am thrilled to be able to chop quickly and uniformly when I cook with the V slicer... You won't be sorry... the blades hold their sharpness for years... in fact I have never had one go dull... and really a very good price!! Can't wait to get the new green one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really glad I bought it, November 15, 2013
I read the reviews and had help understanding that I would need a light touch when passing my vegetables over the cutting blades. I am completely happy with this purchase. I can't tell you how much time I saved cutting carrots and onion. Use the julienne blade with a thick slice and it does onions with next to no chopping. Very handy.