5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, and many extras which are icing on the cake
Published on February 4, 2010 by D.B. Spalding

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking but will hold your iPod hostage
Published 23 months ago by Mom to Jays

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, and many extras which are icing on the cake, February 4, 2010
D.B. Spalding (Korova Multimedia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SwitchEasy SW-CLASS-UB iPod Classic 80GB, 120GB, and 160GB - 2009 Capsule Crystal Case - UltraBlack (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I've tried several cases for my 6.5G iPod Classic 160GB (2009), and this is one is one of the nicest. (Others: Incase Hard Case iPod Classic , which is a sort of rubberized wraparound that mates with a hard, clear front piece, and the Incase Snap Case for iPod Classic (both these links may be incorrect for the 2009 iPod Classics), which is a thin shield (clear in front, frosted in back).)

This has a de luxe appearance, shiny Lexan and very snug sliding fit. The Click Wheel port has a beveled edge which sort of guides your finger into the aperture -- nice touch. The openings for hold button, headphones, and dock adapter are just as nice. (The hold button opening also has this beveled edge, which makes it much easier to access than the InCase Hard Case, which makes me use my fingernail.) The sleek, shiny surface makes the normally matted iPod look like a jewel ... and the smoked color does a good job of obscuring the screen when it's dark (so I can't see the clock or battery indicator when the backlight is off). As another reviewer pointed out, the smoke color obscures the screen a little, but I believe iPods ship with the display at 50%. I had turned mind down to 35%, so turning it UP to 75% makes it quite visible. (I haven't tried in broad daylight yet.)

The case comes with two each of a Click Wheel and screen protectors, and a case back protector which I promptly removed -- it didn't cover the whole back, and a hair that got trapped underneath during installation ruined the look. If you're keeping your iPod in cases 99% of the time, who needs a back protector...? (Please, don't answer. I know how OCD some of you are.) A small microfiber cloth for pre-cleaning of the surfaces is included. You might want to moisten it with some sunglass cleaning fluid.

The kit also includes a docking port cover, a headphone adapter pigtail ... just about everything you'd need. (No lanyard or lanyard attachment. No belt clip or belt clip attachment.)

Truly the nicest extra they include is an Universal Dock adapter that fits this case (and the InCase Snap Case, too, I'd wager). Considering a SendStation Dock Extender costs you the same or more than this case, and both enable use of a dock while the iPod is still in a case, this case + dock adapter is truly a bargain.

Addendum:

I made the mistake of removing and discarding the rear shield as it didn't extend fully over the stainless back. DON'T. The sliding rear cover fits So closely that it can gently scuff the iPod's pretty shiny back (which I'm sure Apple designed to reinforce it as a "treasure" to be protected by third party products). Trust me, center the shield on the back, smooth out any bubbles, and leave it on before putting on the case. ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best (and maybe only) one for iPod Classic 7G, March 18, 2012
My faithful, old 3G iPod Classic 160GB finally died after 4+ years of continuous use. I kept it in a metal clamshell-style case which worked fine, although I had to pop the unit out to use it with docking cradles---not a big deal as it was easy to do. So, I looked for another metal case for my new 7G iPod (160GB) because while the same height and width as my old 3G, the 7G is much thinner depth-wise than the 3G Classic. My old metal case is too deep and the connections are blocked.

Unfortunately, it seems that the iPod Classic is slowly losing favor to the iPod Touch models. I get it and I like the iPod Touch, but I have a very large music collection that simply won't fit on anything smaller than the 160GB Classic. The emergence of the Touch means fewer choices for Classic cases, especially if you prefer ones made of metal as I do. As far as I can tell, there aren't any now that will fit the 6G/7G iPod as my old case did with the 3G. I avoid buying anything made of plastic if possible, but after a fair amount of research, I think SwitchEasy's Classic case is clearly the better choice of what is available (for my needs, anyway).

It's not perfect, but (for me) the pros outweigh the cons. They are:

PROS:
-Fits like a glove; design tolerances are very tight, yet it's easy to enclose the player inside the case.
-It's a very thin case, so this means I can use it with all the iPod cradles I have without taking the player out of the case (your mileage may vary). SwitchEasy even provides a cradle adapter for some cradles that need it, and it works great.
-The "hidden" screen (black model only) is slick and gives the unit a nice clean look. All you see is the touch wheel until you activate it, and then the screen "magically" appears and shines through the smoke-colored plastic well. A caveat, though: If you watch movies on your Classic, this might mute the picture a bit. I only use the Classic for music.
-Lots of extras are provided, such as clear protectors for the back, screen, and front (I guess to prevent scratches when removing from the sliding case), headphone jack adapter for headphones with larger jacks, dock adapter so you can use the player in most iPod docks, and a cleaning cloth.

CONS:
-It's made of shiny plastic. Good plastic, but seems scratch-prone and will undoubtedly show a lot of cosmetic wear in short order. I can live with this, but it'd prefer a textured, matte-type plastic. (In fact, I'd prefer an aluminum case but that's another story.)
-Similar to the previous entry, the shiny plastic is also slippery. If SwitchEasy switched to a textured case, the chance of fumbling the player would definitely decrease.
-It's overpriced. $24.00 for two pieces of plastic and a few small accessories? It should be $15.00 tops.
-Although I don't plan to insert and remove the iPod from this case much, it's fairly tricky to get it open once you lock the unit inside. If you want to remove the iPod from the case on a regular basis, I'd look elsewhere.

