Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sylvania 9-Inch Portable DVD Player SDVD9000B2, Black
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 23, 2011
This DVD player does what it says it does: plays various formats easily & cleanly. The remote the useful & easy to use...even from the front seat!

I love being able to swivel the screen around to make a "tablet" style DVD player & hang from the headrest a little cleaner.

My only complaints are with the accessories. The included power cords, both for car & home plugs are short & flimsy. The earbuds broke as soon as I opened them. The included carrying bag is actually made of the same material as cheap, disposable/semi-reusable bags. The strap broke right away & there is no padding.

Overall, plugs can be replaced & better carrying/mounting devices ate easily obtained. The player handles what we put it through everyday without even a skip.
55 comments| 424 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2012
We love this thing. As other reviewers have said, it's not super loud, but it's loud enough for our kids. We don't just use it for the car either. My daughter takes it in her bed and watches movies before nap. The picture is nice and crisp and the controls are easy. As a testament to Sylvania, my daughter dumped a whole cup of milk on this thing and I thought it was done for. I opened it and soaked up as much of it as I could and then tipped it and let it dry for a day. Amazingly, it works perfectly still.

In the car, the power cord is long enough to reach from the back seat to the cigarette lighter adapter to power it which was a concern of mine. The swivel head is convenient, but we haven't had much cause to used it -- although it has probably saved the screen from being snapped off more than once simply by being so flexible.

If you're looking for a great priced, durable, and sleek little machine, this one is a great choice.
44 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2011
No complaints with the picture quality, but I am returning it. The volume is so low that even at the loudest setting it is a strain for a person with no hearing problems to hear any dialog. The "case" is a flimsy bag like the reusable supermarket bags. The AV cable is about 6 inches long. Everything about it is cheap and not worth the price. I'm being generous in giving it 2 stars.
33 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2012
I received the unit 6 weeks ago. I absolutely loved it. It was awesome... Then, yesterday, the video screen blew. I can hear the video, but all I have is a white screen with vertical lines. I called the customer servers, a Curtis International. Absolutely awful customer service. They barely speak English, read from a script, and provide no technical assistance what so ever. To return the item for repair, which will take 8-10 weeks, I have to pay the shipping and their is a $7.00 warranty charge that has to paid by credit card immediately over the phone, or by cashier's check. And after all this, there is no guarantees their findings will be covered under this warranty of theirs. Dealing with them has been nothing but frustrating. Worst customer service ever!!!!!
11 comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2011
I purchased the Sylvania SDVD9000B2 after my RCA DVD player died. Having never had much luck with RCA products I researched other brands. There were many good offerings out there in 9 inch and even 10 inch screens but the Sylvania SDVD9000B2 offered the most bang for my buck while still keeping the price low. True, the carrying case is flimsy and the cable to connect the unit to the TV is too short and doesn't have the needed male connectors, but that is the only drawback I have found in the 5 weeks since it arrived. I used the case from my old player and had the correct cable in my drawer, so no sweat there. I use it almost every day and it doesn't disappoint. The "on unit" controls are easy to use plus there is a remote. The swivel screen is also a big plus. I highly recommend this portable DVD player.
11 comment| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2012
I purchased this for my son to watch DVDs in the car. We received it at the beginning of November, 2011. It was used ONLY on car rides--so maybe 4 times a week. I had no complaints about the DVD player, and thought it was a good purchase--good picture, sound was okay for an almost 2 year old. However, I tried to turn it on this past weekend and it wouldn't work! It makes a horrible noise while trying to play the DVD and finally says "no disc". I've tried multiple DVDs and nothing works. Three months of use is not acceptable. I'm very disappointed.
22 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2012
I bought this DVD palyer a few months ago. Even though it is portable, it stays in one place. The only thing that I actually move on it is the screen to swivel it or close it. 6 months later the screen came detached from the DVD player. I had bought Four Square guarantee with it. When I called Four Square, they told me to contact Sylvania the manufacturer. Sylvania does not warranty against the swivel. Four square said they would not cover it. The quality of the material is cheap. Despite low handling it broke. Speaking of Four square warranty (third party warranty), they back out when you actually go to make a claim.

AVOID BOTH - SYLVANIA DVD PLAYER AND FOUR SQUARE WARRANTY OFFER
22 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2013
Received this as a Christmas gift for my daughters. Used it 2 months then got the white screen. I assume there was a connection lost between the screen and the base because you could still hear the sound. It was alright for when it worked, the volume was bit low and it would not save settings like screen orientation between uses, but other than that it did what it was supposed to. Luckily for us we were able to get a refund through amazon.
on November 7, 2013
The first one lasted less than one month before the buttons stopped working properly. We got a replacement and this one stopped working right at 90 days. It was not cheap and I am disappointed. I will not buy this or any other Sylvania product again because of the cheapness of the electronic controls and because of the poor customer support (no phone number, just send it to them at your expense to fix it at your cost when it should still be operating fine). This item, though for a child, was in my home (I am grandma) and taken very well care of by me, never dropped etc.
on October 26, 2012
The only reason I bought this is because the Amazon description states it plays MP4 files from SD or USB. Well, it doesn't. No where on the box or in the included documentation does it make any reference to playing video off of USB or SD card. It can display jpg images and MP3 files, but no go on the video files... they don't even show up on the player.

I reformatted the SD cards into multiple formats and the only format the player would recognize is MS-DOS. I compressed my video files into several versions of MP4, MOV, WMV, AVI and M4V and none of them showed up. One of the reviewers said he was impressed that it handles so many different formats.... What?

It played the one and only DVD I put into it just fine. The case that attaches to the headrest (my intention was for this to be strictly a car player) is pretty cheap and I'm not sure how well it would hold up. Although the screen can swivel 180 degrees and close back on itself, the case is designed to have the player open in a 90 degree position (like the product image shows). I think this is a really bad idea if you have toddlers... they'd kick off the headrest instantly.

Sending it back :-(