Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Size: 7-Inch|Change

on February 17, 2012
I just received the package yesterday and thought of providing a few quick insights on the product

Pros:
- easy to set up
- has SD card/USB slots
- Remote control
- Good connecting cables
- can use it both in car and also as a normal portable dvd player
- CD to USB ripping from the player

Cons:
- Cannot play different movies in each of players. Only one device has DVD/SD/USB slots. Other one is a just a LCD display.
- Not convenient to change DVDs as you need to take the player out of its straps and change it.
- Does not play from where it stopped
- Average picture quality
- No battery back up, needs to be connected to powers source all the time.
55 comments| 266 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2011
I spent a bunch of time looking for displays for the car. I also wanted a player that did not need DVDs and this unit filled those requirements! It will play SD cards and USB drives. I used a 8 GB microSD card with SD adapter and I could put 8 movies on the card. About 1GB per movie.

The interface is simple to use and the video quality is great!

Since it has two screens I was also able to use the main unit to play movies from the SD card and the second display to play movies from my iPOD. This let me play two different movies on each display! It was great. My 1 year old could watch Baby Einstein while my 2.5 year old watched Dora.

Unit has everything need to connect and mount in the car. The headrest mounts were very easy to use and mount. They are also very easy to remove. The system includes a great carry bag as well to store everything if you want to remove from the vehicle.

The units also work great in the house or hotel room. They have handy little kick stands on the back of the units to enable you to put them on a desk of floor.
2828 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2012
I haven't written an Amazon review before. But getting this player was a bit of an adventure, so I thought it might be helpful to add some input. I haven't seen any other dual-screen players that take USB, which is what makes these players so great to me. The kids throw DVDs around, they get all scratched up. With a USB stick, the movies play perfect every time. It's like having a tablet or a laptop for movies, except cheaper. I started with the SDVD8732, because it was less expensive. I bought it on Ebay. It is plastic looking, and plastic feeling. The mounting system, as the reviews indicate, is a little ridiculous. And what I got, as the reviews indicate, had a slave monitor that didn't work. So I returned it. The SDVD8737, in comparison, looks and feels much more solid. The mounting system is greatly improved (although, be aware, it doesn't work perfectly on all headrests). It doesn't have a battery, like the SDVD8732. But, to me, this isn't really a problem. It would be nice to take it around and play it off the battery. But, on the flip side, you don't have to worry about turning it off when you get out of the car; when the car turns off, the player turns off. To me, that's actually a convenience. I could be wrong, but it appears to start a movie from where it left off; maybe it has to do with the way the movie is coded? And, I haven't really had any problems with coding the movies properly. All the movies on my card are .avi format, and I've had one out of thirty or forty that hasn't played.
My opinion about why the slave monitor goes bad is like this. Most people don't hook these up so that the wires go directly, horizontally, between the two headrests. Most people probably run the wires down the side of the seat, and up the side of the next seat. But the connector is a straight connector that comes straight out of the monitor. My guess is that kids probably pull on the cord, pull on the connector, and probably end up cracking the soldering on the jack inside the monitor. This happens to music players too. What they really need is right-angle connectors for the TRRS cable, so that there is less tension on the connectors. And longer cables, that actually go to the floor. I tried to do this myself with some after-market cables to replace the AV cables that came with the kit. But... the TRRS connectors in this kit appear to be proprietary, not standard. The tip is too long. That's a shame. It's a design flaw. Just make sure that you have the cables fixed to the seat near the monitors in a way that there isn't any tension on the connectors, and that there won't be any tension if the cables accidentally get pulled on.

Other than that, we've had this kit for several months now and really enjoy it
88 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2013
I am a little in shock over the condition of my first, and last, Sylvania product. I am a VERY satisfied Amazon customer, but this offering has tainted everything else.

I opened the box and saw immediately that there was no protection on the first unit, but there was a layer of dust. Smelling a problem, I took some video of the rest of the unpacking process. Inspection of that first unit showed that it was all scratched up on the front bezel - CLEARLY not a new product.

Below that were some instructions, then the second unit. WOW! WOW! WOW! It was clearly covered in some sticky substance transferred from the hands of a child - possibly jam. (Who returns a product in such condition?)

