Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on April 26, 2009
Update: Thanks to another reviewer's advice, I just upgraded the memory to 2GB by adding another 1GB. It was very easy. Just open up the back and snap it into place.

I let the battery run and it lasts little less than 4 hours, but probably depends on other factors like applications running, screen brightness and such. I don't know how that fares in comparison to other 6 cells.

I stand corrected on the viewing between the two screen sizes. Read the helpful comment.

I've been using it for a few weeks now, and I love it. Would upgrade the rating to 5 stars. Highly recommend it.

Currently the Asus eee pc 1000HE is getting all the top reviews on the market. But the Asus is priced at $100 above this Sylvania. I paid $285 on Amazon with no tax and free shipping. And so I wasn't willing to pay that kind of a premium for my tertiary computer (already have a desktop and a bigger laptop). If you are in need of a travel friendly netbook just to lug around town or on vacation, this is it!

I was impressed with the bright screen. The 10 inch screen was easy on the eye and you can adjust the brightness easily. It is big enough for internet pages so you don't have to scroll sideways to view the page like on the 8.9 inch screens.

The keyboard was also nice. It's small but not difficult to use. I tried a 8.9 inch netbook at a store and just couldn't type on it without constantly hitting unwanted keys. I'm 6.0' and maybe a smaller hands can do it.

The touch pad could use improvements. I'm sure there are drivers I could download somewhere to control sensitivity and such. So for now, I just plug in a optical mouse, and no problem.

I had some issues connecting to my home wireless network at first. You have to turn the wireless card on manually with a button using the control key, and set Windows to control your wireless connection. But after that, there were no problems.

The speed of the computer is adequate. I'm not sure if the if you can expand the RAM, but info is hard to find. The main reason is Sylvania's website ([...]) is curently down and has been for a long time, which honestly concerned me a bit. But I'm sure you can call them to find out. It would be nice to upgrade the RAM to improve the speed.

The storage is more than adequate at 160GB. The battery is 6 cell (but haven't tested it yet).

So if you are in need of a compact 10 inch netbook that's user friendly for under $300, this is your best bet.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2009
I really like using this netbook. It is perfect especially for travel. Something I noticed is unlike my full sized Dell laptop, the screen is bright and easy on the eyes even when you are using battery. Of course you can dim it manually but it doesn't dim automatically when switching from plug to battery. Impressive price and pleasant to use. Good for reading on the couch or in bed. I bought it in anticipation of my laptop dying soon and will not have problems using it all the time when the laptop finally gives out on me.
on March 23, 2009
Does what I needed it to do and then some. Bluetooth and built in wireless are very convenient. 1gb ram is sufficient for my apps so far. I would recommend this machine.
on February 5, 2009
I totally love this little netbook and contrary to what others say it is the same as the MSI Wind... No difference in build quality. I like that the netbook has a 6 Cell battery, Bluetooth and... MAC OSX!!!

I am not a big fan of Windows so I put Mac OSX on this netbook and it runs great. Had to get 3rd party drivers to make the wifi work but other than that it is perfect. There are plenty of forums on the net if anyone need instructions.

I like to use it in my kitchen to follow online recipes and watch Hulu vids.

It is great for those times when my MacBook Pro is overkill.
on February 10, 2009
This device provides all of your computing needs in an ultra compact package. Add an optional external optical drive and you're set! I loaded MS Office and it connects seamlessly to your network printers and services. With three USB ports you could add a 3G modem and truely place yourself head and shoulders above the rest! It has Bluetooth, webcam and a 160 HD. The 10" screen provides ample width while scrolling takes care of the rest.
on May 2, 2009
PROS: This netbook is exactly the same as the MSI Wind U100. I was able to install the Wind's 1.09 BIOS on the Magni Elite and overclock it 24% without any problems. Oh yeah, the netbook also arrived a few days earlier than expected, which was nice. I was able to install Windows 7 very easily since there was already a separate partition created on the netbook for data.

CONS: The touchpad is made by Sentelic, so it sucks a little bit. I'd prefer a synaptics pad. It came with Synaptics drivers, even though the pad is Sentelic. It does have some useful features like disabling the touchpad while typing.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2009
First of all, I spent a significant amount of time researching just about every manufacturer and type of netbook available prior to this purchase.

The Sylvania is simply the best deal out there when you make any comparison, and it works beautifully. It feels solid and well built. Probably because it is the exact machine as the MSI Wind U100, only 100 dollars less. I bought this from Amazon for 249.99.

Here's the breakdown:
10 inch screen
1GB memory expandable to 2G
160GB HD
Windows XP
3 USB ports
multicard reader

6 cell battery (and yes, I get over 6 hours with heavy internet surfing and video)

Lastly, there is a 3 year warranty - unheard of among any manufacturer!!!!

Nothing out there compares, even with any Black Friday specials.
on May 11, 2009
Reviewers elsewhere have noted CONS that should be carefully considered by less experienced computer users before purchase. 1) Except for a brochure for the most basic matters, the machine comes with no owners' manual, not even on the HD. (And office hours are week DAYS only.) 2) Connecting to wi-fi is not set at the factory and must be done by the buyer, using the keyboard and Win controls - explained nicely below, but annoying. 3) Naturally, the speakers give a new meaning to tin - as do these netbooks (but a good headset=good music). 4) Like the MSI Wind, this Sylvania voids the warranty if I should open the machine.
That said, this G Sylvania, by Digital Gadgets LLC, works well. I find typing no problem; the right shift key, for example, is oversized as it should be. Accustomed to laptops, I found it easy to adapt to the touchpad and its unique buttons.
It is what it is, and for travel just what I wanted at $304 - though I'd have preferred $280.
on May 16, 2009
Got this when the price dropped to $280. This is 100% MSI wind just branded under a different name.
on July 6, 2009
I've enjoyed my netbook for about a month now.

The only thing is doesn't have is the microsoft programs (word, excel, etc.) So if you want those... you could either buy them online (program runs at about $150) or buy an external dvd drive (around $60) and uploud your microsoft CD. I going to buy the drive.

See 1 answered question