Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Size: 3-port|Style Name: SD-PEX30009|Change

on February 11, 2012
I purchased this FireWire board with the intent of video capture and attaching some older firewire devices to my new gaming computer.

I'm running the ASUS Rampage IV, Intel i7 3960X and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with a number of additional graphical/hardware components etc.

When I picked up my newly built computer the first thing I did was install the FireWire card and boot the system. The next thing I did was install the drivers with the included CD. Unfortunately upon re-booting my system I was met with a blue screen of death. After investigating the crash dump and researching this on the internet I came to the conclusion the drivers were preventing the system from successfully booting and could not be fully wiped from the page file or system registry. Unfortunately even using a system restore point failed to prevent the blue screen from re-appearing. I even attempted removing the hardware from the motherboard and doing a partial system restore that again would lead to a blue screen after a shutdown and re-start.

I had to subsequently wipe the HD and do a fresh windows install (thank goodness it was a new build with nothing installed). After re-installing windows and installing all the windows updates as well as all the associated Asus/Nvidia/Intel and LG drivers, I cautiously pushed the FireWire chipset back into the PCIe slot and booted windows. Presto, the hardware was found and windows loaded all the necessary drivers.

I tested the connection speed and was able to get the near full advertised 800mbps.

The conclusion? The drivers that come loaded on the included CD have the option of replacing the windows drivers and seem to cause system failures and instability. These drivers seem unnecessary as the built in windows drivers work perfectly. So don't install anything from the included CD, just make sure windows is up to date, install the hardware and let windows automatically install the correct drivers.

I've been using the FireWire chipset now for 3 weeks capturing XMF/HDV/DV files from various professional (Sony PDW-700 / Canon XH-A1) and consumer grade cameras with no issues at all.

Good product, just stay away from the included CD.
VINE VOICEon April 14, 2010
Let's face it, Firewire is a moving target and an iffy communications channel at best. I sometimes think there is a little gnome down inside Firewire cards and drivers that just looks for opportunities to cause problems.

I chose this card because it uses the TI chipset, which has the reputation of being more versatile than NEC, VIA or others. I inserted it in an older homebuilt PC and it ran perfectly on Win XP without any burps or hiccups. I have used it with both a camera and a software-defined radio without any difficulties whatsoever. It comes with both standard-length and a low profile brackets, easily changeable with two small screws.

Note that this is a PCI-Express card and will only run in an Express lot. Syba sells regular PCI cards if that is what you need.

Recommended.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2010
I have a dual operating system computer, with XP Pro 32bit and Windows 7 64bit. The previously used StarTech card in Firewire 800 mode was slower than USB 2 with both operating systems. The Syba card transfers data between 60-80 Mb/sec to my Seagate GoFlex auxiliary drives with both operating systems. For comparison, USB 2 is around 30 Mb/sec. It is refreshing to see, that some product actually deliver what's written in its specs.
on March 20, 2012
I purchased this to use with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit to interface my MOTU Audio Express. Installation took about a minute and Windows immediately recognized and installed drivers. The Unibrain drivers that came with the card caused the blue screen of death and I didn't press the issue to try and make them work. So far the Windows drivers seem to be just fine. For the average user who need to add pcie firewire connectivity I would highly recommend. For the pro-audio user, it is by far the least expensive solution with a TI Chipset. If I run into any issues with the Windows drivers I will update.
on June 13, 2011
This is exactly what I needed to transfer video from my DV camera to the PC. The only real problem I had was with the software. The little itty bitty CD that came in the box would not work in my DVD drive. I went to the website to get the driver but it did not work. It took me a few days to find one that would. I have no idea where it finally came from but it is a "Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller". It works great now.
HP desktop with Win 7 64.
on July 25, 2012
After tests that have been around one half of a year, UAD and I have discovered that this Syba card has caused the hundreds of firewire interruptions and errors that I have had since purchasing it for the UAD Apollo. It may be fine for a hard drive that is not used in a professional setting, but it is not a good card for stable usage with profession equipment. It has been discovered that some cards are usable and some are not, therefore the consistency of this product is not there at all. I did tests for so long that I couldn't return the card, so this review is for helping people to find the right card for their pro audio equipment.
55 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2010
Since there are so few reviews for this card I figured I'd chime in.
The packing of this card sucked. Just a plain box with a small manual, cd, larger bracket, and pcie card poorly packaged together.
But I don't buy products for their packaging, and when I put this in my Mac it just worked.
Now I actually have 2 Firewire 800 ports and 1 more Firewire 400. Great speeds, transfer test I did had a sustained 80MB/sec on the firewire 800, which is pretty close to the max of 100 MB/sec.

I didnt even use the manual or cd, but i did change to the larger bracket on the card (since it came installed with a small one on) to fit inside my computer properly.

In conclusion, Good card, poor packaging.
on September 14, 2011
I just purchased a UAD-2 SATELLITE DUO for a recording project. The Sattlite runs FW 800. I hooked it up to my Mac Pro 2.66gHz duo core (early model)
To find out that the MacPro is using the same bus for FW 800/400 and USB so no luck running the UAD-2 at full FW 800 speed as the mac will throttle the FW speed to 400. So to put the Satellite Duo on it's own FW800 bus, I purchased this card.

First thing to do before inserting the card in the mac is to swap the front plate of the card from the small one that's attached to the card with the larger one supplied.

Then normal procedure for installing in the Mac Pro - was a little hard to get the cards front plate to sit in the groove, so I slightly bend the "toungue" on the front plate forward - away from the card. Then it just sat perfectly in the slot.

Rebooted the mac and all systems worked as expected. Attached the Satellite Duo to one of the FW800 ports on the card and the UAD-2 control panel now show the satellite running a full FW speed.
on May 14, 2013
Threw this Syba card in a new PC rig and the card was recognized and driver installed properly by Windows 7 Pro x64. After that, nothing worked. I plugged in 4 different FireWire drives - some formatted NTFS, some formatted HFS (I have MacDrive 9 Standard installed) - and none of them were recognized by Windows. Not that they were detected and had to be initialized - I mean they didn't mount at all, they were never detected by Windows or Disk Management. I reseated the Syba card to a different PCI-E slot to no success. Also tried a variety of FireWire cables (both 400 and 800) to no avail. While this card seems like it should have done the trick, it was completely useless. In case you think I am unnecessarily bashing this card, here's my build: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Intel Core i5-3570K, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz, MSI GTX 660 OC, EVGA SuperNova 650W, Windows 7 Pro x64. Nothing cracked, everything legit. This card did not work with any external FireWire drive.
on December 16, 2011
I read a lot of reviews about add-on firewire cards. Get one with a TI Chipset and avoid the hassles. This one works great with my Sony Camcorder.
Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit