5.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of LCDs for the Kids
I spent a bunch of time looking for displays for the car. I also wanted a player that did not need DVDs and this unit filled those requirements! It will play SD cards and USB drives. I used a 8 GB microSD card with SD adapter and I could put 8 movies on the card. About 1GB per movie.

The interface is simple to use and the video quality is great...
Published on October 28, 2011 by James Long

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic! With a few frills!!
I just received the package yesterday and thought of providing a few quick insights on the product

Pros:
- easy to set up
- has SD card/USB slots
- Remote control
- Good connecting cables
- can use it both in car and also as a normal portable dvd player
- CD to USB ripping from the player

Cons:
- Cannot play...
Published on February 17, 2012 by Shekar

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic! With a few frills!!, February 17, 2012
This review is from: Sylvania SDVD8737 7-Inch Dual Screen Portable DVD Player (Electronics)

Pros:
- easy to set up
- has SD card/USB slots
- Remote control
- Good connecting cables
- can use it both in car and also as a normal portable dvd player
- CD to USB ripping from the player

Cons:
- Cannot play different movies in each of players. Only one device has DVD/SD/USB slots. Other one is a just a LCD display.
- Not convenient to change DVDs as you need to take the player out of its straps and change it.
- Does not play from where it stopped
- Average picture quality
- No battery back up, needs to be connected to powers source all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of LCDs for the Kids, October 28, 2011
James Long (Tarpon Springs, FL) - See all my reviews

The interface is simple to use and the video quality is great!

Since it has two screens I was also able to use the main unit to play movies from the SD card and the second display to play movies from my iPOD. This let me play two different movies on each display! It was great. My 1 year old could watch Baby Einstein while my 2.5 year old watched Dora.

Unit has everything need to connect and mount in the car. The headrest mounts were very easy to use and mount. They are also very easy to remove. The system includes a great carry bag as well to store everything if you want to remove from the vehicle.

The units also work great in the house or hotel room. They have handy little kick stands on the back of the units to enable you to put them on a desk of floor.

4.0 out of 5 stars SDVD8737 vs SDVD8732, April 7, 2012
I haven't written an Amazon review before. But getting this player was a bit of an adventure, so I thought it might be helpful to add some input. I haven't seen any other dual-screen players that take USB, which is what makes these players so great to me. The kids throw DVDs around, they get all scratched up. With a USB stick, the movies play perfect every time. It's like having a tablet or a laptop for movies, except cheaper. I started with the SDVD8732, because it was less expensive. I bought it on Ebay. It is plastic looking, and plastic feeling. The mounting system, as the reviews indicate, is a little ridiculous. And what I got, as the reviews indicate, had a slave monitor that didn't work. So I returned it. The SDVD8737, in comparison, looks and feels much more solid. The mounting system is greatly improved (although, be aware, it doesn't work perfectly on all headrests). It doesn't have a battery, like the SDVD8732. But, to me, this isn't really a problem. It would be nice to take it around and play it off the battery. But, on the flip side, you don't have to worry about turning it off when you get out of the car; when the car turns off, the player turns off. To me, that's actually a convenience. I could be wrong, but it appears to start a movie from where it left off; maybe it has to do with the way the movie is coded? And, I haven't really had any problems with coding the movies properly. All the movies on my card are .avi format, and I've had one out of thirty or forty that hasn't played.
My opinion about why the slave monitor goes bad is like this. Most people don't hook these up so that the wires go directly, horizontally, between the two headrests. Most people probably run the wires down the side of the seat, and up the side of the next seat. But the connector is a straight connector that comes straight out of the monitor. My guess is that kids probably pull on the cord, pull on the connector, and probably end up cracking the soldering on the jack inside the monitor. This happens to music players too. What they really need is right-angle connectors for the TRRS cable, so that there is less tension on the connectors. And longer cables, that actually go to the floor. I tried to do this myself with some after-market cables to replace the AV cables that came with the kit. But... the TRRS connectors in this kit appear to be proprietary, not standard. The tip is too long. That's a shame. It's a design flaw. Just make sure that you have the cables fixed to the seat near the monitors in a way that there isn't any tension on the connectors, and that there won't be any tension if the cables accidentally get pulled on.

