|Screen Size||8.9 inches|
|Hard Drive||80 GB|
Sylvania GNET28001SO Meso 8.9" Netbook PC (1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Ubuntu OS) Yellow
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- 2.2 lbs of muscular Intel Atom performance at uncompromised mobility
- Connected, built in WiFi
- Secure web browsing, email and entertainment
- Windows Xp Home Edition or Linux-based Ubuntu Netbook Remix
- 8.9-Inch LED backlit display with integrated webcam for easy chat and photos
Top Customer Reviews
WHY DID I BUY: Over the last few years I have started to use Linux more and more. I am not a "geek" persay. And I don't like having to command line everything. I like a nice grasphical interface to do nearly all my work. I'm from the windows 95, XP generation. So I hunted around and tried a few distributions, SUSE, Madriva (which I loved for a while) and then I discover Ubuntu. Something about Ubuntu just felt right. Everyone is different. But for me Ubuntu felt like home. Is it a perfect replacement for windows....no. But it does most of what I need. And after spending some time working with a Vista laptop, I finally decided that my next laptop would be Ubuntu based. Vista was too bloated. Even with all the eye candy turned off....it was sloww[...] I would run Ubuntu on the same laptop and it was quick and responsive even with COMPIZ (eyecandy working overtime) So I wanted a laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled and working right out of the box. But it seemed that of big commercial companies only DELL offers Ubuntu laptops. They are very nice looking. But I just wasn't sold. Then I saw the new crop of netbooks coming out, and I stumbled upon the Ubuntu web page describing the Netbook Remix GUI. I decided to make the plunge. So when the first netbook came out with this version of Ubuntu on it, I purchased it.Read more ›
1. Tiny size.
2. Cool Colors.
3. Native Ubuntu device.
4.Read more ›
Cons: 1) The ad says 2.2 lbs, the box says 2.2 lbs, and 2.2 lbs it does weigh . . . until you snap in the battery. Then it weighs 2.75 lbs.
2) Neither the wifi nor the camera worked out of the box. Doing a software recovery started the wifi, and a downloaded patch brought the camera to life. But the wifi doesn't pick up as many hot spots as other computers and the camera is really bad (but then I don't need a camera).
3) There is no right shift key. Honest. There is no shift key on the right side of the key board. So, as long as you don't need to capitalize any letters on the left side, you're OK! Actually, there is a dorky workaround in which you remap the keyboard to put a right shift where the up arrow is, the up arrow goes to where the menu key is, then the menu goes to where the useless supershift key is. (Hey, Sylvania! Create a patch for this.)
Also the keyboard IS really small, but if you have small hands it is quite typeable.
4) I guess you could squeeze four hours out of the battery if you turned the screen way dark, but as you will want to use it in the real world, figure on 3 hours.
5) Documentation is almost nonexistent, and what there is is for the XP version. Almost nothing on the web site as well. (It is assumes that Linux users can figure out anything by themselves.)
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I loved this! But then I am somewhat a collector of all things computers. It came with Ubuntu installed and was a geat deal of fun. Read morePublished 23 days ago by pseudopetereviews
I bought cheap and got a netbook that was slow and broke after a few months. This could be due to the company not sending me the external power supply, and when I told them they... Read morePublished 23 months ago by FurryFriend
wonderful little machine that works great with gos3.1 gadgets. no problems running linux, installing openoffice 3, or anything else i've thrown at it yet. Read morePublished on July 28, 2009 by Patrick J. Oleary
I placed the order in mid March but wasn't delivered for 2.5 months. Therefore had to cancel the order and bought a netbook from System 76 which was delivered within 10 days. Read morePublished on June 12, 2009 by Kaze
It's a fantastic little machine. Perfect portable. I'm getting used to the Ubuntu op system, but that's another story. Coolness factor is through the roof. Read morePublished on June 11, 2009 by J. Duffy
I enjoy using this little beast very much. It is what it should be - an on the couch or on the go way to get on the internet. Read morePublished on June 3, 2009 by Phil N. LeBlanc
Well, the meso is comparable to the little netbook that could. I got mine for $250 through RCS, they sold me a good one, although it was listed as refurbished. Read morePublished on May 11, 2009 by Aaron Lobliner
The Sylvania G Meso netbook is great. I really like mine. The white color is cool. Forget the sylvania name. That's all it is. This device is made by Digital gadgets. Read morePublished on May 1, 2009 by C. Thornton
This is a neat, useful little machine, but, even more, it is a POWERFUL little machine. It has Ubuntu Linux operating system, which is truly a joy after so many years with the... Read morePublished on April 18, 2009 by Stanley H. Zisk