How does this happen? Someone uses a product, send it back in a deplorable condition, and Sylvania ship it straight back out as a new product. UNBELIEVABLE!

I am so angry about this. I did a lot of research before buying, and I bought the product for a road trip that starts in a few days. Now I am back to square one, having to take time to review this item, send it back, then go find something else.

Extremely disappointed. No stars if that were possible.
review image review image review image
on July 13, 2013
Hopefully I can save some people time and frustration getting the SD card video to work.

I had no interest in taking and swapping DVD's on a 12 hour car ride. After much frustration trying to figure out what video format / codec works with this thing I figured out that mpeg2 works flawlessly.

I used FFmpeg on a linux machine to re-encode some videos, and a 32 GB SD card to store them. The command to re-encode them is:

ffmpeg -i input.(mpg|avi|whatever) -target ntsc-dvd -s 480x320 -aspect 16:9 output.mpeg

The default ntsc-dvd encode makes a 720x480 movie, which this little dvd player can barely handle. Downscaling it to 480x320 helped tremendously and did not hurt the quality at all (for this device).

Don't bother trying to encode to AVI as some other posters suggested.
on January 25, 2016
I don't like leaving negative reviews, but I feel I'm obligated so no one else makes the same mistake. I searched and searched for a decent DVD dual screen player for a road trip (which included children). I was down to the wire and finally purchased this one. Let me tell you...people weren't kidding when they said the sound quality absolutely sucked. Whispering is louder than this unit. I hooked up headphones, and still pretty low sound. Okay, that being said, I connected the unit (and yes I connected the wires correctly). First, the sound in the first unit cut in and out. 2nd, the second unit didn't even have ANY sound coming out of it. 3rd, the connectivity was horrible as the second screen's picture cut in and out as well. I finally went and purchased the RCA 9" dual screen player....don't waste your money on that one either. So, I tried for a third time and finally ended up with the Philips 9" dual screen. The only downside to that one is no remote, but other than that, the picture quality and sound is amazing. There you have it....please don't waste your money on this unit. Sylvania needs to up their game and put out better crap, they should be embarrassed. Spend a little more and upgrade.
on December 29, 2011
The Sylvania SDVD8737 7-inch Dual Screen portable DVD player made my 10 hour trip with my three kids that much more bearable. Changing the DVDs was very easy for my twelve year old son who played the "Gatekeeper" to ensure the younger kids didn't get bored. The volume wasn't too loud and when the littlest went to sleep the older kids were able to hook up the head phones and keep watching. I was very happy with the ease of set-up and the ease of use. Overall I am very happy that I bought this before this last trip. I haven't used the USB/SD portion yet, but I did test it and it works really well. I think that next time we go on a long drive I will load up an SD card with some movies to make it easier for them.

Oh, and the New and Improved mounting system is AWESOME!! It Velcros onto the headrest, and to change out the DVD there is two straps that you can undo on the main DVD player, and it will hold against the headrest so you never have to take it down. It never slipped and we never had any problems with it. By the end of the trip my 4 year old was giving directions!
on December 30, 2013
This is great the screens can have different movies on at the same time. Be careful with the cord to avoid damaging it as stated in other reviews. I like it there are more in depth reviews on here so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. My kids get bored on longer car rides, this helps keep them occupied and my wife and I sane when on a road trip. I cannot comment on longevity of the product but I'm guessing it will last longer if it's not left in the car through heat and cold and is handled with some care when installing and removing. Your mileage may vary, if I get two to three years out of it it will have been worth it.
on April 16, 2014
This is by far the worst dvd player !! When you get in your car & turn it on its 50/50 if its going to play . I have got this to play about 8-10 times total & I bought this In January 2014 & its April 16 2014 ... I wish I could get my money back . Save your money put it towards a better dvd player Trust me you will Thank me for it ..
on March 29, 2013
Pros: it comes with everything you will need, head rest mounts, carrying bag and cables.
Cons: when the car stops, the dvd player starts the movie from the beginning, not from where you left it.
This unit plays only one movie at the time, but if you think about it you would not be able to hear two movies at the same time anyways. Over all I think is a good dvd player for long trips.