Other than that, we've had this kit for several months now and really enjoy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable and Wonderful!, December 29, 2011
The Sylvania SDVD8737 7-inch Dual Screen portable DVD player made my 10 hour trip with my three kids that much more bearable. Changing the DVDs was very easy for my twelve year old son who played the "Gatekeeper" to ensure the younger kids didn't get bored. The volume wasn't too loud and when the littlest went to sleep the older kids were able to hook up the head phones and keep watching. I was very happy with the ease of set-up and the ease of use. Overall I am very happy that I bought this before this last trip. I haven't used the USB/SD portion yet, but I did test it and it works really well. I think that next time we go on a long drive I will load up an SD card with some movies to make it easier for them.

Oh, and the New and Improved mounting system is AWESOME!! It Velcros onto the headrest, and to change out the DVD there is two straps that you can undo on the main DVD player, and it will hold against the headrest so you never have to take it down. It never slipped and we never had any problems with it. By the end of the trip my 4 year old was giving directions!

5.0 out of 5 stars These are AWESOME, June 1, 2014
We are loving this purchase. We bought another brand from a big name store, and they immediately broke. We got our money back. We've already had these for 2+ years, and they are still going strong. We had to buy a new car plug b/c our daughter shut the first one in the door, but nothing else has gone wrong. We've used them almost 3 times a week (if not more), and they are great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke After 1 Use, April 16, 2014
I bought this item and used it once. Now it won't read any dvds. I took it to a repair shop and it can't be fixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, January 18, 2014
These were easy to install and the twins love them. Best $ spent on these items! Thanks for a great item!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!!, April 16, 2014
This is by far the worst dvd player !! When you get in your car & turn it on its 50/50 if its going to play . I have got this to play about 8-10 times total & I bought this In January 2014 & its April 16 2014 ... I wish I could get my money back . Save your money put it towards a better dvd player Trust me you will Thank me for it ..

1.0 out of 5 stars Sticky Fingermarks On Obviously Returned Product. DISGRACEFUL!!!, August 5, 2013
Hugh Anderson (BLOOMFIELD HILLS, MICHIGAN, US) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:27 Mins

I am a little in shock over the condition of my first, and last, Sylvania product. I am a VERY satisfied Amazon customer, but this offering has tainted everything else.

I opened the box and saw immediately that there was no protection on the first unit, but there was a layer of dust. Smelling a problem, I took some video of the rest of the unpacking process. Inspection of that first unit showed that it was all scratched up on the front bezel - CLEARLY not a new product.

Below that were some instructions, then the second unit. WOW! WOW! WOW! It was clearly covered in some sticky substance transferred from the hands of a child - possibly jam. (Who returns a product in such condition?)

How does this happen? Someone uses a product, send it back in a deplorable condition, and Sylvania ship it straight back out as a new product. UNBELIEVABLE!

I am so angry about this. I did a lot of research before buying, and I bought the product for a road trip that starts in a few days. Now I am back to square one, having to take time to review this item, send it back, then go find something else.

Extremely disappointed. No stars if that were possible.

3.0 out of 5 stars NO documentation, but SD card video does work, July 13, 2013
Hopefully I can save some people time and frustration getting the SD card video to work.

I had no interest in taking and swapping DVD's on a 12 hour car ride. After much frustration trying to figure out what video format / codec works with this thing I figured out that mpeg2 works flawlessly.

I used FFmpeg on a linux machine to re-encode some videos, and a 32 GB SD card to store them. The command to re-encode them is:

ffmpeg -i input.(mpg|avi|whatever) -target ntsc-dvd -s 480x320 -aspect 16:9 output.mpeg

The default ntsc-dvd encode makes a 720x480 movie, which this little dvd player can barely handle. Downscaling it to 480x320 helped tremendously and did not hurt the quality at all (for this device).

Don't bother trying to encode to AVI as some other posters suggested.