4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good All-purpose Electric Sweeper For Hard Floors
Published on August 28, 2009 by Peter D. Mar

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept Needs Work
Published on August 15, 2009 by K

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good All-purpose Electric Sweeper For Hard Floors, August 28, 2009
Peter D. Mar (San Francisco California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swivel Sweeper G2 -2 Units Inlcuded!! Plus 2 Bonus Mini Sweepers! (Misc.)
The Swivel Sweeper G2 works extremely well on hard floors. It's light weight and swivel to get around tight crevices. It also does a fairly decent cleaning job right up against the wall on hard floors and even carpets. Although for carpet cleaning in the central area of the room, you're better off using a conventional vacuum cleaner for that. The reason for this, that this sweeper is not a vacuum but a power brush system that would only get the surface dust off the carpet leaving the ground in dust.

We bought this sweeper to use on hard floors prior to washing them. For that function it does extremely well, keeping the mop relatively lint free. For use on carpeting, you have to be careful that you don't cause the sweeper to flip and spilling the contents back onto the carpet. Since this kind of sweeper with no suction doesn't clean ground in dirt well on carpeting, I would not recommend it for this purpose.

Previously, we bought the original Swivel Sweeper and now the Swivel Sweeper G2. When comparing the two, they both clean equally well. The Swivel Sweeper G2 is a little bit more convenient to use because of the refinement such as easier emptying as well as the articulating handle when you need to go underneath furniture.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept Needs Work, August 15, 2009
I saw the infomercial for the G2 and as I usually do went on-line and read various reviews. The majority of the reviews were positive so that convinced me to buy the product. I was excited when it arrived and couldn't wait to test it out. I have cats and was hoping it would pick up the cat litter and pet hair without having to always drag out the big vacuum. Right off the bat, I wasn't impressed as I put it together I noticed the handle was very flimsy. According to other reviewers, this had been an issue with the original Swivel Sweeper but several reviewers had said it had been markedly improved with the G2. This is not the case, as I found out relatively quickly. It did do a decent job of sucking things up and in the beginning did well with the kitty litter and cat food on both the tile and carpet. So I thought it might do a good job on my bathroom rugs. I tried it to discover that the head of the sweeper flipped over and all of the contents went flying all over my bathroom floor. I tried to re-suck up the mess only to have the litter and food fly away from the sweeper. After two attempts at this I gave up and went the old fashioned route with the broom and dustpan. Also it left streaks of litter on the floor so I had to mop the floor to get it clean. I was also disappointed that it wouldn't go under the majority of my furniture which is one of the reasons I wanted this particular sweeper. I also found it very noisy and obnoxious sounding. While I think the Swivel Sweeper G2 is a good concept I was very disappointed with its performance and will be returning it for a refund.

2.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, but sadly have to agree that it is junk, November 20, 2009
The following is what I wrote when I first got the sweeper (go to the bottom to find out what I think about it after having it for only three months):

I cannot gush enough over this sweeper! It is awesome and has truly made my housekeeping so much easier. We have a lot of hardwood floor and tile, and I was constantly sweeping and using the dustpan and mini vacuum to clean up dust, dirt and particles and it was a total hassle and irritation (especially since I have little ones). The sweeper does the job of the broom, dustpan, and mini vac and does it much quicker and much better. It is very lightweight so that my kids can run it (and it's fun for them), the head swivels smoothly and quickly all around, it really does pick up particles from every direction, and I REALLY love that it easily slides under and all around my furniture so it picks up the dust bunnies and junky build-up that my normal vacuum never got. I love the design because it folds up in an instant, it is super easy to use, very lightweight (although I do not perceive it as being "flimsy" like some other reviewers said), and it quickly gets the job done. I even use in on the rugs and it works good. I would HIGHLY recommend this for a person who has a lot of non-carpeted surfaces and for those who have small kids that drop crumbs and other stuff on the floor and need something to do a good job for quick clean-ups. I would agree with the other reviewers that I don't think this would replace your vacuum, but it is tremendously easier to pull this off the hook and do a quick clean up in between vacuuming.

**Update: Still LOVE the product, but I just wanted to note that it has slightly scratched our hardwood floors, especially in areas where I use it a lot. I think this is a result of not wiping off the four white surface pads. I didn't realize that little bits of crumbs had stuck to them, so I have started wiping those down in between uses (not a big deal) and hopefully that will alleviate the problem.

---------------

***3 month update: It is STILL scratching our hardwood floors, so bad now that you can clearly see marks where the sweeper moves. I overlooked it for as long as I could since I loved the convenience of the product, but I can't anymore since it's gotten so bad AND because it completely stopped working yesterday! The battery was fully charged so my husband took it apart to figure out why it wouldn't run. We found out that the drive gears aren't adequately protected from dirt getting into them, and as a result it became completely bound up (wouldn't run at all) and the motor wouldn't turn. All the gear assembly is poor quality cheap plastic and one of the plastic pieces was already broken. He finagled it back together, but we know that it isn't going to last much longer. I'm sad because it really did a great job and I loved all the features. I'm shopping for another cordless sweeper/vacuum now and will go with one that has a better build quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THE G2!! DEFECTIVE PRODUCT! BRUSHES TURN THE WRONG WAY!, February 22, 2010
Answered the TV add to buy one get one free. Received 2 of them. Gave 1 to my sister-in-law. Her's works great. Mine will not pick up debris very well and never has since day 1. I end up chasing the debris all around the room. Chalked it up to marginal performing sweeper like all the competitors. Went to my sister-in-law's to look at her G2 sweeper. After comparing the 2 G2 sweepers side by side, I discovered that all 4 brush rollers on mine rotate the wrong way, therefore, just kicks that debris around the room. My sister-in-law's rotates the correct way and works great. Called customer support to get the issue resolved with mine and was turned away since I was a couple of months outside the warranty period. I tried to explain that the issue has been this way since day 1 and I just made the discovery. It's not like it was working then broke. No compassion or initiative to "do the right thing". So beware. If you buy one of these, you are rolling the dice that you might get one that was assembled backwards and is therefore useless. Hope the maker of G2 enjoy my hard earned money.

