Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on April 9, 2014
We purchased this model for our son last year and we loved it. We decided to purchase two more as gifts for our other children. However, we didn't know that the dvd player has been revamped and is now junk (what you see in the picture is the old version). We are so disappointed in the new features. The first player we received had a volume wheel on the side of the player, but now the up volume is on the play button and the down volume is on the stop button. So, to stop the video you press the stop button, but to turn down the volume, you hold down the stop button. It makes it impossible to adjust the volume slightly because you can't turn it up or down one notch at a time which is a problem since the video plays at top volume every time you start the player and must be adjusted down each time. The lid broke on both of the newer players within two weeks and in less than 90 days both screens have stopped working. The first one is still in good working condition, but the newer ones are now in the trash. I don't understand why they would take a great product and make it useless. I'll never buy another Sylvania product again.
0Comment| 366 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2011
I am very pleased with this player, the portable size and quality are great and it plays just fine. I have a nearly one hour commute to and from work each day and the player lasts through both trips on one battery charge. I love the color too. This is a great value for the money because you get everything you need all in one package. The unit comes with a car charger and cables to plug into a television set. It comes with earphones and a remote control also. The only thing I don't like is the case, which as others have mentioned, is very thin and not too great at holding the player in place in the car. I am searching to buy another case but for the price paid and all the accessories this unit comes with, it is well worth the price. My almost two year-old is excited about watching her movies in the car and this will be a life-saver!
1010 comments| 406 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2012
We bought this DVD player for our 2 1/2 year old for our long car rides to my parents' house. After reading other reviews I was a little hesitant, but I gave it a try for the price and swivel/flip function. I love that it can be flipped around and folded so it's similar to a tablet and all of the buttons are covered from our toddler's curious fingers! In anticipation of the carrying case being low quality (according to other reviews) I also purchased the "Car Headrest Mount for Swivel & Flip Style Portable DVD Player," which was a good call! The DVD player itself worked very well. I was happy with the picture and sound. I'm not sure what issue other people are having with the sound because I could hear my son's movie over the sounds of the car, with the A/C on, and radio playing quietly. When he's used it in the house, I've actually gone and turned the volume down so that it's not quite so loud. I have to agree with other reviewers complaints about the carrying case. It's pretty terrible and doesn't hold the dvd player in very well with the oddly placed elastic straps. The material is very lightweight and flimsy, similar to the fabric some reusable shopping bags are made of. The only use I can really see for it is putting the extra cords and Dvd player in for storage between trips. I absolutely wouldn't trust it to hold the DVD player up on a head rest like it claims. We mounted the DVD on the headrest in the car using the car headrest mount mentioned above (available separately on Amazon). I was able to pause, stop, and play the movie using the little remote from the front seat of the car (dvd player behind my head). One downside is that the car adapter cord is really short and was not long enough to reach the dvd player mounted on the headrest. As a solution he would watch one movie, I would take it and plug it in for a while, then put it back for another movie for fear that the battery would die if I didn't. One thing I find myself missing is the ability to turn off the player and turn it back on and pick up the movie where it left off, though with our toddler it didn't really matter since he was happy to just watch it here and there. At this point, I haven't had the occasion to try the USB or SD card reader and don't know that I ever will. We're fine just using DVD's.
0Comment| 293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2012
Bought this initially to use just in my car with a mount as an inexpensive alternative to a roof-mounted DVD player. I took a recent trip out of town and decided to take it with me for my kid to use. I love the versatility of this thing especially having a SD card slot. I inserted a 16gb SD card in mine which has about 12 hours of videos on it. Sure does beat the alternative of lugging those extra DVDs around. The rotating screen is great too. It swivels around and can become flat which fits perfectly in my 16 month old's lap. Battery power seems sufficient, I've played up to 2 hours of video from both the DVD player and SD card with no issues, but haven't tried to test the max battery life yet. All in all, I'm happy with the purchase and would definitely recommend to anyone in the market for a portable DVD player.

