Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sylvania 9-Inch Swivel Screen Portable DVD/CD/MP3 Player with 5 Hour Built-In Rechargeable Battery, USB/SD Card Reader, AC/DC Adapter
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 13, 2013
This was a great buy and a very very good value. It has a bigger screen than most of these kinds of machines. It also has good battery life of 4 + hours. Also works plugged in. Bonus is that it will read files from memory card or USB flash drive. This extends operating time on battery power. And it reads MP3, CDs, and Jpegs.
0Comment| 308 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2014
Bought this because of price and claim of 5hrs on battery. Have purchased other items which claimed decent battery life but it was not the case. Sylvania's claim is TRUE.

When first received, I ran battery down by playing DVD's so I could give it a full charge. It actually played 3 DVD's in a row for more than 5 hours during the run down. Good clarity on screen, large easy to use function dials/buttons (whatever they are called) and lightweight - 2 lbs. Lots of other features like remote, USB card reader (don't use these but nice to have just in case). Looking forward to using on my upcoming trip. What a deal!
11 comment| 280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2012
For he price this lil player is great. Folds nicley into a tablet style screen. Has good display and the sound is decent. Would give it a 5 star but the case that it comes with is very cheap. Ripped it beyond use first time I hooked it up. Otherthan that great product.
11 comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2015
If I could give this DVD player 0 stars, I would. First, everything that has been posted about the low sound on this device is true. I had to buy an external speaker to be able to hear it over the DVD player noise. However, my main problems is that it is cheaply made, so the tray lid broke within 4 months of infrequent use. I bought the extended warranty, so I called the extended warranty company (Assurant Solutions), who directed me back to the manufacturer because it was supposed to have a 1 yr warranty (according to their records). The number they helpfully supplied for Sylvania customer service was wrong, because the device is actually manufactured by Curtis then branded for Sylvania. I looked up the Curtis customer service number on the Sylvania website ([...]), and called it (800.968.9853). I spoke to a VERY rude person at Curtis' call center, which is apparently in India. I was told that the warranty is actually only 90 days, and that, because it was the tray lid that broke, it was considered wear and tear damage anyway (despite the shoddy construction), so it would cost me $40 to fix the $70 DVD player that was only used 10 times. I told them that if it was out of warranty, then the extended warranty company should cover it. I called back to the extended warranty company and was told that they needed the warranty info in writing, then they very nicely gave me another customer service number for the manufacturer, which was also wrong. I called the Curtis customer service 800 number from the Sylvania website yet again, and spoke to another VERY rude customer service rep at the call center in India. They eventually told me to pull the warranty info from the website ([...]). I emailed a pdf of the warranty website page to the extended warranty company, but they never reopened my ticket, even after telling me to reference it in the email. After all of the calls and being bounced back and forth, I was so disgusted with the entire situation that I threw the DVD player away and bought a refurbished Sony DVP-FX970 9-Inch Portable DVD Player (2011 Model), which is a much better quality device and is worth the extra $40 that I paid for it. I will admit that Assurant Solutions' customer service was very friendly and tried to be helpful, but they did not resolve my issue and they told me wrong information three separate times (manufacturer's contact numbers and the warranty info for the device).. Ultimately, both the manufacturer's warranty and the extended warranty were useless.
77 comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2012
This is the first time I've ever bought anything used online. I must say that I am QUITE PLEASED with this. As promised
it plays like new and continues to do so months after purchase and constant use. KUDOS!
on July 6, 2014
So far, this product is working perfectly.
We purchased this DVD player for an 18 hour road trip to keep our toddler entertained.
I had some hesitations because so many of the reviews were negative because it would quit working after only a few hours of play.
We kept it on almost non stop for 10 hours with no problems whatsoever. The next day it was on for 8 hours, again with no problems. We used it sporadically while at our destination (to lull the toddler beast to sleep) and then again on the way home for another 18 hours and it's still a champion!
0Comment| 221 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2013
On a recent condo club vacation in Grand Cayman the power went out in our section of the island. Our only light was a small computer, a Nook and the movie we watched on this machine. We were happy campers.
on July 11, 2012
I just purchased this dvd player for my daughter, it is pretty good the only thing is the accessory it came with I find the bag is to cheap one of the cords is to short and the volume is not loud enough.
on July 31, 2015
Love this product! I had read some of the reviews and was kinda scared of what might happen but since I no longer had cable TV decided if take the chance. Use this DVD player almost every night before bed LOVE IT! My only issue with it is if you can't find the controller you can't change the volume even though there are volume buttons on the console. Also I found certain DVDs the sound was very low had to use head phones to hear it for the most part sound it great though.
review image
I'm giving this five stars even though there's one hitch (unless I just can't figure it out). I have used a portable DVD player for many years and this is the BEST ONE I have EVER HAD. The reason: most of them, cheap and more expensive, from Amazon or super cheapos from Walmart, have had a big flaw: they work well with the remote but without it the dvd players are hard to work. This one seems a bit the opposite; you can use the remote but its so simple and well built that you don't need the remote (I can't figure out why you'd USE a remote on a tiny dvd player). Built in sound is quite good. It works better with the earphones but sound quality is really good. Picture quality is excellent. The controls on the machine itself worth without a hitch and are very easy to figure out. This also has a five our battery charge. The only hitch (and maybe I'm missing something) is that about half the DVD portable dvd players I've had over the years have a button or are set up so if you turn off your player in the middle of a movie when you turn it back it finds your place. This apparently does not (I keep looking) But since you can advance or backtrack a dvd at 32 times the original speed its simple to find your place. I REALLY recommend this one as the most solidly built one I've had. Also, the remote on this takes regular batteries. On the really cheap ones its a tiny battery that is hard to find and even then the remote maynot work and those machines are almost garbage without a remote. Why do I use a dvd player instead of my computer? To save some wear and tear and extend the life of my laptop. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.