I like this tablet, and I keep it on my night stand for evening web surfing before I go to bed. Works great for casual use like that. I find that using the stylus is not necessary and do everything with the tips of my fingernails/thumbnails. No finger touches work, however, but I quickly got used to the method I now use.

But, when I go out, I still take my...
Published on January 20, 2011 by squashpup

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but no iPad
I purchased the Sylvania mini tablet in December 2010, but it has a better processor than the Augen tablet.

Android 2.1 was optimized for smartphones with smaller screens, and is not optimized for tablet devices. The Sylvania mini tablet can do the following:

Published on January 7, 2011 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Not great, not bad. Don't depend on it as your primary mobile device., January 20, 2011
This review is from: Sylvania SYNET7LP 7-Inch Mini Tablet (Black) (Personal Computers)

But, when I go out, I still take my netbook. This device lets me keep the netbook downstairs where I use it most and still browse when I'm in bed without lugging anything around.

There's a good assortment of apps on it, plus a software installer (package manager, for those familiar with Linux) that comes with pre-installed. Limited apps of questionable quality, for the most part. Hint: Download Opera, and use the App Store built into that. Most of the apps are free, there's a much better selection, and heck, Opera is the browser to use anyway.

No Flash, as another user mentioned, but you can watch online videos with the included Skyfire browser, which can pull embedded video and play it in a new window. Works pretty slick, if a bit annoying to switch back and forth between it and other browsers.

There's also a Youtube app, which is handy. Beware that video really sucks the battery, which is OK for browsing (can last several hours), but runs down quickly with video.

Screen rotates. Keyboard works OK, but the enter key doesn't always work correctly, resulting in extra letters added to what you type.

Yes, it requires a microSD card if you want to install anything. Kinda chintzy, and really means that to make the tablet usable, you'll have to make an extra investment, but considering you can find this thing for around $150, it isn't a dealbreaker.

I've never used an Ipad. This is probably not a competitor in any sense of the word. Don't get me wrong, Android is one slick OS, and I'd like to see it optimized for a bigger screen, with a real touch screen. But, if you're wanting an Ipad, get that instead.

I tend to think of the Sylvania tablet as the successor to the handy Nokia tablets of a few years ago, but in a bigger, more usable size, at half the price. And, in that regard, the internet tablet for casual use is becoming ubiquitous, and that's a good thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but no iPad, January 7, 2011

1) Has an accelerometer, but you can also use a setting to manual shift the screen orientation.
2) Can only use 16GB micro SD cards or smaller. The box even states 16GB micro SD cards, and not 32GB micro SD cards.
3) Use the stylus and not your finger, which is due to the problems of Android 2.1 on a tablet device.
4) Comes with a pre-installed music app and a picture/video app.
5) If you enable the third party install option, the following apps work without any problem: Angry Birds, Kindle, ASTRO File Manager, and Flash 10.1. I have problems with the ComiXology app.
6) Device has WiFi for web browsing, e-mail, and other apps that require it.
7) Two web browsers were installed, where links default to Skyfire instead of the Android brower. Skyfire does not like working with airport WiFi or other WiFi that requires an acceptance sign-in.

In general, the device works as my eReader, music player, and video player. If that's what you want, then this tablet is for you. If you want an iPad, wait until the better tablets from CES 2011 are released.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a beginner, November 3, 2011
I purchased this tablet for my 11-year-old who has never had any experience with a tablet before. It was easy to set up and works great. It is a little slow but not bad. All the negative reviews on this product are because people are too eager to compare this to an iPad or other higher end product. For the money you pay you get a solid product made for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars No iPad... but that's not what we bought!, May 11, 2011
Recently purchased one of these to use at work (in a pediatric unit at a hospital) for some of the kids to play games on during procedures. Wasn't really sure at first what to expect, but the price was right so figured it would be worth a shot. It was a little tricky trying to get it set up initially to download apps, and we did have to purchase a microSD card for it in order to download apps thanks to the lack of internal memory. Was able to download the Amazon App store to the device, and have been able to download quite a few of the most popular games from that, and they work great! We browsing is easy & fast. The manual recommends using the stylus, but have found that fingertips tend to work just fine. The device is a great size for what we use (not too big, but big enough for little fingers). Actually, I like it well enough that I am going to get one for home, and one of our doctors is going to buy one for her kid after seeing ours in action! Had it toe-to-toe with one of the patients' iPads today, and when running the same games, this little thing held its own just fine. Overall, it has it's quirks, and it's not as smooth as an iPad, but for the price, I have been extremely impressed!

1.0 out of 5 stars (SIGH), May 9, 2011
It's true what they say. "If you want quality, you have to pay for it." I had it for 3 days and returned it twice. The first one didn't hold a charge and the second one swallowed my sd card. Don't waste your money or for that case, your time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money..., April 11, 2011
When you buy something like this you are saying "I don't want an Ipad or high-end tablet", I want something though that DOES work, is reliable for what I got it for....to browse internet, e-read, and do the basics it's advertisement claims it will. I opened the packaging...the sticker on the screen was stuck on there as if they did not want it removed...it was beyond difficult to remove the stickiness from the screen. No clear protector between screen and sticker. Then, the instruction book has 2 pages. That's it. I am one to read thoroughly through as best I can when I want to know how something I purchased works. I had 2 pages to read. So...I should be a genius with operating? nope. I had my computer guru brother help me navigate through it. Finally figuring out the basics. Still mildly interested in this product. The third day I went to use...and yes I charged as instructed.....I turned it on, and the screen remained FROZEN on the word Sylvania. I tried and tried to call for assistance...kept getting the SAME recording to try back later...finally got one that referred me to site. That was less helpful! Eventually went to YOUTUBE...so sad I have to go somewhere else to get help....I was successful ONLY in getting it to turn off! I reset it as instructed...and NOTHING...got a message saying something about not being able to show image or something do to not having SD card? Um, it did not come with one, and it read OPTIONAL..plus, what the hell needed saved? I hadn't gotten to use it yet. Took it back to store and fortunately got my money back...and read online elsewhere too that this product has MAJOR issues with overheating...yep, it does get very HOT..even after short usage. Overall, AGAIN, I didn't want a flat screen that was $500 + , but I DID want one for simple usage....this piece of crap doesn't come close to being worth $1 nevermind the amount I paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level tablet........, July 12, 2011
I bought this tablet about a month ago and have enjoyed it since. They have it upgraded to Android 2.2(Froyo) and continue to support it. It is a bargain at the for the 100-150 range and is a great tablet to get you started in the world of Android.

