Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on April 6, 2014
The product looks ok, but I bought it for my 5 year olds and it has been a nightmare. These boys have had a portable dvd player for a few years, and this was supposed to be a replacement so they know how to handle and operate the product. First issue, there is no volume control you have to press and hold the stop button which can be tricky if you dont press long enough. The default volume is pretty loud for road trips or watching in their room so this is a frequent battle for the volume adjustment. Next, the warranty is 90 days. Now that the dvd player I bought in January says 'open' constantly I am expected to pay shipping plus $45 to have it repaired. I have had better luck with less expensive options that this so I only consider this an issue of poor quality by this particular manufacturer.

Hint: don't call customer service because they can't understand English, and didn't know what brand of product we were even talking about for the first 10 minutes!
on December 4, 2015
I swore up and down that I wouldn't be that mom. No DVD player in the car. The problem is we frequently drive between 4 and 6 hours to visit family. My toddler's tolerance is about 2 hours. Then she gets "squeaky." My husband doesn't deal very well with that, and after about 2.5 hours, it's a lot like being in the car with 2 toddlers. Really, it makes me dread traveling.

Enter the Sylvania 9-inch portable DVD player. I suppose any DVD player would do, but I got this one on a lightning deal for less than $40. It's a live saver. It's probably my second best purchase of my life. I love that it comes with the car straps an flipping it into a tablet display (sorry, not touch screen). I flipped it so that it's in tablet mode and strapped it in upside down. The player worked perfectly with no skips or anything. I've had the best drives since I got this DVD player.

The biggest problems with this are that the volume isn't very loud and the cords are pretty short. I rigged it up with an inverter, which extends the power cord and with an external speaker to boost the volume. Both worked swimmingly. I wish it was blue tooth, and I'm sure there are some DVD players that are, but for the amount of use we get out of this, i'll work just fine.

I could make a long list of "when I have kids, I'm never going to do that" statements that I've done an about face on. There is no shame in a DVD player in the car. No screen time before 2. Yeah right, my 2 year old has learned her numbers and letters from Sesame Street and Super Why! I'm starting to think those back packs with leashes are a pretty good idea.
on September 25, 2014
Great player except the remote controller stopped working after a week. Called because I paid extra for warranty service and after being switched to different people they said they would send me out a new one....been a month....nothing.
on December 3, 2013
I shopped around for quite some time to find a cheap DVD player that also plays movies from flash media. I honestly don't know if I've ever even used the DVD player on this unit more than once, since SD cards are so much more convenient.

It took a bit to get the proper video settings figured out, but I think I now have the perfect mix of file size and picture quality. I recommend using TEncoder for conversion after tweaking the default "DVD_Player_mp4" preset profile to reflect the following:

Video Options
Video Bitrate: 2000
Size: 720 x 480
FPS: 30 (Very important if your source is 60fps)

Audio Options
Audio Codec: MP3
S. Rate: 44100

This gives me great playback at a quality I can stand if I happen to be watching over my son's shoulder. I have tried more aggressive resolution/bitrate settings, but depending on the amount of action on the screen at one time, clipping and stuttering occurs.

The audio can be quiet as some other reviewers point out, but I find that it varies based on your source media more than anything. I've transcoded some videos that are whisper quiet on this unit, while others have me scrambling to find the volume down button.

The included accessories, save for the remote, are junk - though the carrying case/headset mount is still working just fine for me.
on May 1, 2012
Great little DVD player. With an older vehicle and a younger son, long trips are boring for him. This little player worked well on our most recent 7 hour drive, he only fell asleep during one DVD and it was no difficulty shutting it down until he woke up. The remote is not too handy with our carry case, the sensor is hidden by the case lip so all adjustment in the car required reaching around the headrest to physically push the right buttons. Easy enough to keep him entertained, and his preoccupation allowed us to plan our stops for refueling, leg-stretching, and bathroom breaks instead of monitoring his mood & stopping to alleviate his frustration.

I was able to watch some with him (how many times can you watch the same "Curious George" episode?), and the player is great, the screen very viewable, the sound okay. Didn't use the headphones (I'm sorry, they are pretty cheap looking and I'm not sticking anything in my son's ears that may or may not keep a reliable volume....he'll wear real headphones with ME adjusting the volume for now!), but did use the included 12v adapter. Battery life seems good, we only ran it 20 minutes on battery and saw no difference in playback. We'll drain it one day soon to see how long it runs on battery.

Good value, very much worth the price!
on December 6, 2011
Once the player is playing all is well. Great picture ... love the 9 inch. I would purchase the player again even knowing the annoying things about it. For instance: when the player is turned on, the volume is set to maximum (19) ... to lower the volume you must depress the decrease volume button ten times to get it to mid-range. I have looked at the settings a dozen or so times and cannot see how to change that volume initial setting. Next, all the buttons are loud when you depress them ... very "clicky" ... not silent at all. And lastly, the player motor is a little noisy ... once you play the DVD the noise is covered up ... but it is there. None of these are problems are deal breakers for me but there is certainly room for improvement.

However, I will comment that my last DVD player was high-end Sony and it had its little quirks also.
on February 12, 2012
Good product for the price, sound needs to be a little higher, otherwise a nice DVD. I enjoy watching movies and needed something reliable but not expensive. Nice having a bag for the DVD to keep everything together.
on June 26, 2012
To start off, super fast shipping (fast even for prime). Player looks great and is really lightweight. The carrying bag/ mounting strap combo is paper thin and pretty much worthless (Why design a swivel screen and have it mount in the traditional open form?)

Ok now the issues I see immediately. 1) Shipping address was from a Returns Center. 2) Plastic bags that contain the chargers and adapters are made out of different types of plastics (makes you think repackaging). 3) The sticky film protector they put on in the factory to protect the case and the screen was not smooth and tight. It had air bubbles and wrinkles, like it had been reapplied. But of course I can not prove it's a return or exchange, but wanted to let people know what I noticed.
on March 13, 2014
I'm very disappointed in this product. I purchased it for a gift. It hasn't been used but a couple of months. The power cord came apart and we bought another cord at Walmart and it still won't work. I got another dvd player for the car several years ago and it's really been used and is still going strong. Unlike this one that has hardly been used at all. I go online to inquire about exchange or return and I can't even find a place to contact a seller. It just said unable to return. Return window was up January 31. If I had purchased at good ole Walmart, I would still be able to take it back for a lot longer than one month. I will certainly keep this in mind before I purchase from Amazon again.
on August 22, 2013
Picture Resolution: 640x234
Power Supply: 100-240V 50/60Hz
Supports PAL and NTSC

Playing of video files from DVD, CD, SD card:
It plays MP4 files with video encoded with MPEG4 part 2, with audio encoded as MP3.
It does not play files encoded with MPEG4 part 10 (x264).
It does not play MKV files.
It plays AVI files encoded with XVID and MP3 audio.
It only plays video that has resolution of 720x480 or less.
Widescreen MP4 files as well as 4x3 resolution files play fine, the 4x3 showing in pillarbox mode.
In order to play video files it is necessary to go into the DVD setup and set TV display to Normal/LB. If you have TV display set at Wide, the playing of the videos is distorted. This in spite of the fact that the screen display is clearly a widescreen display. This is not mentioned in the instruction manual.

Playing of DVD video
Widescreen DVDs play perfectly. 4x3 ("full screen") DVDS play with the picture stretched horizontally, filling the screen, so that everybody looks short and fat (unlike AVI and MP4 files which play correctly in pillarbox mode). Adjusting the TV display in setup to Wide or Normal makes no difference. This is not mentioned in the instruction manual.

Playing music
CDs, DVDs, SD cards with mp3 files can be played. wma files are not recognized.

Encoding mp3 files
The manual states that you can encode a CD into mp3 files and store them on a flash drive. I have not tried this.