5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect aid for a lifelong hardcore PC user
First let me set the background for this review: since my childhood, I've always been a PC guy. I grew up on Windows 3.0, 3.1, 95, NT, 2000, XP, and 7. I've worked my whole professional life in the IT field. So, in short, we're talking a decades-long intimate history of Windows on a PC.

As added background, I will confess to having done my fair share of bashing...
Published on May 15, 2012 by Paul Arking

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but mostly covers the obvious
I purchased an iMac for the first time about 9 months ago (previously used only Windows products). This product covers the basic functions you'll need to know and lists keyboard shortcuts. However, the author spends too much time praising the iMac operating system and not enough time on all the different things you'll want to know how to do - such as moving a file from...
Published 12 months ago by Spade

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect aid for a lifelong hardcore PC user, May 15, 2012
Paul Arking (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Lion Edition (Paperback)

As added background, I will confess to having done my fair share of bashing Apple and its products.

So, it was with quite a hearty share of hesitation and introspection that I took upon myself to switch to a Mac. A couple of years of exposure to an iPhone and iPad, combined with the new innovations in the recent versions of OS X (especially the move towards integrating it with iOS, as well as the unmatched beauty of the Magic Mouse) all together provided the last few straws to break the proverbial camel's back.

Naturally, as a lifelong PC guy, I was lost on a Mac. I have a good knowledge of Unix and Linux, and that was my small shred of comfort, but not nearly enough to make the transition easy enough to keep from turning back.

This book, though, was the perfect aid. I read it cover to cover, following along with my new Mac Pro, learning the intricacies of OS X Lion. In fact, by the time I was done with this book, I even had lifelong Mac users interrupting me at times with "wait--how did you do that?!" From keyboard shortcuts, to really useful tips, to step-by-step instructions, this book covers virtually everything you need to know to get up and running on a Mac. It's especially geared towards Windows users, but I can see this working equally well for any new computer user with minimal technological intuition.

I can honestly say that without this book, I'm not even all that sure if I would've had the patience to see the PC-to-Mac transition through to the end... not to mention that the transition probably took only a fraction of the time because of it.

I highly recommend this book for anyone switching from a PC to a Mac. Not only that, but having made the transition and now seeing the advantages of a Mac with OS X Lion for myself, I can also highly recommend that even the most stalwart of PC people should at least give it a fair, objective, and serious look at some point. You might just be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

(Added tip: Parallels Desktop is the final missing piece to make that transition smooth for lifelong-PC users who worry about some of their PC-only apps; I have yet to encounter a single PC-only program that doesn't work just fine with it!)

My only gripe is that there are references in this book to web-available addenda, but some of them are still listed on the site as "coming soon". The book has been out for quite a while already and if those addenda are not there yet, I can't imagine what the author is waiting for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pogue does it again! A winner, March 25, 2012
Holy cow- What a Book! The subtitle is "The book that should have been in the box". Perhaps it should have but this over 700 page wonder weights only 4 ounces less than my Mac Air. It is worth every dollar it cost and tree that had to be sacrificed to make it. I can only attack it a charter at a time but I walk away with valuable insights, tricks and a deeper understanding each time. Pogue is through and organized while not being ponderous. His wit and humor shine through. My Mac and I will be great collaborators by the time I finish this. Consider this a necessity as you make the move to Mac. I have purchased and attended Apple's One-to-One classes and find this to be equally valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indespensible, April 3, 2012
I just made the switch to a Mac and was really questioning my decision because it is so different from my old PC. When I bought this book, I was skeptical that I would be able to understand it. Nothing could be further from the truth. This book is invaluable. I also bought Mac for dummies and while it is good, this book is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning MAC is like learning a new language, September 10, 2012
I have always owned PC, but all of my PC's have come to an end the same way...bogged down with gunk, viruses and slowness. I started researching MAC and found that they don't seem to have as much problems as the PC's so I decided to jump in the deep end and purchase one.
From the moment I turned it on, I was lost. A friend of my husband's, told him about this book. I looked at it online and checked out the reviews, pretty positive.
When I received it, I was blown away in just the first chapter, HOW MUCH I LEARNED!!! It tells you all the tricks and tips, plus the functionality of every aspect of the MAC. I would be still lost if I didn't have this book.
If you are like me, brand new to MAC, this book will help you embrace the huge change from the PC. I definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and buy a Mac and this book, March 31, 2012
D. R. Schryer (Poquoson, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I first started using computers at NASA in 1958. Back then, many of my fellow scientists were content to use only slide rules and were disinterested in the new computers NASA had acquired. But I loved computers because they allowed me to solve problems which previously were insolvable. Fortunately, the world eventually woke up to the importance of computers which have been one of the most important inventions of the past century. But as computers caught on and moved to the desktop, I was disappointed with the PCs which became the standard desktop computers. Then I got my first Macintosh. In my opinion, Apple's Macintosh computers make PCs seem awkward and clumsy to use by comparison.Truly, Macintosh is the computer which changed everything -- even for PC owners who would not have Windows if the Macintosh had not paved the way. Fortunately, Macs are so user friendly that if you are a PC user who is considering switching to a Mac you don't have to buy this book. But, if you do buy it, you'll probably be glad that you did -- and you'll love your new Mac even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those who need to land on their feet running, October 13, 2012
An excellent book for those who need to be up and running quickly with Mac - great for Windows super-users who need to find out where all the advanced features are on Macs, and fast!

The writing style is conversational, rather than technical, which may annoy some readers, but I don't mind it.

I got it for a new job that I have just started and have a hundred and one new things to learn at once, as well as learning how to use a Mac. Having the Kindle version really helps, because I can quickly and easily search for what I need instead of having to flip through the whole book.

Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for those switching from a PC to a MC, August 12, 2012
Tooper "Tooper" (Titusville, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I've been using a PC for 20+ years, and have only recently decided to switch to a Mac. I was tired of the PC viruses, and the multiplicity of s/w needed to get the computer to perform the way that I wanted it to. This book has been invaluable to me as I navigate through the MacBook Pro. Since I've used a PC for so many years, operation of the Mac was not intuitive. This book has basically allowed me to become proficient with the Mac and make the successful transition from the PC. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mac Manual, October 27, 2012
Not bad, but I have Mountain Lion and this manual is for Lion. Some things have changed, so that the instructions in this manual do not work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for new Mac's user!!!, May 21, 2012
I was happy yet worry when I got my Macbook Pro. The fear of not able to use macbook in a matching way of using Windows as well as making the best out of it. I am in Chapter 5 now of this book and I must say that I am doing good and confident in using Mac. The book is amazing: clear, step by step yet not mundane. The tips section is a bonus! I believe that the experience and productivity gained from Mac computing will eventually surpass Windows and I will only buy Mac in the rest of my life. The book that should have been in the box!!! Bravo David!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great switch Over Manual, December 13, 2012
Was a MAC user in the late eighties move to PC because I had to, now back to the Mac OS. Mac is more powerful than the PC but after many years of PC applications it is hard to get the same functionality without help. this manual allows you to find the equivalent and usually better software package to do the PC functions and more!!!! Highly recommend.

Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Lion Edition
Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Lion Edition by David Pogue (Paperback - March 16, 2012)
$34.99 $19.99