9/6/12 Update-
Since I've had this for a few months now my only complaint is the functionality of the buttons on the DVD player itself have degraded particularly the "ENTER" button. When you're on any menu screen and hit "enter" it will move to the next option down instead. Sometimes it will move down one then enter giving you a menu screen or option you didn't want to be in so you have to back out to the main menu again. You have to press almost perfectly in the center or it will do this 9 out of 10 times. Sounds trivial but it becomes a major pain especially when you're trying to get it turned on for your kids and get on the road in the morning. The way to get around it is to use the remote which I haven't had any issues with. Still I'm happy with the versatility the player has and would recommend it to anyone in the market for a DVD/Digital video player.
55 comments| 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2014
Recieved shipment very quickly! However, the DVD player i recieved is a bit different then the one in the picture. So it is just like the one we used to have and we were trying to avoid that. As we did not like where the volume control is located... The same buttons as stop and play. So that was a bit of a pain.
We haven't tried it out yet as it is a Christmas gift, but hopefully it works better than our last one!
on November 27, 2012
I bought this for by baby girl to watch baby Einstein as we drive 2 hours a day to work/home. It was never abused, never moved, anything and started acting up after about 4 months of use....now at 6 months of use it does not work at all.
on April 23, 2012
We bought this player after much research and store hopping in hopes that it would keep our 4 children happy during a 14 hour car trip. It did the trick! And after 8 months of use it still works!
Pros:
1. Price - at $75 (including tax), it was the best deal I could find for a quality player.
2. Swivel Screen/Folding Screen - very helpful for children to be able to see/hear/remove the temptation to touch buttons.
Cons:
1. The car bag kit is TERRIBLE! Very flimsy: I used a couple of velcro straps to help secure it to the seat. The bag is just a carry case for the player and accessories. If you don't have it secured, the player will bounce out and has several times!
2. Sound - but I cured that by plugging in a tape adapter into the headphone jack to play over the van speakers. If you are using the player in a quiet area or with headphones, it's fine, but road noise will drown out the little speakers on the actual player.
3. The Car/Aux Power Cord is cheap! The cord is way too short (2' long) and it come apart at the plug in on the dvd player side. After 7 months, the cord broke, so I spent $20 at Radio Shack for a new cord & adapter (8' long), so I've paid 1/4 the price of the player to get a better cord! The cables could stand to be a little longer and it should come equipped with an actual RCA male cable (it came with female cable.
The Indifferents:
1. Battery Life is almost 2 hours when fully charged.
2. Picture quality is fine - it's only a 7 inch screen, so choose full screen formatting.
3. The remote is fine, but no volume control (that's on the actual player).
This is a must have for long car rides with children!
22 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2015
I read so many bad reviews that I almost didn't purchase this. Since I got it for twenty buckaroos & I've needed one forever, I decided to take a leap of faith. Let me just say, yes! I got it for my two year old for extended car rides. I'll address all the issues I read in bad reviews. 1. The volume is loud enough for me. It goes to twenty. I have it on 10 now with no problems. 2. The remote works fine for me. You have to point it at the exact right place on the front because that's where the sensor is. 3. The volume buttons being the same button as stop & play don't bother me. You just press & hold the buttons for volume. I don't love the fact that it doesn't remember your place in the movie if you stop it. You have to start the whole thing over but I just skip chapters to get my place back. Takes 10 seconds. I will warn you that it's a tad bit small. The whole unit while folded closed is only slightly larger than a standard DVD case. The screen is about 75% of that size which is about a full cell phone screen and a half (samsung galaxy s5). Works for me!
on September 10, 2011
Great picture and sound, love the swivel feature - it's keeping my daughter very happy in the car! The remote actually works from the front seat, too! Extremely happy with it.
on January 20, 2015
the portable DVD player is great but the case is so cheap