5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality
Published on August 24, 2008 by Great Faulkner's Ghost

2.0 out of 5 stars Burnout
Published on May 22, 2009 by Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, August 24, 2008
This review is from: Sylvania 29490 23-watt CFL Twist Light Bulb, Soft White, 6 Pack (Tools & Home Improvement)
I compared these directly with the GE 23 watt model and would say that they are pretty much equal. Thus, I would go for whichever brand is on sale at a lower price. These fit readily into standard lamp sockets and turn on quickly. Note: it is not recommended to use any cfl bulb outdoors where exposed directly to water or to a lot of water or dampness. However, I've been using mine outside in a covered light fixture with no problem..

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and bright but slow to start, July 14, 2008
These 23 Watt bulbs really are just as bright as a 100 Watt incandescent bulb, but have a slightly more bluish cast (cooler temperature) than incandescents. Some of the bulbs come on immediately at full brightness; others sometimes take up to a minute to come to full brightness, even when the starting temperatures are exactly the same.
I'm happy with them, but the downside is that the cooler light gives the house an "office building" feeling, as my wife put it. But hopefully worth it when the next electricity bill comes around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright light lower wattage, June 11, 2008
Betsy Blueberry (Douglas, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I hesitated in purchasing this because I didn't think it would actually fit in my old fixtures but it did. Not only did it fit but gives a nice warm bright light instant on and saves me over 250 watts in my kitchen. I replaced my old bulbs with these and lower my electrical bill considerably.

4.0 out of 5 stars Energy Efficient Lighting, January 18, 2009
Joseph Boone (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (2008 HOLIDAY TEAM)    (REAL NAME)
When I first saw these compact fluorescent bulbs, I was skeptical that they would emit enough light to truly be the equivalent of the incandescent bulbs they would replace. In reality, this bulb will truly put out enough light that you'll never know the difference and do so while using roughly ¼ the power. The other concern I had was that the color of the light might be too blue or look off somehow but that hasn't been a problem either.

There are, however, a few things to be aware of when purchasing a bulb of this type. First, the bulb does need a few seconds to warm up when you turn it on. It won't just flash on at full brilliance the instant you flip the switch the way traditional bulbs do. Second, these bulbs won't last nearly as long if you turn them on and off all the time. If you have a bulb that you normally leave on for just a short time before turning it off, then you may want to hold off on replacing it with a CFL. You won't save much electricity if it isn't on much and the cost of replacement bulbs is high enough that it will never pay for itself.

These bulbs are ideal for a variety of uses from porch lights to a lamp in any room that you occupy for hours at a time. They'll cut your energy costs and perhaps ease our use of fossil fuels just a bit at the same time. In high use areas, they'll more than pay for themselves over the life of the bulb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement over GE, August 18, 2008
I love CFL technology and these are the best bulbs I have seen. I have been replacing incandescent bulbs as they burn out with cfl bulbs. I just installed these bulbs yesterday and I can already tell an improvement as compared to cfls purchased a couple of years ago. In one room I have double lighting fixtures. There was such a difference in light power and color (these are very white) that I had to remove the old cfl and replace so it would be balanced. The warm up time on these is also very improved. In previous models there was a little delay between flipping the switch and the light coming on. Not so in this model, I would venture to say that it could compete with incandescents in warm up time. I am not one to write reviews, in fact this is my first. Just goes to show how impressed I was with this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Burnout, May 22, 2009
My experience with this Sylvania CFL has been quite poor. Of the 3 bulbs I have purchased, one failed within a month, one failed within less than a year (BTW an incandescent installed in a tandem lamp prior to the CFL is still working) and the third is still working. These bulbs have been used, on average, about 4 hours a day. When they work the 23 watt bulb produces good light. However, as energy efficient as they may be, in my opinion they are not reliable and as a result probably not cost efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm Glowing Light From a CFL That is Not Super-Sized (EPA Clean Up Links), December 21, 2012
I'm am delighted I finally found additional WARM cfl bulbs. These Sylvania bulbs in various watts (I have 13, 20 and 23 wattages), are exactly what I was looking for. The light is the beautiful soft, warm, yellow-hue light that makes you feel cozy. It is not the garish white or blue-tinged light that many associate with cfl bulbs; and that I had usually only found until recently.

I purchased several lamps at Macys a few months ago. All of them came with 23 watt cfl bulbs from MaxLight. One of the lamps in my bedroom is a three-way bulb 23 watt cfl from MaxLight. I appreciated the warm yellow light and was pleased that it was not harsh, like most cfl bulbs from my previous lamps and bulbs. When my second bedroom lemp arrived it didn't have a bulb, although it was the same lamp from Macy's. No worries. I went to but a MaxLight bulb only to find that they were not available in Orange County. I used a 23 watt cfl bulb that we already had. Yeesh!! Every time my husband turns that light on, it is like the whitish/blue Bat Signal eminating from our bedroom. Bright - yes.

Well, after months of putting up with this I decided to change all of the bright cfl and non-cfl bulbs to Sylvania's mini marvels. I have to admit that I was a bit ignorant why I couldn't find bulbs of the color light I wanted before. I did my research and below are my findings and why I love this bulb.