I have not rooted this tablet so I am running the OEM android 2.2. It comes with SlideME market place that has 10,000 plus apps and get gets new ones all the time so you will never be without apps to play. It runs nearly all of them well but I did have trouble with one game before I updated the tablet to 2.2.

The touchscreen is a resistive screen so the tip of your finger or a stylist is a must but it works well and after you get used to it you will be playing games and zipping around the internet without any problems.

It has a powerful 1 Ghz processer but the ram is a little low (256 megs)although Android is great with memory management so 256 is more than enough.

The one gripe I have is that it has 2 gigs of space but will not let you install to the internal memory with a SD card inside. Not a huge deal but a little annoying.

For this price I would recomened it to anyone that want a entry level Android tab. For this price you can get to learn the O.S. and enjoy the convenience of having a tablet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than impressive, March 8, 2011
The tablet was majorly disappointing. Features listed for the tablet are non existent. The camera is not there the ambient light sensor isn't there. The device is overwhelmingly slow on start up. If you lose WiFi signal the device doesn't auto reconnect. There is no access to the Android Market. I wound up giving it to my sister who only uses it to read PDFs. Tech support is horrible they never answer any calls and it takes them days if not weeks to get a response via email which is the way they recommend contact.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much trouble, no customer service AT ALL, June 17, 2011
Michael S. Lile (River Oaks, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
I recently acquired the Sylvania Mini Tablet to try and see a lot of problems typical to the Sylvania line of electronics.

1. Does not save any info: You have to constantly recalibrate the touchscreen, change the weather options, and re-enter passwords to the networks when you turn it off. There is no sleep mode.

2. No room on the device: The default apps take up all the space on the ram in the device. There is also no option to install to SD card. Basically, nothing will install.

3. Unable to upgrade: The Auto-update feature will not work, and there is no manual feature on the website.

4. Customer Service completely absent: I tried voicing my issues to Sylvania via Email and telephone. No response to email, and telephone service is nothing more than a machine to take messages. In other words, no support.

All in all, one of the worst Android devices I've run across... best bet is to save the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little truth on Android and Tablet's - - -, November 30, 2011
This Sylvania is actually built by one of the 4 companies making Android tablets. (read google's quaterly statements to see what 4 companies are paying royalties to google for Android support - regardless of the name on the product there's 4 and this includes phones - really 4 companies make the products for hundreds of companies around the world - it's called LICENSED MERCHANDISING).

The core hardware is what your buying. Everyone has their own SPEC (like a Spec house) that it's built to, this is what generally comes from the MFG or the Company hiring the MFG(Sylvania in this case). The internals are indentical to Dpad, Rpad, Viewsonic.

What you should be looking for is Android OS version 2.2+ and whether the company name is offering backend support like OS and Firmware updates (OS and Firmware are NOT the same thing). Sylvania is paying for the update support so you should be capable of going to 2.3 as of today (11/30/2011). You won't get to 3.0+ however and that's probably a let down for long term usage.

Adobe Flash runs on this ARM11 chip and the ARM11 is the minimum you'd want to look for. Regardless of the brand (Samsung, VIA, etc...) you want ARM11+. [...] ARM is just the TYPE of cpu and it's a licensed design so the Samsung and Via ARM11 are the same chip with different prices. VIA however builds their own cores for Android SO watch there as updates can't be generic and you must compile for VIA... Another story...

The graphics on this are excellent. The screen.... SO/SO.

YOU NEED TO UPDATE TO 2.2.x! 2.0 and 2.1 were massive proccesor hogs. It's like Vista on a 10yr old computer and 2.2 is like Win7 on a 6 core AMD monster. Angry Birds plays perfectly. Sylvania has 2.2.3 update as of this writing and you'll need an SD Card to update... 2.2 allows you to move the apps to the SD card SO you can install more than 5 or 6.

Anything with Android 2.0/2.1 or less is worthless. Google has stopped any support for that version as well. It's a dog and you have to update. If you can't update (Hello Velocity Cruz) your stuck with a brick that while works for what it does could be so much better, like twice as better.

The info on ARM11 and why it's ideal you can read here: [...]

If you don't like to read... It's the Same CPU used in the high end Android tablets last winter and nobody was complaining about poor performance then ($499 Moto tablet last year used this APU).

Good buy, good hardware. I'm not a fan of Android. It's not a comparison to Apple's mobile iOS platform yet.

If you want an iPad, and android will not be "just like" or even close. If you want an ipad, buy an ipad. If you like to tinker or just need something inexpensive this is the way to go.

STUDENTS: Schools are NOT 100% supportive of Android because of the massive variance in hardware design and software support. Most schools support iPad and offer some support to Android. Your education should be pretty much guaranteed at the price you pay, don't skimp or you could be wasting more than $300+. Get it.

Sylvania SYNET7LP 7-Inch Mini Tablet (Black)
Used & New from: $55.00