2,024 Reviews
 (1,005)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bulbs, Improved the pattern greatly
I replaced my high beam bulbs with the Ultras a few days ago. Much better light pattern now, can see the signs at night much better. The light is much whiter with a blue tint. Would recommend to everyone that drives at night.
Published on February 27, 2008 by John Thornton

1.0 out of 5 stars These bulbs have very short lives
ALL the DOT-legal high output bulbs achieve higher output by overdriving the filiments, which reduces bulb life. They have to do this because the DOT puts limits on wattage. The only exception are HID and HIR bulbs, which use new technology to get more light out of less watts.

According to Sylvania:
"Since our SilverStar(r) ULTRA
headlights are up to...
Published on August 29, 2008 by Regnut

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bulbs, Improved the pattern greatly, February 27, 2008
Some other reviews say that the Sylvania bulbs burn out too soon. Being a technician mechanic most of my life, the main thing you must do when handling these bulbs for install is wear gloves.
The oil from your hands will create "hot spots" on the bulbs and they will burn out prematurely. So buy some latex gloves and put them on from the second you open the package, to when you are done. Then they will last longer than a year. My 9004 Silver Stars in my Jetta are going on three years now.

1.0 out of 5 stars These bulbs have very short lives, August 29, 2008
This review is from: Sylvania 9006 SU SilverStar Ultra Halogen Replacement Bulb , (Pack of 2) (Automotive)

According to Sylvania:
"Since our SilverStar(r) ULTRA
headlights are up to 50% brighter than standard halogen, they will have
a shorter life span when compared to our other products. Part number
9005SU will last for approximately 125 hours of "on time", 200 hours for
part 9006SU."

For comparison, standard Halogens are rated at 1000/350 hours low/high. Use the S

If you want good lights on a 9006/9005 car, get some Toshiba 911 and 912 HIR bulbs. They'll cost you about $15 more than the Silverstars Ultras, put out more light... and last 5 times as long!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sylvania 9006SU BP TWIN Silverstar Ultra, Twin Pack, October 20, 2007
As I reach my 60th year on this earth, I have found my "night vision" while driving to be less then optimal! Because of that I wanted to have better lighting from my vehicle's headlight's. I also wanted to be in compliance within all 50 states while accomplishing this lighting task.

After a bit of investigation online I decided that the Sylvania 9006SU BP TWIN Silverstar Ultra, Twin Pack was the right choice for me.

I have not been disappointed in that choice. Everything touted about the lamps has been truthful, and I'm glad I did make the switch from the OEM lamps to these.

I suggest anyone needing a similar improvement for their night time driving do the same!

1.0 out of 5 stars Good while they last, January 4, 2009
Very bright but short lived.
I installed a set in my 2002 Honda CRV. One burned out in about 4 months and I don't have running lights. A call to Sylvania customer service gave a offer to send a new set if I returned the burnt out bulb with the sales reciept. OK thats nice, 2 for 1. Very generious,however the second set did not last any longer. Another call to C.S. This time the rep. was more helpfull or should I say truthful. I was informed that some makes of vechiles such as Honda and BMW, as well as other forgien makes run as high as 15 volts to the headlights causing premature failure of the Silver Star and Silver Star Ultra bulbs. Therefore Sylvania does not recomend them for these cars. Now they tell me.
I have had a set in my Chrysler T&C van for over 2 years. No problem.
Check with your dealer if your car is not US and save yourself money and aggravation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, good price, September 16, 2008
The Silverstar bulbs, whether this type or the standard ones are a good upgrade for any vehicle. I have them in 3 vehicles now, and they have lasted years in my VW Jetta and are still as bright as the day I put them in. Some reviews state short life span, so here's the best tip I gave give anyone working with headlight bulbs.
The second you are working with your Silverstars, put on latex gloves and don't take them off until you have the job done. Oil from your skin will create hot spots on the bulbs and they will burn out quickly. If you don't touch them, this won't happen and they should last for quite a few years. At this price, I would recommend these bulbs to everyone that would like to see better at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Driving Is Now Not Dreaded!!!!, January 13, 2008
I recently purchased a 2007 Nissan Frontier SE pick-up. I noticed it had the reflective headlights when I purchased it, but thought no furthur about it until my first night back roads(dark) drive. We have a lot of deer in the area, and hardly a night goes by that I do not have them cross the road in front of me. I could not see more than 100 feet in front of me on dim and about 125 feet on bright, it seemed, and was hesitant to drive more than 30-35 mph. I found myself ducking down to try to see under the light/dark edge. I was amazed to hear my wife describe the same feeling. I hated to drive at night. I contacted the local Nissan dealer and asked if the lights could be adjusted. The service manager acted like I was crazy and said they had not had this problem before, and was no help at all. I contacted Nissan headquarters who were even less help. They told me to contact the local dealers who were independently owned, and would be glad to furnish me a list of the area dealers. What a joke. I asked for help to solve a serious problem to me and got the brush off from Nissan on what I considered a serious design problem. I have a friend who has a Titan and does not have the reflective type lights and has no problems. So, Internet here I come. I found the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra lights, and started reading the reviews. Almost all were raves about how much it helps night driving. So, I decided to purchase some. BEST PURCHASE I HAVE MADE IN SOME TIME!!!! These lights made night driving so much easier. I can now see down the road. I would recommend these lights, and have, to anyone who feels their night vision is impaired by insufficient lighting by their automobile. Thanks Sylvania for fixing my problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, April 18, 2009
These lights are a big improvement over stock bulbs without being obnoxious to other drivers. I have not had failures of this lamp in any vehicle. I am careful not to touch the glass of the bulb with bare skin. Finger oils can supposedly damage the glass and shorten the life. As an electrician, Sylvania bulbs are my first choice. They have served me well over the years with impressive longevity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let there be light., March 21, 2007
My daughter was complaining that she was having a difficult time seeing any distance while driving at night. She goes away to college, and the school is located in a very rural area. Many of the roads she drives on have no street lighting. I installed the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in her car, and she was amazed at how much farther down the road she can now see. In fact I was so impressed that I went out and purchased a pair of Sylvania Silverstar sealed beam headlights for my work van. What a difference bright white lighting makes when it comes to driving at night. This product is awesome.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light, horrible product life., January 5, 2008
The Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs are the best auto headlamps I've ever used. They are as bright as you're going to get without upgrading to high-intensity lights. My primary concern, is the life of the product. My first set lasted 8 months, and I don't have day running lights and I assume I use them as any other average/reasonable driver. I was unhappy with that set, so I researched more on Sylvania-Osram's website and they have posted on their website a description that says these specific lights do not last as long as less bright lights. That makes since, but 8 months?!?!

Their customer service was excellent and sent me a new set immediately after my complaint. Before installing the new Ultra's, I put in Sylvania's lights that are one step below these, but are still supposed to be relatively bright. Those were pretty good, but also only last 8 months. I'm now back to the Ultra's that they sent me, but after that...I'm not sure if I want to spend $40 - $50 ever 8 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bulb Burn-Out Issue Solved (For Me)!, April 28, 2009
Big Ron (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
For several years I was having a problem with the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs burning out every 6 to 12 months. I loved the light so much that I tolerated it and replaced them with the same bulb.

I was using the practice of letting the Camry turn the lights on automatically with a turn of the ignition key. The process was (1) key turned to ignition (2)lights turn on (3) engine starts. I could see the lights flutter a little during the starting process.

I then experimented by manually turning on the lights AFTER the car was started. It has now been 2 years with NO BULB BURNOUTS. I believe turning the ignition with the lights already in auto on creates extra wear and tear resulting in more frequent burn-outs.