~Perfect mood lighting for indoors. Warm and cozy.
~At the equvalent of 100 watts, it is bright enought to read with. You may find that you want 20 watts or even 13 watts for real accent lights or bedside lamps that will not be used for reading.
~I have 23 watts in a lamp on my husband's side of the bed. It is perfect. I have 20 watts in the bedside lamp in my guest room. The light output is quite similar.
~The "mini" size is a great fit even in older lamps. This is the size of a traditional lightbulb. This is not a chandelier-size bulb.
*This bulb's light output is 2700K. K is Kelvin for the temperature value. In this range the light is yellow color. Why do we love yellowish light so much, you might ask? Probably because it is reminiscent of candlelight and the glow of a nice fire. It is the prefered lighting that directors and photographers use for staging indoor scenes. It is homey and comfortable.
*The higher the number in Kelvin the bluer the light.
*Afternoon sunlight in most inhabited regions is about 6500K. This will be pretty stark whitish light with a blue undertone.
*Bright white bulbs (cfl and traditional) are usually about 4100K.
*8000K is probably the highest commercial Kelvin bulb you can purchase. I would wear sunglasses.
*Not all manufactures note the Kelvin on the packaging. Refer to the description such as "warm" meaning closer to 2700K, "bright" between 3500K and 4500K, and daylight being 5000K and higher.
*Lumen refers to the brightness. A single candle is one lumen. FYI: Candlelight is 2000K.
*I posted a picture demonstrating the difference between three different Kelvin representations. It is from Planet Bulb.

I read a few reviews from others who have had concerns about the clean up if a cfl bulb breaks. My husband is a fire captain. We are safety conscious in our home. There are special clean up procedures for cfl bulbs, but you do not need the haz mat team. There is a teeny tiny amount of mercury in a cfl bulb that can become vapor when broken. When I was in nursing school in 1982, one of my patients ate a mercury thermometer in front of me. Ooops! He was okay. Anyway, here is the address to the EPA's instructions on how to clean up a broken cfl bulb properly.
Start with the usual www and then epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup and end with html. I can't actually put the address in entirely.

Lastly, I have not ordered this through Amazon or the vendor here. I purchased my mini bulbs in a store and paid more money for a double pack. I cannot comment on any packaging issues that some reviewers have experienced. So sorry that has happened. However, personally, I feel that that type of comment is best for seller feedback and seller rating. I look there also when I am buying on Amazon. I want to know about the actual product when I read a product review.

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy your Sylvania mini as much as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love these, October 29, 2008
I find these bulbs to be very bright and a great value!! They are a bit slow to start, that is to get to full brightness. It takes about 1 to 2 seconds for them to initially light, and another 30 seconds or so to be fully lit. Getting these new bulbs also got me around to FINALLY cleaning the lamp shades and globes:-)!!

1.0 out of 5 stars 9 years? Try less than 2 1/2 years of light use (no pun intended), August 22, 2013
John Doe "John Doe" (Dutchess County, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased these bulbs and in the past had noticed how fast these bulbs have been burning out, so I bought a new 3-pack of the 23 watt bulbs (possibly not these exact bulbs, but they are Sylvania Energy Efficient CFL 100 Watt replacement, 9 year gaurantee, soft white Super Saver. When I needed to replace an old burned out bulb, I wrote the date on the base of one of these new bulbs. I placed one in the overhead fixture in my kitchen and it lasted just under 2 years, 3 1/2+/- months (821 days). The box (I still have 1 bulb left in the box) guarantees 9 years. The small print on the box equates that to 3 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 9 years, or 9828 hours of bulb time. For me to use the bulb that long I would have had to leave the kitchen light on for 12 hours a day (11.97 hours to be exact) every single day for the 2 years and 3 1/2 months. There are two people living here and we both work full time jobs. The kitchen light really ain't left on much. I am very confident believing we never even approached the 3 hours per day for 7 days a week, ever. The claims of longevity (9 years) are basically total BS. I wonder if the claims of power used to keep these things lit is as much BS too. I guess I should try out an ordinary bulb the same way and then compare price, etc. Side by side these bulbs are seriously more money. I'm certainly not convinced they are at all worth it. What mostly bugs me is Sylvania's claim of 9 years. BS

1.0 out of 5 stars These bulbs are 2700k, not 3000k, November 13, 2010
Sylvania seems to have phased out their 3000k CFl's, so I am attempting to build up a "lifetime supply" of various wattage 3000k CFL's, until such time that manufacturers offer them again. We prefer the whiter light provided by the 3000k CFL's, as opposed to the yellowish "soft white" 2700k bulbs, or the blue tinged 3500k bulbs.
Unfortunately, this six pack consists of 2700k bulbs, NOT 3000k CFL's. It would be nice for Amazon to update the information about this offering.
They should take better care of packing, as well. There are a few pieces of glass rattling around inside the blister pack, so there is at least one fatality. I'll not bother opening the package, but rather drop it off in the charity bin. I was hoping that this was old stock of the 3000k bulbs, but no luck. More tuition in the school of life, I guess...
You can probably pay less at Lowe's or Home Depot for 2700k CFL's without the added risk of breakage from shoddy packing.

Rate and Discover Movies