4.0 out of 5 stars pros & cons of sdvd8791
Published on May 18, 2011 by pete

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent feature set, poor reliability
Units have a nice feature set in that both screens have independent dvd players, remotes, and it comes with all the accessories you'll ever need. It even comes with a second car power adapter (the first one has two outputs) so you can run them independently in two different vehicles.

Now here's the bad:

The second player stopped playing dvd's within...
Published 22 months ago by edrock

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars pros & cons of sdvd8791, May 18, 2011
This review is from: Sylvania SDVD8791 7-Inch Twin Mobile Dual Screen/Dual DVD Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
I received delivery of this product yesterday.I immediately went to the instruction book to learn how to set it up. First problem--the cable between the 2 units ( for simul play) is extremely short. The car power cord is also short. I have a mini van & these cords are going to be strained.I will try to buy some after market cables. I could not make the 2 units display a single dvd picture. after a long try, I looked for a customer service number . There is not one anywhere in the package. I went to amazon who got me in contact with a sylvania service rep. She explained to me that the only way to do this is via the unit"A" remote control & a small button labeled "in/out". Two mounting assemblies for the car are provided in the form of velcroed straps. AGAIN, The only insruction on this was a 2" by 2" picture in the side of the box.

The picture on the units is excellent; controls seem to be good; but their insructions & customer service access are sad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great players, terrible mounting, July 14, 2011
We bought these for long car rides. I think the quality of the players is great and I love that you can play a separate movie in both players or the same one in both. I also love that it has a battery so that the movie doesn't stop or reset when you turn off the car (to stop for gas). The have nice little stands so that you can take them out of the car and use them in the house or elsewhere and each has it's own plug in the wall charger in addition to the shared car charger. They come with remotes and a nice little carrying bag. The down side is the mounting system. It is really terrible. It is a bunch of straps that have to be wrapped around the machine, and it is easy for the machine to fall out of them. Also, when you try to get them around your headrest, either the player faces at an upward angle, or you have to rig it to sort of face down toward your kids. It is really tricky to get a DVD in or out without taking the player out of the straps, and it is such a pain to put them back in the straps that this is annoying. I'm trying to think of ways I can make my own mounting system. I love the players - I don't know why they couldn't build in a plastic tab on the back to put a strap through for better mounting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent feature set, poor reliability, November 10, 2012
edrock "edrock" (Fairfax, VA United States) - See all my reviews

Now here's the bad:

The second player stopped playing dvd's within 2 months. I called Sylvania, which wants me to ship the unit back on my dime + a $7 check for "insurance," whatever that means.

Even if the second player hadn't failed, there are some other cons:
Remotes have to be right up to the screen to work. Not a huge deal since you really won't have to use the remote except for...
Second screen has no "input" button to switch to the av input. you have to use the remote
Only one screen has an AV-IN. And that input is shared with the output. i.e. it can only be in or out, not both at the same time. The reason this is bad is because if you wanted to feed a movie from an ipod or other external source, you can only display it on one screen.
Second player only has an output
Headphone output is way too low. I bought a wireless headphone system to tie into the system, and the headphones are self amplified.
Turning the unit off makes it forget where you left off, ie you will need to start the movie over and "skip" to where you left off.

Pros:
Screen is clear, bright and crisp
Each player can run independently
Units have built in batteries which do run for several hours, so turning you car off to fill up won't reset the players or stop the movie
It does come with two remotes with different IR codes, so they don't conflict with each other
It has accessories galore (off the top of my head, 1 car power adapter with 2 outputs, 1 car adapter with 1 output, two AC power adapters, 1 1/8" AV link cable, 2 1/8" to component breakout cables, 2 headrest straps, carrying bag, batteries for remotes)

One other "pro" which I have not confirmed is that the unit manual claims to be able to play MP4's off dvd's even though this isn't listed anywhere on the box or retailer websites, but I haven't tried so I can't say for certain it will do this.

All this being said, if you are in the market for a player, I suggest going for one of the newer units for $100 or less with dual screens and USB/media slots. Reason being you can rip your movies to thumb drives and play them even if the dvd player eventually fails, plus you can fit 40 or so movies on a $20 32GB thumb drive vice a bunch of dvd's that will most likely eventually get scratched, and the kids won't have to fight over discs. Only downside to these digital media capable units, as far as I can tell, is they do not run independently. Both screens must display the same thing.

I ended up buying 2 sets of digital media capable units, keeping the "main" media capable units with dvd players, and ebaying the two "input only" displays with power adapters, straps and cables for those that want to hook up external sources only. The set for $80 so net cost was $100.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great portable DVD players, September 13, 2013
These are great portable dvd players. Great price also. My one complaint would be how they are mounted. The straps are a little tricky. But as far as the players go they work great. When using headphones I'm not sure if the kids were getting the same volume from both players. It seemed the secondary player had a much quieter volume through headphones. But still made our long trip so much better with 3 kids being entertained for hours!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it while they worked, March 4, 2013
Jeremy (Baton Rouge, LA USA) - See all my reviews
Purchased from W*mart in late August 2012. Worked well until the last couple months. One player would make some rough noises when loading. Finally it stopped reading the discs. Shortly after the second unit stopping reading discs. Tried cleaning lens, still no luck. Enjoyed them while they lasted...6 months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken after second use, May 22, 2012
Purchased this item in late November and received in December. Having twins we liked the idea of two players with the ability to show one video. The "A" player which has the ability to recieve the video from the "B" player stopped working on the second use. No video was in the player, and a status of 'OPEN' appeared. I have tried everything to get it to work, including dealing with the crappy customer service in India. They went through a list of troubleshooting items, even though their answers did not apply to the situation. After a week of dealing with them on and off, I could send it in with a payment of $40 to get it repaired. When I asked to speak with the supervisor, I was shut down saying that they were the only one at this call center. Worst customer service ever! At this time, I have no plans to ever purchase or deal with Sylvania again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the car or truck, November 30, 2013
The only problem with this product is their customers who can't read the directions and one small detail the connector AV cable is just a touch too short but other than that everything is perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars Working well, September 22, 2013
N. Fede (Bpt., CT, USA) - See all my reviews
I have had these for a while now.5mo. And work well.Sometime take out of car to use in house. And still no issues. Also has a built in battery. I dont think it tell that. Dont know how long it lasts cause we always plugs in. Only glitch. One is A and other is B. only can share a video from one and not the other. So both will play different dvds. Or you can watch one dvd on both. But only from one. The other can not share. Sound is a bit lower on the share side too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straps suck but the units are great, August 28, 2013
I have had these for a year now and it still works despite how many times they fell from the accompanied flimsy straps. I really mean flimsy, almost as if they weren't supposed to that unit. I purchased two mounts and they work and look great with the unit. I cannot tell you how many times these DVD players fell to the floor of my car and the kids changing DVD's out..in my book that means sturdy. They have a high gloss finish and does work watching the same movie simultaneously or right during the video you can change back you the DVD in the unit. It is labeled A and B on the units and the remotes. So no mixup there. However, unit A can only pull the same movie from B and not B to A. I hope I did not confuse you. Basically, whatever is playing on B stays on B unit...but A can pull the movie that's in it or switch to watch what unit B is watching but not the other way around. Controls are on the units themselves and on the remotes......either way.....you have control of your movie or whatever else you listening to at your fingertips.

4.0 out of 5 stars very nice dvd players, August 27, 2013
Both work very well and came with all needed cables. I only wish there was a car charger for each unit instead of one that charges both at the same time

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›