I can't speak to the 6G, which is supposed to be the same size as the 7G. My review pertains to the 7G ONLY.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking but will hold your iPod hostage, December 5, 2012
Mom to Jays (Stamford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This is definitely a nice looking case. Can already tell it'll will be all scratched up in no time but better the case than my iPod right? I don't know what I did wrong but the first time I put this on my iPod classic and then tried to take it off because I failed to wipe clean the inside - wow - I just could not slide the back off. I watched videos on YouTube trying to figure out how in the world I'm supposed to take the back off and nothing really helped. I had to walk away for a while because if I didn't I was surely going to just crack it off. Anyway, it finally did come off and I tested it a few times before putting it back on and long story short, it's cool.

Pros: Looks sleek even with scratches.

Cons: You'll need to raise your brightness to 100% to see it through the case. You'll need the patience of a saint (and maybe a shot or two of Jack Daniels) to take the time to get this thing off. Also, be careful not to press the back too hard when trying to remove it or it will scratch the back of your iPod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great iPod Classic case!, January 3, 2010
I really like this case--it fits my 160 GB iPod classic perfectly and is very sleek. I wanted a hard case for the extra protection, and I feel like I got the best one I could get.

The headphone opening is small, but it comes with an adapter for large headphones which should solve any issues there. The only other issue is that the dark color of the case dims the screen a little bit, but that can be fixed by turning up the screen brightness. It also scratches easily, but thats an issue with any hard case.

Great case overall and highly recommended!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great case, but lukewarm support from the manufacturer., June 23, 2013
We like this case, but after not being able to apply the front screen protector correctly, I wrote the company asking how to get a replacement (screen protector only, not the entire case). They told me in reply that they only support cases that are sold directly from their home website, and they do not support cases sold on Amazon.com and elsewhere.

From the company:

"As mentioned Before, if the item is purchased through a Non Official Re Seller, then SwitchEasy Never Supplied the Case in the first place. There are many counterfeit and knock off Cases out there. That is why we always recommend to purchase directly from our site ​to ​​ensure you will receive ​​Authentic S.E. Products, ​​our Two Year Warranty, Customer Care, and the Whole SwitchEasy Experience!"

So buyer beware, SwitchEasy will stand behind their product, but only if you buy it directly from them. My experience with other similar companies is that if you buy it from any retailer and have your receipt, you will get some level of support, so it is disappointing to learn this about SwitchEasy.

3.0 out of 5 stars To dark for daytime/outside use, September 21, 2013
This case is expensive for what it is but at least it has a scroll wheel protector and 30 pin port plug... which others don't. I like how it fits but like another review states - it will fit tight and be somewhat difficult to slide off because of surface tension/vacuum like grip. I think this is actually a good thing because micro movement in a case will cause scratches if the ipod is moving slightly inside of it. Mine was already pretty hammered before I got this case but I just wanted something to help protect from drops, adhesive or paint (being I'm an artist and I use this while working) and I can't tell if the back is better or worse but I'm betting alot better with it now. My only gripe is how black and dark it is- It might be cool to not see your screen outline but it greatly reduces any ability to use it outside and this is important so I have to give it just 3 stars for that. Your battery life will also be affected because regardless of whether it's being used in bright ambient light your brightness will have to be cranked all the way up to see what your playing. I ended up getting and using the clear case instead which is similar however doesn't slide open but it's also about one quarter the price too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected and more, March 19, 2013
The case was very easy to apply to my 160 GB classic. I was a little worried based on some of the other reviews but everything went fine. I was going on vacation and wanted something to seal and protect my iPod on the beach. There was no problem fitting the iPod into it and never had a problem with the headphones 3.5 mm plug. All controls were always accessible, no problems. This case did everything I had hoped for and more. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool looks, just that., February 22, 2013
Rudy Alvarado (Guatemala. Guatemala) - See all my reviews
This case has very cool looks, but just about that. The case is a scratch magnet and it can also seriously scratch your iPod when you install it. Also the 30 pin and audio access is very limited, you won't be able to connect different types of cables. I seriously think that the case could survive if drop your iPod. If only they could redesign it while maintaining the cool looks.

On the positive side, the case comes with screen and back protector films, a small extension audio cable (so you can plug in bigger headphone inputs) and also a cradle adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for iPod Classic 7th Gen, May 10, 2012
I'm really satisfied that this case fits like a glove on the 7th gen Classic. The search for a product like this was long and tiresome, and some products were bought thinking that they would fit the bill.

After reading some customer reviews I finally decided to buy it, and I'm amazed with the build quality, the included extras, and the level of protection offered.

In short, if you need a great case that doesnt add bulk and offers a great level of protection for your 7th gen Classic, go ahead and buy this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Will not fit 6th Gen. 160GB Classic, December 30, 2009
Although this case is billed to fit either the 80, 120, or 160GB iPod Classic, this is not entirely true. I have the 160GB 6th Generation iPod Classic, and my iPod is about 3mm too thick to fit the case. I don't know if it will fit the other 6th gen classics or not.

I expect that it would correctly fit any of the 7th generation iPod classics, as advertised, which is what I guess they mean by the (2009) in the product description. However, they should alter the description to match correct terminology (7th Generation) as used by the manufacturer, Apple.

That being said, it is a very slick looking case, and comes complete with headphone adapter if your headphone jack is too large for the hole in the case, a plug for the charger socket, screen, touchwheel, and back protectors (although the touchwheel protector is so close a fit that it is difficult to place it just right), a polishing cloth, and a docking adapter to allow you to dock in the case.

Regarding the (currently only) other review here - using the headphone adapter will fix one of his problems, and his car charger must have a rather large plug if it doesn't fit.

If you have a 7th gen iPod classic, this would be a great case to have for it.