4.0 out of 5 stars A good translation of the written short story
I'm a big fan of George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series of books - the novels (at least, up to A Storm of Swords) have been uniformly superb. A Feast for Crows is in my opinion weaker, but still a worthy entry in the saga.

Published on March 11, 2010 by ThrawnZA

3.0 out of 5 stars A pretty weak & disappointing sequel
Published on November 13, 2012 by Michael K. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars A good translation of the written short story, March 11, 2010

That said, Martin's two short stories - Tales of Dunk and Egg - are brilliantly written and thoroughly enjoyable romps through Westeros. The plotting isn't as Machiavellian, owing to the slow pace, but it's a vastly entertaining window into the world of A Song of Ice and Fire, and is a good primer to get someone who is unfamiliar to the books an idea of how the world works (although they may be slightly lost amidst the backstory.)

The Sword Sword is the second Tale of Dunk and Egg, and arguably contains more of the signature scheming, plotting and carefully paced reveals of the main novels. However, I enjoyed The Hedge Knight (the first short story) more, if only because I enjoy the entire tourney 'scene' in Westeros, and Martin writes it exceptionally well.

Even though this is the short story presented in graphic novel format, I believe there is no real loss of the detail or depth when compared to the written version. In fact, certain scenes benefit from the graphical medium.

The art is uniformly well done and serves the story well.

All in all, a must have for fans of A Song of Ice and Fire - especially if you like graphic novels!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a *Graphic* Novel, February 23, 2010
I ordered both of the Hedge Knight graphic novels thinking they were actual novels, so I was quite surprised when I opened up my Amazon package to find comics/graphic novels instead. It may have been mentioned somewhere, but I didn't see any description to that effect, so I didn't realize it.

Luckily, my husband (who I bought them for) is a fan of graphic novels in addition to being a fan of the author. So, it turned out to be OK.

I just wanted to say for anyone not already aware, these are GRAPHIC novels. :)

Husband enjoyed them, and is looking forward to the third installment (if it ever gets published...) :P

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Graphic Novel, May 6, 2011
I have never read the RR Martin books yet still enjoyed this graphic novel. Clearly, I would have enjoyed the depth more if I had previous knowledge of the Fire and Ice names and characters as well. But as such, it is a straightforward story with a few surprises and a good set of characters.

Whether you are a fan of the Fire and Ice novels or not, this graphic novel is a good read. The artwork is clean and easy to follow and the story moves at a good pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., February 19, 2010
Great art, great story. I hope there is more to come. Anyone who enjoys the Song of Fire and Ice series of novels should pick these up.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story continuation, November 18, 2008
This review is from: Sworn Sword (Hedge Knight II) (v. 2) (Hardcover)
Most of the time, when you see a number in the title of a book indicating that it is a sequel, you know it will be bad. This time is different. Hedge Knight II continues the story of Dunk the Hedge Knight and his squire Egg, in the same tradition as the first. Dunk is a good hearted man of honor who is treated with contempt due to his status. He holds firm to the values that he was taught, while he has every incentive not to. If you like the Dunk and Egg characters, this is a winner. If you don't, you won't like this one either.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pretty weak & disappointing sequel, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Sworn Sword (Hedge Knight II) (v. 2) (Hardcover)
This sequel to _The Hedge Knight_ (2008) was also adapted by Ben Avery and drawn by Mike Miller, but I didn't find it to be nearly as good as the first book. It's a year and a half after the events we witnessed there and young Dunk (who keeps trying, not very successfully, to get people to call him "Ser Duncan the Tall"), accompanied by his squire, Egg (who is a good deal more than he seems) has taken service with the elderly Ser Eustace. The old man lives in the glory days of the past and he has ongoing territorial issues with the "Red Widow" of the next fief over. There's a drought on, and water is being stolen, and a peasant worker gets his face slashed by an arrogant and bullying knight, and now it looks like a good deal more blood is about to be shed to no good purpose. Dunk would like to try to prevent that, so off he goes -- and discovers that various people have been lying to him. But he always tries hard to live up to his own vision of what a knight's honor ought to be, and this time that's going to put him in danger.