UPDATE: I fixed the issue on my own (no thanks to Ontel). The unit I received came to me wired backwards. All I needed to do was to reverse the polarity on the electric motor. Took me 5 minutes to swap the wires in the lower section of the handle and now the brushes rotate the correct way. It works like it should now...again no thanks to Ontel. They missed an easy opportunity to make me a happy customer but failed. If you buy one, immediately assemble it and test it to make sure the brushes rotate inward instead of outward so you can hopefully get better service from Ontel since it would be inside their precious warranty period. Good luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!, August 15, 2009
I bought this product for sweeping up kitty litter on vinyl floors. While the G2 does suck up some of it, most of it is blown away from the sweeper. When I was done, I noticed most of the kitty litter was blown up against the wall. Well, the advertisement says it works great on corners and edges, so I tried to sweep it up. It won't pick it up at all. I needed to pull out my vacuum cleaner to finish the job, which defeat's G2's purpose. I had some kitty litter on the carpet and it did the same thing. If you try to sweep fast (hoping to catch it before it blows away), the head of the sweeper flips over and the contents fall back out on the floor. You definitely have to sweep slow. This thing is useless to me so I'm going to return it. Of course I'm not too excited about having to lose $15 of my purchase price as a result of S&H not being reimbursed. Don't let the exciting infomercials trap you into buying this thing like it did me! What a disappointment!

2.0 out of 5 stars Swivel sweeper G2 inferior to original, August 27, 2009
I have owned 3 swivel sweepers, 2 were the original, the next was the white one with the headlight. They worked well but the brushes worn down. Then I bought a G2 red one. It was so much weaker and quieter than the others. I had to go over stuff about 4 times to pick anything up instead of once. I pulled my white one back out and am using it again. I looked at both motors inside and they have the same specs. I have found a new original on ebay and have ordered it. I never used the bending handle on the G2. The push button to empty bin was nice though. I don't know if mine was defective or that's just the way the G2 is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe everything you see (on infomercials!!), November 15, 2009
Having three cats, I thought this looked great on tv, so I ordered it right away. I am so disappointed. Most of my complaints have been mentioned in other reviews. The handle is pretty flimsy and only screws together, a couple times its come loose and I've just had to spin it a few times to get it back in. The plastic cover on one of my sweepers fell off as soon as I took it out of the box and it keeps falling off every time I use it! I wanted this for cat hair and it seems to blow it away instead of picking it up. I see little dustballs and hair go flying when I turn it on. The dirt cup seems to come open as soon as I pick up the sweeper, so it all just goes on the floor again. The informercial also showed how it could be used on carpet, I knew it wouldn't compete with a vacuum, but thought it might be nice for smaller messes, like crumbs from my 4 year old, but nope, barely works at all on carpet. Just stay away from this! Use a broom or vacuum because this sweeper hasn't done anything it's promised!

4.0 out of 5 stars Swivel sweeper makes life a little easier!, September 30, 2009
I have an active six month old, a hyper active parson russell terrier and a husband who loves to spend time in his garden. Needless to say I am constantly sweeping and/or vacuuming throughout my day to pick up an endless amount of leaves, debris, dog hair and whatever else may find its way into our living areas. The G2 does an excellent job of picking up debris between my routine vacuumings (no more vacuuming 5 times day!). I love that I dont have to lug out my clunky Bissel or mess with the broom & dustpan during the day. It is very convenient, much quieter than a vacuum and empties easily. The only cons I can see so far with the G2 is that dust accumulates all over the base and head, and my long hair gets wrapped up around the brushes and gears. It should really be wiped down once a day and the brush tool works great at removing my tangled up hair from the brushes. The pro's DEFINITELY outway the cons. If this one ever breaks, I will definitely be purchasing a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great in Kitchen/Living Room, October 8, 2009
at910 (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I've been using the G2 for quite a while now and never had a problem with it picking up random messes left in my kitchen or living room. In the kitchen, it has picked up cereal, dry dog food, random cooking ingredients and whatever else lands down there. I started using it in my living room to get under couches with the bendable handle to pick up peanuts and and pieces of chips left behind from guests. When it gets full or stops picking up stuff, I empty it and it works just fine again. It does what it's supposed to do for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for what I need it for, September 25, 2009
Emily V. Reilly "aeglos" (Maize, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
This is not a vacuum, it will not suck up stuff and will certainly not replace a vacuum. It's good for small everyday pick ups. For me it worked fairly well at picking up cat litter on vinyl floor. It also picks up dog/cat hair that I didn't know was there before and stores away nicely in a closet. I even took it to work to see if it would pick up glitter, and it did it better than the broom. The only problem I have is that dirt sticks to the outside of the unit and has to be wiped off (at least it picked it up).

ARRAY(0x95251a14)