5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Durable Made in U.S.A. bulbs
These bulbs are excellent! Buy 130v instead of 120v and they will last longer as little electrical spikes won't blow them. Also, they are made in the United States. Most bulbs are coming from China these days. Let's support domestic manufacturing.
Published on September 30, 2010 by G. Palmos

1.0 out of 5 stars Gross manufacturing defects; almost 1/2 DOA
I ordered a package of 24 60W Sylvania bulbs, despite the many reviews suggesting a quality control problem.

Published on May 24, 2011 by John H. Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Durable Made in U.S.A. bulbs, September 30, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars SOON BANNED GET NOW FOR HEAT SOURCE!, December 9, 2013
The Feds have now banned the manufacture of these bulbs for "energy" reasons, not realizing that many of us with cold winters use them as heat sources for our pumps, wells, chickens and many other purposes. The folks who make these rules are truly city folk! I've had both Phillips and GE and GE was about the same life (about a year), whereas Phillips was much shorter. They do vary by batch. I put these on a digital timer also available here at Amazon to save power (eg: Woods 50007 Indoor Digital Lamp Timer, Daily Settings, 2-Pack).

I'd stock up on these at this great price if you have any need for winter warmth. The alternative is heat lamps which cost a fortune, use a lot more electricity, and are a fire hazard! No one in Congress thought of that I guess!!

Great investment, get a bunch now and resell or share in a couple years when they are either a fortune or gone with the buggy whip.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gross manufacturing defects; almost 1/2 DOA, May 24, 2011

Unfortunately, those reviews are accurate. The bulbs arrived totally intact (no broken glass), and the package was in perfect shape. Thus, I don't think there was a problem in packaging. However, because of the reviews, I tested each of the 24 bulbs. 10 of the 24 -- almost 1/2 of all the bulbs -- were defective. I could see the filaments inside were detached. In addition, each bulb had a different amount of frosted coating, and in many cases the coating was non-uniform.

So, bottom line, these bulbs are junk, the product of incompetent manufacturing practices. Under no circumstances should you waste your time ordering these. I am returning mine for a refund, and will purchase light bulbs instead at 1000bulbs.com, bulbster.com, or bulbs.com, all of which I have used before, and none of which has shipped even one bad bulb. I don't blame Amazon for this, but I will blame them if they continue to sell such an obviously substandard product.

[Edit]The day I wrote this review, I returned all these defective bulbs, and Amazon promptly refunded my purchase. Thank you Amazon! I then ordered several dozen bulbs from "bulbs.com". This new order included not only 24 incandescent bulbs, but also many, many other bulbs. I tested all sixty bulbs when they arrived an every single one tested OK. So, instead of 10 out of 24 defective units, I had 0 out of 60. This improvement was due to the fact that bulbs.com shipped quality product, and also to the fact that they did the most unbelievably wonderful job of packing that I've ever seen. My kids had a science project in eight grade where they had to design packing that would let them drop an egg from two stories up onto a concrete sidewalk, and not have the egg break. The folks at bulbs.com would have easily won that competition. So, if you can get things from bulbs.com through Amazon, then order your bulbs there. If not, just go to their site and order from them directly.

[Edit #2]
December 19, 2013.

I have recently received several nasty comments on my review above. The people leaving these comments claim that I am working for bulbs.com because I mention that I eventually purchased A19 bulbs at that site and was happy with the product. You can look at my other reviews and should be able to tell that I am just another Amazon customer because I have reviewed many dozens of products and almost none of them are available at bulbs.com.

Also, please note the date on my review. I wrote it in 2011. If you look at other reviews done around the same time as mine, you will find that many other customers were reporting serious quality control problems. More recent reviews seem to be more positive, so it is possible that the product has been changed, or the source of supply is different.

So please don't accuse me of being dishonest. I do not represent any company or site, and have no hidden agenda. I simply reported, accurately, on my experience with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy @ 50 cents per bulb!, November 12, 2011
I ordered these on 11-9-10 and received them on 11-11 packed well both by Amazon and Sylvania. Thinking of the numerous reviews which said so many of this 24 pack didn't work I tested each from the 24 pack. Each one did work but I have the following notes. It took me the the first ten to realize that the threads are further apart on these bulbs than most other light bulbs of this type making it more difficult to screw them into a light fixture. Also, I found that if these bulbs are screwed into too tightly they will not light either. Initially I didn't think the first ten lit but after I realized the difference in the threads, retried carefully screwing each one in and they worked along with the other fourteen. I would recommend these bulbs to family, friends and YOU.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but the best alternative that I found, April 21, 2012
Higher electric bills, the impending ban on incandescent light bulbs and mercury in compact fluorescent bulbs started me to experiment with newer LED replacement bulbs. I wanted to use one that requires only 13 watts to provide light equivalent to a 100-watt bulb in a few bathroom ceiling fixtures. Unfortunately, they are connected to a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) in my home's main incoming electrical panel. GFIs apparently are not compatible with LED bulbs since my breaker flipped when I tried to turn on the light. I assume that this was due to built-in cooling fans and rectifiers that enable LEDs in the bulb to work with standard electrical power. Until something better comes along, I have no choice but to use standard 60-watt incandescent bulbs, the maximum allowed in the fixtures, or rewire the bathroom.

Compared to the price of a LED replacement bulb, 24 Sylvania bulbs from Amazon seemed cheap until I factor in the higher power consumption of old technology. My only hesitation was caused by reviews from other customers about bad bulbs from Sylvania or damage in shipment. I decided to take a chance, but inspect all the bulbs when I received them. This is what I did when they came yesterday (4/20/2012). The bulbs were well packed by Amazon and UPS appeared to have handled them with reasonable care. The carton contained six packages of four bulbs. Everything was fine until I got to the second bulb in the sixth package. It was the only bad one out of the 24 bulbs.

I have found bad bulbs in packages from Sylvania before. Their bulbs are lighter and less durable than those from other manufacturers that charge considerably more. I believe that they are adequate to meet my needs and that I picked the best alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stocking up on light bulbs, April 11, 2011
Jessicathecat "Jessicathecat" (cincinnati, oh United States) - See all my reviews
Since the government has outlawed the bulbs I need, I am stocking up a little.

These came promptly, were well packed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I see the light..., May 9, 2008
This review is from: Sylvania 11011 40-Watt 130-Volt A19 Household Bulb, 24 Pack # 40A CVP, 24PK (Tools & Home Improvement)
what can you say, their light bulbs. I got this for the place were i work. So far all the light bulbs that have been used work.

1.0 out of 5 stars 8 out of the first 12 were bad, January 19, 2011
The package arrived in good physical condition. It appears to have been well packaged. Since we ordered 4 dozen of these, we decided to try a few. Eight out of the first twelve were dead on arrival! We have a few lights for which the compact fluorescent bulbs simply will not work. We were hoping to stock up for a while. Now it looks pretty grim. We'll keep the grocery stores' shelves cleaned out, but we will test everything we buy and not just put it up on a shelf thinking that because it appears to be okay it will work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to avoid mercury new florescent bulbs, October 3, 2013
I'm stocking up on these. We turn off all of our house lights when not in use. Florescents won't last as long as these unless you leave them on... I have too many dead florescent ones sitting around waiting for a separate trip to the toxic waste dump (they contain mercury)... not sure how that saves energy or reduces polution???

5.0 out of 5 stars Work fine, January 11, 2013
The Old Man (Los Gatos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Instead of buying 2-4 bulbs at a time, buy this pack. It will be less expensive, less hassle, and you are more likely to always have a bulb available. Consider buying a few extra packs as the incandescent bulb ban idiocy works its way down the wattage scale.