‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sylvie, June 16, 2009
This review is from: Sylvie (Hardcover)
Sylvie, written and illustrated by Jennifer Sattler, is the story of an adorable pink flamingo, searching for her identity. When she wonders why she is pink instead of a different color and her mother tells her it's because of the shrimp that flamingos eat, Sylvie decides to try out some different colors, by eating lots of different things.

Sylvie samples some grapes and turns a lovely shade of purple, snacks on some chocolate and becomes a beautiful brown, and even consumes a piece of paisley bathing suit and is instantly a gorgeous paisley all over. However, after trying all of wonderful colors, Sylvie feels a bit yucky and a whole lot less like Sylvie.

Though the plot is one like a lot we've heard before....trying out different identities before truly loving one's self, Sylvie is presented in a unique, super-cute, funny manner, with hilarious illustrations, and some great. This would make a wonderful read aloud!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story and artwork, September 3, 2009
This review is from: Sylvie (Hardcover)
This book is well written and the paintings by Sattler are fabulous. It is the story of a young flamingo named Sylvie. Once she finds out that she and her family and all the flamingos are pink because the shrimp they eat are pink, she decides to experiment. She soon realizes that if she eats different things she can change her color, and what fun she has trying to be different. She turns green and purple, and brown, blue red stripy and even paisley. The illustration paintings by the author are fun and funny and will make your children laugh out loud. Join Sylvie in her experiments as she tries different colors but realizes it is best to just be yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous use of colors and imaginative approach to teaching children about embracing their inner selves, August 30, 2009
This review is from: Sylvie (Hardcover)
"Sylvie" by author-illustrator Jennifer Sattler takes a unique approach to the theme of embracing one's true self, via a cute little flamingo, Sylvie who wonders why she is pink. Her mother tells her it's due to the pink shrimp they eat, and Sylvie decides to explore the other colors she could be, by eating grapes [and turning purple], munching on a red kite and turning scarlet, etc. Of course, by the end, Sylvie decides she is happier just being her pink self, but does play around a little bit with her food, just for fun's sake:) A great picture book for young children with vibrant colors that will capture young readers' imaginations.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am wonderfully and beautifully made - I am me!, July 18, 2010
This review is from: Sylvie (Hardcover)
Wow - where do I begin? Having several friends with school aged kids, I am always in search for an eye-catching character as a good children's read. After stumbling upon Ms. Sattler's fanciful character, I had to take a peek inside; my childlike imagination was soon captured and I had to purchase Sylvie as gifts as well as keep a copy for my own reminder and inspiration =). (At times, adults should read children's books--it its purest form, we are brought back to the basic teachings in life.)
The colors are vivid--the illustration is magically done; Sylvie's animated personality shines through.
I won't go into details of Sylvie's divinely and playfully written words (other comments did a stellar job of sharing the story line).....Sylvie teaches us that we are indeed wonderfully and beautifully made but sometimes, we learn this lesson by exploring all on our own. Undoubtedly, Sylvie is a memorable character--a legend.
Ms. Sattler has captivated my interest; I am going to check-out her other publishings!

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favorite Children's Book, July 12, 2009
This review is from: Sylvie (Hardcover)
I just might have found my favorite new picture book -- it's called SYLVIE and it's written and illustrated by Jennifer Sattler. I should probably start out this review by saying that I absolutely love flamingos and I have ever since I was in high school. I'm not the type to put the plastic ones in my yard, but I think real, live flamingos are just beautiful. So when I found a book that featured an adorable little flamingo, I couldn't wait to read it!

SYLVIE is just a wonderful book for so many different reasons. First of all, it is an extremely entertaining story and very funny too! When Sylvie realizes that she is pink because she eats pink shrimp, she decides to try some other foods that are different colors (and patterns) to see what happens. She eventually gets sick and doesn't feel (or look) at all like herself. When she returns home and sees her family, she realizes that she should just be herself.

I also thought that the illustrations in the book were just beautiful. Since the author uses a variety of colors and patterns to tell the story, she had the opportunity to make everything in this book extremely eye-catching. Each page is just filled with tons of bright colors, and there are just a few words per page -- absolutely perfect for preschoolers! I have a feeling that it's a book that we're going to read again and again.

I also really liked the message in this story -- that it's always important to be true to yourself. And even if you seem to be just like everyone else (like Sylvie), you can still be special and have your own unique traits. That is a message that I'm constantly trying to tell each of my children and I love that this book reinforces it.

Even though this book features a pink bird, my almost five-year old son loved it too! I'm not going to tell you that my enthusiasm for this book didn't have a little something to do with that, but I really think he did like the book on his own. After we finished reading it (and before I could even ask him what was his favorite part), he told me that he liked "everything" in the story. When I asked him to explain to me what was the best part of the book, he told me that he thought it was funny when Sylvie got sick from eating too much. And then he told me that he really liked the end when Sylvie decided to go back to her family and start eating like a normal flamingo. I was so happy that he grasped the entire story and the message in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite for my four year old, August 14, 2010
This review is from: Sylvie (Hardcover)
I have two daughters and they just love this book. The story line is easily digestable (he he) for kids 3 and up. My daughters continue to ask me to read it for them and my four year, who cannot read yet, has already memorized the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent children's book, June 24, 2009
This review is from: Sylvie (Hardcover)
Sylvie is an excellent children's book. It is well written and entertaining. The illustrations are beautiful. Jennifer Gordon Sattler outdid herself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute book!, June 23, 2014
This review is from: Sylvie (Hardcover)
We like reading this book to our 1 year old. The story is about a flamingo that eats all kinds of things found at the beach to change the color of her body. It's a cute story and the illustrations are very nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story!, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Sylvie (Hardcover)
Excellent choice for young readers who are practicing their reading skills. Story is delightful and one which captures the young reader's imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun book, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Sylvie (Kindle Edition)
Teaches kids that you are what you eat, so choose wisely. Silly book with fun, bright pictures! I recommend it!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sylvie
Sylvie by Jennifer Gordon Sattler (Hardcover - May 26, 2009)
$15.99 $12.47