It's not a bad story as such, but there's so much extraneous narration, so many dozens of offstage characters who never become more than names -- even if you've recently read the first volume -- that you're likely to wonder if you've missed something. It's almost as if this were the third volume in a series, not the second, and that the middle volume was never published -- maybe never written. If you *bleep* over that half of the book, the remaining half makes a passably interesting episode, and that's about all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as the First, August 20, 2008
M. W. Harris (APO AP United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sworn Sword (Hedge Knight II) (v. 2) (Hardcover)
While I'm a huge fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series from GRRM (which the first Hedge Knight graphic novel (The Hedge Knight - Second Edition [Graphic Novel) turned me on to), I was left somewhat disappointed in Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword. I wasn't disappointed in GRRM's story, which makes me want to reread the entire series again to see if I can find the characters in HK2SS mentioned somewhere in the series so I can put them in the correct perspective. Very entertaining story line and I look forward to its continuation. My problem is with Marvel's graphic treatment of the story. I don't know anything about the theory or rules for creating a coherent story line in a graphic novel, but I don't believe those rules were adhered to in this book. On several occasions I found myself sure I had turned two pages instead of one because the continuity from one page to the next was so fractured. This also happened between panels on the same page, but of course in those cases there was no doubt that something the author intended to show was poorly illustrated by the artist (no page turning involved). I also found the way Dunk's thoughts were portrayed (usually at the bottom of the panels and in very small letters) as difficult to read (in general) and difficult to fit into their proper place in the stream of interactions with other characters (in many cases). All in all, I think it was an example of poor editing and/or editorial direction on the part of Marvel combined with perhaps inexperienced artist(s) and letterer (oh, and there were several words misspelled which again, I think, supports my conclusion). Overall, this book has the feel of something Marvel wanted to bring to press quickly and with a minimum of effort. The artwork itself is not bad (and in some cases it's gorgeous), but, again, I think some rules weren't followed for continuity purposes.

One thing I want to point out for those who read the first Hedge Knight graphic novel (The Hedge Knight - Second Edition [Graphic Novel): if you'll recall at the end of it, after the pages showing the heraldry of the various houses and people, there was a short story of a battle recounted to Dunk and Egg by some old guy. I couldn't figure out why it was there. Well, turns out this is embedded pretty much unaltered in HK2SS, and you find out the "old guy" is Sir Eustace, the person Sir Duncan has "sworn" his "sword" to, ala the title. Still not sure why they put it in the first graphic novel, but it's nice to see where it fits into the overall story. Maybe it was just a teaser.

Bottom line: I would recommend this only to those with a "thing" for complete collections, or for those want really want to see what the characters look like. Otherwise, I recommend you purchase the book-version of the story (a short story by GRRM which can be found in Legends II: Dragon, Sword, and King.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great continuation of "The Hedge Knight", beautiful illustrations, must-read for the Game of Thrones fans..., September 29, 2013
This review is from: Sworn Sword (Hedge Knight II) (v. 2) (Hardcover)
"Sworn Sword" is a sequel to "The Hedge Knight", a comic book/graphic adaptation of George R. R. Martin novel that bears the same name.
Reading both books, reader will be introduced to the magic world that was beautifully portrayed in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series.

"Sworn Sword" is continuation of the previous book about events that happened almost hundred years before the events pictured in Martin's famous book - "A Game of Thrones".

After Lord Ashford's great tourney, Sir Duncan the Tall, a hedge knight seeking for fame and fortune and his unusual boy squire, Egg will travel the land in search of the puppeteer girl named Tanselle. They will enter the service of Ser Eustace, an older knight and Dunk will have lot of troubles with one of the others Ser Eustace's knights. When this knight will attack a peasant and provoke conflict with Lady Rohanne Webber, some unpleasant truths from the past about Ser Eustace will emerge...

This graphic novel published by the Marvel Enterprises comes in same nice hardcover version like the previous one and was beautifully illustrated by Mike S. Miller. Due to the nice pictures it wouldn't be strange that reader after she/he quickly read the book for the first time, when will read it for the next time spend a lot of time in front of each picture, enjoying the sight of the countless details.

The same drawback as I said for the previous one, mainly for those readers unfamiliar with George R. R. Martin work is level of details related to characters names, houses, their relationships and events from the past. For someone who would just like to enjoy reading a comic book it would probably be frustrating to see how many characters and relationships between them are present. Due to that same suggestion for publisher remains, it would be great to have in third installment as an appendix inclusion of the family tree to be able to keep track of all of the characters.

"Sworn Sword" is another must-read for the Game of Thrones fans, as well for all those who like comic books due to excellent illustrations and story that can be found within.

Although the majority of fans are already familiar with events that preceded Game of Thrones events, for those who aren't these two books and I hope some other that will be published will be great add-on for all of us, loyal fans.

Due to all above-mentioned, I can fully recommend this comic book and I hope that we won't be waiting for its sequel for too long...

4.0 out of 5 stars Hedge Knight, September 18, 2011
R. Masek (Lillian, AL USA) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book, even in the comic book genre. I found it easy to follow as I have read all the King of Thrones series, even the last book #5 Dance of the Dragons. Would recomnend to all Fantasy readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 3, 2009
This review is from: Sworn Sword (Hedge Knight II) (v. 2) (Hardcover)
This was a great follow up to the first, and something that partially slaked my thirst for Westeros while waiting for A Dance With Dragons. A great Martin story, filled with all those "shades of gray" that he is so good a portraying.

Sworn Sword (Hedge Knight II) (v. 2)
Sworn Sword (Hedge Knight II) (v. 2) by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - June 18, 2008)
Used & New from: $74.37